Civ Runoff Poll

What civ to play as in DemoGame 7

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

greekguy

Missed the Boat
ok, in the trait poll Scientific and Commercial won the day. only 2 civs in C3C have those 2 traits: Korea and Greece. so those are your choices for DG7. if you don't like neither, go and abstain. :p Poll open 3 days. Please go and vote.

Korea. Their H'wacha cannon is murderous. Artillery is the single most powerful concept in Civ III. And with only five cities to produce a war machine, having H'wachas will aid us considerably. You can rely on a 1/3/1 unit for only so long. Artillery is forever.

RegentMan said:
Korea. Their H'wacha cannon is murderous. Artillery is the single most powerful concept in Civ III. And with only five cities to produce a war machine, having H'wachas will aid us considerably. You can rely on a 1/3/1 unit for only so long. Artillery is forever.

I agree...:D

Furiey said:
Korea would be the first C3C Civ that we've played in the Demogame. We made a big point of choosing C3C so we could use the new Civs and traits. If we go for Greece that will be all Vanilla Civs in the final Civ 3 game.

So go Korea!

IIRC, Korea was in PTW.

Show me the Greeks

Points to the curtin

ummm. i dont really care (i like both) so i shall flip a coin. korean being heads and greece tails. (for offical reasons its a 50 cent new zealand coin) and tails wins (its a picture of the HMS endevor) so i vote Greek!

The H'wacha is one of the most useless UU's on the planet. There's no reason to use them while you could be building cavalry. The hoplite on the other hand, allows our cities to be invincible until the medieval age.

The H'wacha is upgradable all the way to radar artillery. It is extremely powerful to be able to knock off a hit point of an enemy unit with no chance of damaging ourselves. If you want to send cavalry against musketmen in cities on hills... be my guest. My ten H'wachas can knock down every musket to, at max, two hit points. Which scenario is better? Plus, you need saltpeter as well as horses for cavalry. With only five cities, I'd rather rely on securing only one resource and not two.

With the industrial age beginning, your cavs will be horribly obsolete, while my H'wachas upgrade to artillery (only for range. H'wachas are as powerful as artillery, so an upgrade is not needed. Infantry will make up the bulk of forces, so in effect, the H'wacha will not be needed to be upgraded) and blow away the enemy's 10 defense infantry.

So please, vote Korea. The hoplite won't make us invincible. 15 swords coming out of the fog will kill two hoplite as easily as two spears.

RegentMan said:
The H'wacha is upgradable all the way to radar artillery. It is extremely powerful to be able to knock off a hit point of an enemy unit with no chance of damaging ourselves.
99% of games don't last until radar artillary. Standard artillary (IA) is the only practical artillary for this game

RegentMan said:
If you want to send cavalry against musketmen in cities on hills... be my guest. My ten H'wachas can knock down every musket to, at max, two hit points. Which scenario is better? Plus, you need saltpeter as well as horses for cavalry. With only five cities, I'd rather rely on securing only one resource and not two.
I would send Cavs against cities with Musketmen for sure. Horses are in abundance anyway (9 per map?).

RegentMan said:
With the industrial age beginning, your cavs will be horribly obsolete, while my H'wachas upgrade to artillery (only for range. H'wachas are as powerful as artillery, so an upgrade is not needed. Infantry will make up the bulk of forces, so in effect, the H'wacha will not be needed to be upgraded) and blow away the enemy's 10 defense infantry.
H'wacha are not as powerful as artillary.

RegentMan said:
So please, vote Korea. The hoplite won't make us invincible. 15 swords coming out of the fog will kill two hoplite as easily as two spears.
I highly doubt we'll see 15 swords coming in this game, and if we did, Hoplite would be better than H'wacha, which isn't even available.

Anyway the main reason is no one voted for the militaristic trait and judging from people's votes, we are pursuing a peaceful (ie: not domintation or conquest) victory. If this is the case a hoplite will be much better as we can sit back and be well defended. Will there be wars? Probably, but even then cannons/H'wacha are useless when we could be running over the enemy with Cavalry.

Either way though, I would put Greece and Korea number 1. and 2. because they have the right traits.

MeteorPunch said:
99% of games don't last until radar artillary. Standard artillary (IA) is the only practical artillary for this game
And what does the H'wacha upgrade to? Artillery? My oh my!

MeteorPunch said:
I would send Cavs against cities with Musketmen for sure. Horses are in abundance anyway (9 per map?).
Poor cavs... so many deaths. With only five cities, odds are we might not get horses. Never be an optimist when it comes to resources. You have to assume that you don't have it, that way you'll take steps to secure them.

MeteorPunch said:
I highly doubt we'll see 15 swords coming in this game, and if we did, Hoplite would be better than H'wacha, which isn't even available.
Hoplite or spear, a sneak AI attack in this game with a SoD will spell, well, doom for us.

MeteorPunch said:
H'wacha are not as powerful as artillary.
The units part of CFC says the H'wacha is 12/1/1 while artillery is 12/2/1. The only difference is range.

EDIT - Wait. If I remember, [c3c] gave H'wachas leathal bombardment in exchange for 8/1/1. That's even better than 12 attack - the ability to completely destroy any invader with no chance of damaging our units in doing so. Beautiful.

MeteorPunch said:
Anyway the main reason is no one voted for the militaristic trait and judging from people's votes, we are pursuing a peaceful (ie: not domintation or conquest) victory. If this is the case a hoplite will be much better as we can sit back and be well defended. Will there be wars? Probably, but even then cannons/H'wacha are useless when we could be running over the enemy with Cavalry.
With only five cities,the AI will constantly be looking at us as a weak civ, prompting more sneak attacks. You mention the defensive capabilities of the hoplite. The H'wacha can obliterate any advancing army, then be used on the offensive. Can the hoplite do that?

classical_hero said:
Remember that the Korean UU replaces the cannon, not the artillery.
Yes, I know. Thanks for posting four times to tell me! ;)

Alright, according to the results of the poll we will be playing as Greece next game. Should be fun and exciting. :)

Top Bottom