Poser Thread Only

polyphemus

join the long blue line
This Thread is intended to simply be a Poser Thread. Only Poser related questions and answers are to be posted here.
My intention is this thread is to have poser users ask questions here and have the poser experts answer them so that anyone having the same problems can just look at this thread. Somewhat like a FAQ thread for poser only that the users will post questions (not me) and others will answer them.
So to start off, I have two questions:

1. I started a foot unit's default animation. I made the unit sway a bit but intead of the chest and hips swaying, the legs and feet instead sway from side to side. I was told to turn the inverse kinetics for the legs on. Unfortunatley they already were on. :cry: So if anyone has any answers to this please post it.

2. I imported a TIE form 3ds format. How do i make it a prop in the 'Setup" room so i can use it freely without importing it all the time and simply use it through the library?

Any answers to these questions are welcomed and hoped to recieve.

1) When I do any animation in Poser, I usually don't move the hip, but rahter the torso and feet independently... I never had the problem you did, though.

2) After you import the model and texture it, go to the "Props" and open a convenient sub library (say Custom Props) and there should be a (+) button at the bottom of the library and when you click on that, it will allow you to save it as a prop in that library (after you give it a name, of course). After that, all you have to do is go to the library and create the prop as you normally would.

That's right. Thanks for your help.

1. I need help on how to create a death animation in poser. the unit i want to create the death animation with is my speederbike.
I need help on how to add smoke and flames for the death in Poser.

2. SOmewhat related question. I want to make a run animation for the same unit. How do i add engine fire to the animation along with engine smoke.

if anyone knows the answers to these i would be most grateful.

Do you know if gMax can be used to make props for Poser figures? gMax files are .GDS rather than .3DS format.

I really like this mod however I´ve encountered a few bugs. Missing Entry in text/Pediaicons.txt ANIMNAME_PRTO_Resister and then i also had problems with a missing ini file for the resister. I´m currently playing as khymerians on Rhyes 134x130 map and i really like this mod but there seems to be room for more techs in the future era... great job despite the bugs, hope there will be a patch or that the real version will be bugfree

As far as I know GMax can't be used to export anything that Poser can import... Although if someone were to write a plugin script for it they might be able to get it to work... Although again I'm not sure of the legal grounds, I think the company would frown on that sort of thing. They provide GMax free but they only let companies who license it write a program to allow it to export into their program.

Special effects are a tricky thing in Poser. If you go to this thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=1397395) I have a gun smoke prop to download with a link (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=2489282&postcount=90) to an explanation of how I use it. A similar method could be used for dust or smoke following a car (with different transparency images, or maybe just those resized or distorted).
For fire (I did a torch on one unit) I just had a small prop that was vaguely flame shaped and in the animation I resized/rotated it to get it to look like a flame leaping around.

thanks kinboat. I download the thread and i hope it helps, probably will.

Thanks

Reserved post for question answer session

This is a question i grabbed from a thread:

Jun 24, 2005, 05:49 PM #1
polyphemus
the eye is upon you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, i am having a little trouble with Poser 5. I am currently making a unit and logically started on the default animation. I am having the unit sway back and forth but instead of the chest swaying, it looks as if the feet are moving. I had this problem in other units, but can't remember how i fixed it The unit is shown here. One is a CIV unit view and the other is a close up. If anyone could help, i would be grateful. Also, please comment on the way the unit looks so i can change it to make it better.

Tools:SBB, PEdit: Tutorial
Threads:StarWars-Unit Request thread, Poser FAQ Thread

polyphemus
View Public Profile
Send a private message to polyphemus
Find More Posts by polyphemus
Add polyphemus to Your Buddy List

Jun 24, 2005, 06:00 PM #2
CamJH
Time draws near

Posts: 754 Turn on Inverse Kinematics for both legs of your main figure, this will lock the character's feet in place.

Figure > Use Inverse Kinematics > LeftLeg (RightLeg)

You can also find me at Full Tilt Poker.

CamJH
View Public Profile
Send a private message to CamJH
Send email to CamJH
Find More Posts by CamJH
Add CamJH to Your Buddy List

Jun 24, 2005, 07:49 PM #3
polyphemus
the eye is upon you

Posts: 129 I already had those turned on. Hmmmmmmmm. And i can't upload the poser file, it's too big, 4.3 MB....

polyphemus
View Public Profile
Send a private message to polyphemus
Find More Posts by polyphemus
Add polyphemus to Your Buddy List

Jun 24, 2005, 08:39 PM #4
CamJH
Time draws near

With those turned on, the feet should be locked in place.

But since they aren't, here's one possible solution. With inverse kinematics turned on, the feet are also given x, y, and z coordinates in the properties' dials. Go through your frames and make sure that each foot maintains the same coordinates throughout your animation. This may seem like a pain in the @ss, but it really doesn't take that long.

On a different note... this is just a tip, so you can completely disregard it if you like. You're default animation has quite a bit of movement in it. The default animation loops constantly while a unit is active, so it's generally better to have very slight movements rather than exagerated ones. Otherwise units can appear to have a kind of drunken sway to them. Like I said, just a tip; it's up to you.

Good luck bud

CamJH
View Public Profile
Send a private message to CamJH
Send email to CamJH
Find More Posts by CamJH
Add CamJH to Your Buddy List

Jul 16, 2005, 08:56 PM #5
polyphemus
the eye is upon you

This was a recent PM betwenn me and Kinboat

A recent PM said:
Kinboat said:
Are the squares facing the camera that you're rendering from? You could go into the materials panel and turn the transparency off for each square so you can see it and make sure they are placed correctly, then turn it on before rendering. Another thing to look for is the scale. Make sure the square that is in that frame is scaled correctly (check the SCALE dial as well as the X, Y, and ZSCALE dials). Even when an object is completely transparent in Poser I can still see a small area of dots that lets me know there is something there... So you should be able to see something.

Kinboat

polyphemus said:
hey kinboat, this is polyphemus. I was wondering if u could clarify for me how to add smoke to animations in poser. I looked through your thread/posts and i got the gunflash part but the smoke still is a bit cloudy for me. I downloaded the smoke props, put them in my animation, and did what you said. I made each one (starting from smoke_1) appear and disappear every 1 frame. so smoke 1 appeared frame 2, disapeared in frame 3, while smoke 2 appeared in frame 2..etc. since the panels are tranparent maybe i can't see the animation...? anyways, i can;t see the animation once i render the frames. Don't know what i am doing wrond so if you could help me out i would be thankful.

i'll try that. Now that i recall the panels weren't facing the camera. If i have any other questions ill PM you again.

Polyphemus, for Gunsmoke and such type effects, I usually just cut and paste them in as an over-layer in PSP that is set at 50% transparency, which ultimately (for me at lease) is faster, and I can make the animation however many frames I want by skipping some of the smoke frames. I use the BMPs that Kinboat uses for his stuff, BTW...

i might have to try that. how do you set the storyboard to 50% transparency?

Actually, when I load the true color storyboard generated by SBB, I also load the apropriate smoke frame .bmp files. I then load the first frame, and choose the option "Paste as New Layer", then move it into position (you might have to use the eraser to delete some parts of the image that overlap what they shouldn't). Then go to the Layer menu, select change layer properties and select layer 2. Adjust the transparency slider to 50%, and close the menu. Now the smoke should kind of blend with the background. Now all you have to do is select "Paste as new selection" and paste for all directions of the first frame. Then switch to the next smoke frame BMP and repeat the Paste as new secetion and editing process until you're done.

Polyphemus said:
What SSD? Oh that SSD. The one that's stuck in my hard drive and won't come out to be editted! No worries, im working on it. The default is done along with the fidget, the one you requested. The attack animation is bugging me. All those lasers have giving me trouble. I do it in poser. when i finish one direction ill post it. The thing is, i can't just rotate the camera since the lighting will be screwed up so i have to manually do an attack for each view. If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please help so i can speed up my work.

if any one can help i would be gratefull

Kinboat said:
Well the way I do it is to rotate the figure instead of the camera. If you need to you could create a sphere prop (make sure you make it invisible and turn off shadows for it). Then you parent the figure (and everything you want to rotate with it) to the sphere. Then you can just rotate the sphere 45 degrees and render again for the different directions.

Kinboat

polyphemus said:
Polyphemus said:
What SSD? Oh that SSD. The one that's stuck in my hard drive and won't come out to be editted! No worries, im working on it. The default is done along with the fidget, the one you requested. The attack animation is bugging me. All those lasers have giving me trouble. I do it in poser. when i finish one direction ill post it. The thing is, i can't just rotate the camera since the lighting will be screwed up so i have to manually do an attack for each view. If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please help so i can speed up my work.

can you help me with this problem?

yes i just rotate the figure but i have many lasers to rotate also...oh got it, ill just parent the lasers to the figure. Thanks.

i need help animating the unit attached

i need help on making the wings moves in and out-attack and run animations.

i know it has something to do with the skeletons in the poser set up room but i just dont know how it works.

please help!!

Attachments

• 1764_lge_eta2(2)[1].jpg
    1764_lge_eta2(2)[1].jpg
    8 KB · Views: 255
If the model isn't posable at all, you need to make it posable in the Setup room. And yes, that means making a skeleton. You need to look at the chapter in the Poser manual on the Setup room and follow it carefully. It's rather pernickety but it's not actually as hard as you might think. I managed to make a posable prop of my own from scratch this way!

Top Bottom