Franklin D. Roosevelt of the USA: 3D Animated, Era Specific Leaderhead (28-06-2005)

jorde

Leaderhead Engineering

Attachments

• Roosevelt Final.JPG
    Roosevelt Final.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 3,117
The best American LH in Civ-world... even better than Sween's Eisenhower, which has always been my personal favorite. Thank you!

I am the Future said:
Looks Great Just One Question.
Why a Toga?

Well... for British leaders I have two options: making them look as germanic barbarians, or just like decent romans.
As Roosevelt is American, but not Native American, I wouldn't consider making him look like one in the first age, and since I've made quite a lot of barbarian leaderheads, I decided to stay away from that look this time, and so he's now a Roman in that age

Bjornlo said:
In case you ever re-do him, (and I do not think you should) you might want to consider some ben franklin glasses for the colonial era.

I am a huge fan of your work. What you do is nothing short of amazing.

Well, if you check the previews, he used to have glasses in that era (inspired by Franklin ;) )

But.... and there always has to be a but, I encountered some problems parenting those damn glasses to the head, and so I decided to remove them instead of trying to imitate the head's movement animating those glasses separately. I had to do that for the last era, though, but at the moment I thought doing the same for both eras was too much (and the result wasn't the best anyway)
I found the same problem when making Hirohito, but somehow I also found how to correct it before I rendered it. It's a pity I couldn't do the same this time :blush:^

And thanks for the good comments on my work :)

That is fantastic! :goodjob: :clap:

There seem to be some odd problems with the your LH, and I'm not sure if everyone else is experiencing them, so I'd like some feedback.

1. Although it is animated, changes in expressions are very abrupt, and seem to have very few frames (e.g. when he blinks in the ancient age animation).

2. There are artifacts on the reeds behind him in the ancient age, these also occur on his right iris, and both eyebrows.

If these are known issues, then I apoligize for pointing them out, but I really like this leaderhead and hope that I'm just doing something stupid in the editor to corrupt the images...

WOW!!! Truly incredible work, jorde! :goodjob:

bad_ronald said:
There seem to be some odd problems with the your LH, and I'm not sure if everyone else is experiencing them, so I'd like some feedback.

1. Although it is animated, changes in expressions are very abrupt, and seem to have very few frames (e.g. when he blinks in the ancient age animation).

2. There are artifacts on the reeds behind him in the ancient age, these also occur on his right iris, and both eyebrows.

If these are known issues, then I apoligize for pointing them out, but I really like this leaderhead and hope that I'm just doing something stupid in the editor to corrupt the images...

Answers to these:

1 - The changes are not very abrupt. In fact, with this leaderhead I made the "mistake" (or not, that's up to everyone to decide) of not exagerating the expressions as much as in other leaderheads (partly due to the fact that I cannot make the expressions very different between the LHs, since I don't have a great variety of morphs to start with). Because of that, there cannot be abrupt expression changes. And the blinkings are the right speed: about three-five frames, like Firaxis' LHs. For some people, though, each LH is opening with +600 frames, instead of the 121 I'm making them with, making the blinks last for much longer than necessary. I don't know why that's happening, but it seems it's not your case anyway.

2 - What artifacts are you talking about? A screenshot would help a lot.

And now, @Anarki: Fine, just post what should be changed, and I'll see what I can do to avoid making so many mistakes in all my leaderheads. :mischief: That'd be way more helpful that just mentioning there are mistakes

I've attached a pic with the artifacts below:

Attachments

• roosartifact.bmp
    181.1 KB · Views: 989
number 2 might be a color problem that the engine cannot handle like pure white.
number 1 is jorde's mistake, and I have done the same on some of mine. it is easily fix, jorde, you need to change the duration of each frame. from about 1 or 3. I usually go with 1. you see there is 600+ frames not 121, but animation pro just combines frames that are the same, while civ 3 will use all the frames so the animation will look slow and then suddenly change to a different spot.
to fix this goto animation pro, or any FLC editor you use, goto "select all frames" then change the duration.

Is that really the solution? Even though Firaxis' leaderheads' frames last from 2 to 5 seconds (or something like that)? I wouldn't have thought that was the problem, but if you say so, I'll believe you :p Thanks a lot.

Now the problem with that might be that I wouldn't be able to upload every leaderhead with that change in the frames duration; so if anyone would volunteer to do so, I'd be thankful for that.

And the artifacts problem: as Shiro said, it might have to do with that area being a too dark colour (probably pure black), which may make the game to have the same problems as it has with pure white

Top Bottom