Early Spearman

Risbinroch

Prince
Hi

This is my first unit, following Utahjazz's fantastic tutorial. Not sure if I'm supposed to upload this, as it's not that a good unit. But I will probably get better at it.

UPDATED June 16th 2005: Fixed some animations and included a victory and a fidget animations aswell. The fidget is quite simple though, only the man shaking his head, and not that visible from all angles...

Download: Early Spearman

PS: Don't know if the name fits that well, I was intenionally looking for a bit more "stoneage" look to the man, I made a shield in 3D Studio Max but had problems importing it to Poser and After a while I just gave up and animating him as he is know.... I also had plans to make a more "thorn" type of dress, but with the problems with the shiled I didn't even bother.

All thanks to Kinboat and Utahjazz - woulden't be possible without them.

The animation in the game looks a bit more pixelated, and I don't like them, but doesn't wan't to fiddle much more with this unit.

Not bad for a first try. Its not pixelated at all, that must just be you. The attack animation looks a little choppy though, and in the east attack theres the "flicster bug": part of the spear remains touching the edge. This is because you didn't leave enough pixels (2-3) betweem theanimation and the edge of the frame. The death is pretty slow, but the other animations look okay (These are from utah's spanish pikeman, right?).
Maybe some of the senior animators will be able to help you with the prop issue, I'd like to see what you had come up with.

"Not bad"?! I think that it's a VERY GOOD first unit (with a cople little problems, wich can be easyly solved by my Civ3FlcEdit utility)! ;)

Keep a good work, Risbinroch! :)

Edit: I just made a small improvements with attack and death animations - here they are... ;)

Attachments

• Early Spearman Changed.zip
    165.4 KB · Views: 730
That is awesome. A stone age defense unit to counter the warrior before the spearman. Of course the stats will have to be fudged for that, but cool IMHO. A first unit!? Wow, that is really good as a first or any after. Great work! :thumbsup:

That's a great unit. There is a sad dearth of spearmen units, and this certainly helps in that regard. I think I prefer this guy to the Firaxis spearman, actually. Good job! :thumbsup:

(Geez, maybe I should start reading utah's tutorial!)

All I can say is: hats off too you. This is a great first unit!

Thanks alot you folks for all the nice words. I'm not at my regular PC right now, but when I get home I will do some more tries with making props and hopefully make some more units. For my personal mod I need more spearman/pikemen type of units anyway. Also need other type of units, but will make more spearman/pikemen types first since I might as well get better at it while I'm

Cyber Dreyk: I can't seem to get your utility to work? It gives me strange colors, below are the firaxis spearman, all units get the same colors.

And I may do a victory and a fidget too since it seems some of you like this unit. I will also include Cyber Dreyks improved flc's to the zip if I do so.

W.i.n.t.e.r: I allready plan to make an african type of the same unit, with a different shield and clothes. (if I can work out the export from max thing first) - was thinking of making a shield somewhat similar to that of the Impi? At least have a "cow-skin" texture for it. And perhaps even "cow-skin" clothes?

But if you like you can offcourse make a color conversion of this too. But if you don't want't the extra work I am as allready mentioned planning on doing an "african early spearman" too. I believe there also is an color conversion of Firaxis's spearman on this board? Not sure who did it, but I plan to use him aswell for my mod.

I also plan doing other culture groups, but not sure what they should look like yet. If someone has a picture of a "stoneage" very early type of unit for other culture groups I would apreciate it.

But it may take a while, have to work out how to export from max correctly first.

I've only just registered but i've downloaded a lot of units from this site and this one is very well-done for a first try. Keep up the good work! :goodjob:

@Risbinroch
those funky colours are most likely caused by you having the colour settings set to 16 bit on your computer, the util only works correctly under 32bit :)

sweet unit :thumbsup:

Dease: thank you! Got it working now. Guess I would have to check this utility out a bit more, looks like it got a lots of possibilities.

I think, since I've got most of my spearman needs satisifed, that I'm going to make this an an ancient era graphic for the spearman and bump the current spearman to Middle Ages.

I must say this puts my first unit to shame... This puts a lot of my first units to shame. The only thing it needs is a victory and a fidget animation. :D

Utah Jazz's Tutorial seems to be one of the best things that has happened to Civ.

Top Bottom