Island Fortresses

Lord Parkin

aka emperor
Island Fortresses is a Huge (160x160) 8 player island map, but with a twist - I have designed the map so that each island is literally an impenetrable fortress (each player can get out of his own island, but no other player can get in). The reason for doing this was to make impossible (or at least, heavily hinder) the domination and conquest victories, so that the human player must win by either the Space Race, Culture, or the UN victories. Obviously this will force a very interesting change in the strategies of usual warmongers. (Conquest and Domination are not completely impossible because I couldn't get rid of the diplomacy screen city-trade option, but the human player will still find it very difficult to win by those methods.) ENJOY!!! :D

EDIT: Screenshot at last. :)

Attachments

• island_fortresses__parkin_creations_.zip
    30 KB · Views: 513
That is pretty cool idea. Can you post a screene please. One way you can win by domination is paratroopers. Just thought you should know.

Good point, didn't think of that. You can always mod the game to get rid of Paratroopers, though. ;)

Right now I don't have access to civ3, I was just reposting these from another site... so I can't get a screenie for you, sorry. But if someone else has a spare moment and can do that for me, it'd be much appreciated. :)

Screenshot FINALLY attached to the first post. :)

Hmm. . . interesting. i suppose this means that you can get away with no military whatsoever.
you could still bully a city off them and load it up with military via airports though (or just a bit of pop rushing)

this map makes it impossible to trade with any other civ until the airport is buildable and all of your colonies on the outer rim of the islands are cut off from the capital
it's not very practical

Get a few ICBM's and paratroopers and you can win easy. Winning by conquest on a map where only foot soldiers (infantry, para's, marines) can directly take cities would be a good feat. Of course, it basically means that the AI will probably build tonnes of tanks like it always does so all youd need is 1 defender per town (just in case) and a good navy to spot any aircraft carriers with helecopters on (since the distance between islands looks like too far for helicopters from cities to drop off units.)
A very nice idea, although until you get heli's, it'll be very slow and dull.

captain beaver said:
this map makes it impossible to trade with any other civ until the airport is buildable and all of your colonies on the outer rim of the islands are cut off from the capital
it's not very practical

Trade isnt necessary atless you run out of a resource in whch casethe AI wont have extra ones.

Very Cool map I might actually play it

This map was sort of an experiment. Obviously it's not perfect, but at least I reckon it's fairly unique. :)
I am the Future said:
Trade isnt necessary atless you run out of a resource in whch casethe AI wont have extra ones.
Yeah, I had trade in mind, that's why I gave most/all (can't exactly remember which) of the resources up to Flight available on each island, with only the modern ones not available there (you have to go to the centre island to get to them). ;)

Oh, another thing I just thought of, corruption might need to be turned down a little on this map, because of its small amount of land. (I haven't playtested it yet, so I'm not sure though.)

Top Bottom