DAR01 - The Sun Never Sets

Darwin420

Darwin Plays Video Games
Inspired by "The Arab Invasion" SG, I have decided to host my own SG! Welcome to DAR01 - The Sun Never Sets. Please, have a seat and an attendent will be with you shortly. :cool:

First, the basics:

CIV: English
MAP: Slightly modded Rhyes 180x180
DIFFICULTY: Regent (us against 31 civs)

24 to grab, 48 to play. Please give advance warning if you need a skip or a swap.

Special Variants:

GOVERNMENTS:

Note, if you do not feel you can complete all your turns, no problem. Just save where you're at and the next person can take it!

Despotism: Dynasty = 20 turns. As supreme ruler, you can do anything you wish with the British Empire.
Monarchy: Dynasty = 20 turns. Hail to the King, baby!
Feudalism: Dynasty = 15 turns. My liege! If thou art planning a war, thou must receive the blessing of the Lord who is next in queue, else war shall not be pursued.
Republic: Dynasty = 15 turns. As Consul of the British Republic, you must receive the blessing of the next TWO people in line before declaring war.
Democracy: Dynasty = 10. We love the Prime Minister day! If war is your thing, you must have the majority vote of all players before declaring.
Communism: Dynasty = 15 turns. First among equals? Yeah, right. You da' man! And the People's Republic of Britain will follow your rule unquestioningly.
Fascism: Dynasty = 10 turns. Big Brother is watching, um, us! If you are not at war when Fascism is selected as gov't type, you MUST be in a war that turn, and MUST be in war at the end of your dynasty.

- CHANGING GOVERNMENT -

We can only change our government TWICE during the game, so we must be careful. This is to serve two points: ONE) get us out of despotism, and TWO) simulate the fact that there has really only been one major revolution in Britain since William the Conqueror. ALL players must vote on a government change, and 2/3 majority (or thereabouts) wins.

- Once we reach the Industrial Age, Dynasty times will be halved (20 turns = 10 turns ; 15 turns = 8 turns ; 10 turns = 5 turns) -

Soul Warrior's Additional Variant:
Soul Warrior said:
whatever it is we should put in, as a matter of fact, a "we are better than those scum rule" meaning we shall not demean ourselves by the vulgar breaking of treaties

Additionally, since we are trying to recreate the glory of the British Empire, we must set a preference on conquering the historic Imperial Holdings (Australia, India, Canada, etc).

Also, upon contact with the AMERICANS, we MUST declare war. Peace cannot be signed with America until the Modern Age.

-----

ROSTER:

Soul Warrior
Darwin420
CoolioVonHoolio
Vinthekid
Whomp
Methos
MjM

The save and the opening shot.

Good luck, Soul Warrior. Remember, our primary objective is Map Making.

To EVERYONE: Please make sure you understand the variant rules. If you have any questions, please ask!

Attachments

• EnglishStart4000bc.jpg
    EnglishStart4000bc.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 409
Two things that caused the Arab Invasion game to be so difficult on Regent; 1)horrible starting position, and 2) switching governments nearly every turnset. I'm not for sure if England is that bad of a starting posistion as we will have the ability to build curraghs and make contacts. We also have the special rule of switching governments only twice so that won't be a problem either.

One thing though we will still be stuck expanding only England for quite some time so we will be stymied there. The AI's won't be hindered by this so wil be able to expand rapidly and grow larger quicker. Regent is fine by me as well as probably Monarch. I'm just unsure how much our island start will hinder us. Depending on map size I'm thinking Emperor may be too hard.

I'm not for sure about the map as it really doesn't seem right if we're going for the old "The sun never sets on the British Empire". Remember Britian controlled territory in India, Africa, Asia, and Australia (I belive North America too at that time-i.e. Canada and US). I can't see how a Europe map could complete what we are aiming for.

Are there very many good standard or large maps of at least Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia? Leaving out North America would keep the map from getting too large without tarnishing the graphics too much.

Edit: Thinking Regent may be right after all but am curious what others think.

sign me up! i need to read the rules more closely though, i like the idea of arab invasion so i like this!
EDIT: im cool with regent!

if you don't mind... my newbie self would like to join. and though i have beaten Regent, i'm halfway through my monarch game now. i will need tips, but i am a decently quick learner though i would prefer to have the difficulty level at regent

AK has been invited to the game. Waiting to see if he is interested.

I've also posted for a map that better suits the aims of this game, since I could not find one that includes all of Europe to Australia. If anyone has a good map for this, please post a link to it.

Do you think 6 people will be enough, or should we add another person or two? (team vote).

CVH - you're in.. sorry, a little discombobulated this morning. Ugh, this Friday is as bad as a Monday. :crazyeye:

Current Roster:

Darwin420
Whomp
Methos
Soul Warrior
CoolioVonHoolio
--reserved for AK--

Note: we have two more interested parties.. shall we make this a nice, large SG with 8 players?

Also, how does everyone feel about doing this on a World map?

Darwin420 said:
Also, how does everyone feel about doing this on a World map?

Could be interesting on a World Map though it'll definitely be a long game. Most world maps are huge that I recall.

Is England's island start enough to make this tough in the beginning? Also will a world map that is more than likely huge mean that monarch AI's will be extremely tough?

I don't recall every playing a huge map so don't know how it affects the game and/or difficulty level.

lurker's comment: You know what might be fun on a world map...modding the corruption so that your far away "colonies" can be productive too.

I think this map might work as the English: Rhye's Earth Map (180x180)

Our European neighbors will also be a little small, but other civs will have an opportunity to grow quite large. Could be an interesting challenge.

I'm going to look over the map nice and close tonight after work, to ensure we'd have a sporting chance. If need be, I'll edit Britain to give us a little more space (but not much).

If we go this route, then Map Making becomes VERY important, and I can see early wars to claim parts of Europe.

Looking for a group consensus here. :scan:

EDIT: MeteorPunch - do you know how to do that? I'm not all that good at modding...

Darwin420 said:
EDIT: MeteorPunch - do you know how to do that? I'm not all that good at modding...

Firstly, Rhye has a Earth map that is 134x130...a more suitable size.

Second, to mod the map, go to RULES, EDIT RULES, DIFFICULTY LEVELS. There will be a corruption sliders which you should use. Off the top of my head I don't know what it should be put at, but I'd say between 10-33%. Of note though, you won't have to build courthouses anywhere because of super-low corruption. Also, this will help the AI as much as you, so it's not really a cheat.

I'd probably go with the smaller one MP mentioned. I'm not for sure if it'll need to be adjusted so that England has more land as I can't see anyone else being able to reach England and settle it before us.

Would it be more interesting to add Scotland to the AI's and put them on the island west of England? Sorry SW, I don't know much about England's geography.

Definitely agree with early wars to take Europe. Wouldn't mind all of Europe part of England. Also like the idea of adjusting corruption since if we don't it'll be way too high to colonize India, Africa, Australia, etc. (you get the picture).

Looking forward to this game!

Edit: Remember England starts off with both Pottery and Alphabet so we shouldn't have to worry too much about the AI getting to MM before us.

on a world map, i think another variation is that we have to try to be historically acurate, like canada, eastern america, south africa, austrialia, egypt, india, and hong kong. i think the map should be a 180x180. not to small or too large.

Brilliant!! Checking in.
I would not be adverse to any level. A world map would be fun. We are doing it now on Igor1.
A few points.....
1. I would remind the participants this should be about a story. It's not just writing a turnlog. So make sure you're up to writing a story. I have printed a few websites that will help you write your story. Maybe Soul Warrior can help us with some other places to learn how to be more British.
2. If we do a world map it may make sense to expand the roster. I see there are a couple newbs to SG's so it may be fun to get them in the game. That being said regent would be a better with this start.

http://www.euronet-london.com/lil/lingo/index.shtml

http://www.lexscripta.com/desktop/dictionaries/slang.html#uk

This one has some typically British names.
http://www.20000-names.com/male_english_names.htm

Top Bottom