Gotm 54

Duke of Marlbrough

The Quiet Moderator
Retired Moderator
http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/civ2gotmdownload_54.shtml
Game of the Month #54 (July 2005)

Please note that the submission e-mail for this game and all future games has changed (see below).

The game settings
Normal, Varied, Normal, Temperate, 4 Billion, 60x100 Flat Map
Restarts off
Emperor Level
Restless Tribes
5 Civs
Hippolyta of the Greeks

Starting Techs
- Bronze Working
- Ceremonial Burial
- Warrior Code

Starting Location:

Games will be due on August 6th.

Save

(This is not spoiler material. All I have done is look at the saved game.)

The 4 rivals are Japanese, Germans, Spanish, and Chinese. With the pink civ not present the Supreme power will have a terrible tech cost. Thus this is unsuitable for a space ship strategy unless you keep the number of your cities low.

Restarts off, only 4 rivals two of which are perfectionist and two civilized make this a perfect game for a conquest strategy.

The starting location is very enticing for an OCC: 4 specials and plenty of ocean. Since hitting Supreme is quite rare in OCC tech cost would not be a worry unless some of the civs get killed by rivals or barbarians.

I will be going for an OCC. It is a while since I have played one. And I may not be able to afford the time otherwise.

Ali: I was about to write that an OCC would spend a lot of time as Pathetic, which uses White as KeyCiv but since there is no White civ the tech costs would be penalized. But then I realized that with only 5 civs the "last" civ in Power Rating would only fall as low as Inadequate, because they are counted from the top. So as long as you keep your OCC from being Supreme (kind of a "minimalist" OCC strategy, which I've found successful for gathering alliances and gifts of gold in the past) you should be able to KeyCiv off of the Germans or the Spanish. I think that would work.

Hexer: You are only guaranteed a second settler when you play at Deity level. The other levels will give you a second if your starting location is judged inadequate, similar to the way extra tech is gifted. Exactly how that is figured out is not known at this point. You are correct to point out that this is a serious hindrance. We also do not know yet whether huts are in play, either. The starting location is too tempting to consider wandering a little to see if you can get a NONE unit from a hut anyway. Your call...

ElephantU said:
Hexer: You are only guaranteed a second settler when you play at Deity level.

I know this :D
But a little second settler at the beginning playing non-deity is such a beautiful thing :)

Top Bottom