Essential accessory for map makers: world map with grid overlay

Soufie77

Chieftain
This is a Micro$oft Word document with a world map and a 100x100 isometric grid overlay. If you are a map-maker wannabe but can't find the right resources, this is the perfect tool for you. It can be easily modified for creation of 180x180 or larger maps, or with different types of maps. May post this later, if I have the time.

Attachments

• mapgrid.zip
    40 KB · Views: 1,391
how do i make the overlay fit for larger maps? (the grid shrinks and grows, the number of gridded squares don't)

Here's the same map with a 140x140 overlay. Will provide a 180x180 soon. I'd also be grateful if someone can find a better map than this for the analysis.

Attachments

• mapgrid140x140.zip
    50.9 KB · Views: 514
In order for Soufie77 not to have to make grid overlays in all sizes, I have attempted to make a short tutorial so anyone can make their own grid overlay.

There are two files in the zip. One is tutorial_mapgrid_5x5.doc, which has the instructions and the 5x5 grid. The second one is a 50x50 grid with a picture under it to show what you could possibly do with the overlay.

I apologize now, if the file is written badly or sound condescending. It is not suppose to be either. :) If there needs to be clarifications, I will do my best.

Here's the 180x180 version. Again, I'd be grateful if someone can find or scan me a better map.

Attachments

• mapgrid180x180.zip
    64.3 KB · Views: 668
I will try to post the file again.

Attachments

• tutorial_mapgrid_5x5.zip
    151.4 KB · Views: 632
Thanks very much for the tutorial... as opposed to using word though I decided I wanted to edit my maps in Photoshop 6 and lay an isometric grid on top of them.

Since I like the 20x20 pixel size isogrids yours fit just fine (17x13 pixels). I right-click copied you blank 5x5 isogrid in word, created a new image in Photoshop (which conveniently used the copied image size as a default) and pasted the 5x5 grid there. Using my Photoshop magic wand I isolated a single grid square, created a transparent fill pattern with it and tada!

Now I can overlay a 17x13pixel isometric grid on ANY image I want using Photoshop. Maybe printing the maps or using Word is easier for some but scaling the map to the desired size, overlaying a pre-made isogrid and then saving it as a whole image is what I like to do. Thanks again!

:scan:

Top Bottom