Gatling Gun (22JU05)

DJ Bonebraker

a.k.a Laura
Well, this is my FIRST historical unit, a gatling gun, such as used from the end of the American Civil War up until about 1908. The Gatling Gun was named after Dr. Gatling, the guy who invented it, and saw service as early as 1863, marking the American Civil War as the first war in which machine guns were used. The gun was operated by a hand crank, and had 6 barrels in order to prevent overheating. Interestingly enough, the basic gatling gun design (with realatively few changes) is still in use today in the form of the 7.62 mm Mini guns used on ships and fast-attack boats, as well as the 20 mm Vulcan cannons found on most fighter jets and in the Phalanx CIWS AA turrets on ships.

Preview:

Files: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/Gatling.zip

Attachments

• Gatlingprev.jpg
    Gatlingprev.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 2,603
Looks like a very good unit, but more important, it is much needed!

Now it would be nice to have a Vicker or Maxim gun also, to go between this and the PTW machinegunner...

I might do a vickers sometime, but not right now.

I'm just glad everyone likes it.

This looks great :goodjob: ! Once I find a place for this in my normal CivIII game it's definitely going in :D .

Cool :D My one complaint would be when he bends down to set up the gattling gun... He just bends from his waist, a little bending in the knees would be better.

But it's very good.

Kinboat, I didn't make this unit in Poser, where bending of the knees and such is very simple. Rather I made it in Bryce 5, where such things are troublesome at best. If I hadn't discovered the means of linking legged things together when I did my earlier Custom Sweeper and Death Machine mecha, This project would have probably taken another week to complete.

Again, I'm glad everyone likes this unit, since I know it's been requested at least a dozen times and was even started once, before being abandoned (the guy had Maya and couldn't work out animations or something like that). To answer DBM, what made me do this was that I promised several people that I'd make this unit, and I always keep my promises to the best of my abilities. It might take longer than expected, but I will eventually finish what I promise to do.

Reminds me of the last battle in The Last Samurai in which a couple of these give Tom Cruise a lesson in what would happen in WW1:

Machine Gun > Anything that breathes

Very nice, looks just like aaglo's civil war cannons.

Reminds me of the last battle in The Last Samurai in which a couple of these give Tom Cruise a lesson in what would happen in WW1:

Very nice, looks just like aaglo's civil war cannons.

I think these guns would be too clumsy to handle in trench warfare... the Maxim was a lot smaller. And some dirt in the barrels would pretty much ruin this gun. :)

Maybe someone wants to do a WWI machine gunner?

Edit: Here's the link: http://www.thetankmaster.com/ENGLISH/AFV/maxim120r.asp

Orthanc said:

Man, that was a sad part at the end. It was kind of.... dishonorable to kill all the Samurai with a machine gun, :(
BTW, Very nice unit, Hikaro, :goodjob:

Top Bottom