Minoan cities

Aion

King
Here's a single-era Minoan city. It's based mostly on the palace of Knossos on Crete. I actually was there, but I was 5 year old back then, so I don't remember much of it. :). It should fit for the Myceneans too. Actually the wall in the walled version is based on the massive cyclopean walls of Mycenae and Tiryns.

Phooh... it took me only a day to make these, but I didn't do much else today :rolleyes:. However, with the huge amount of cities varwnos and RedAlert have produced, I wanted to do something myself, too ;) .

Anyway, here's a preview:

Attachments

• Ingame.jpg
    Ingame.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,233
This is the walled version. The walls are cyclopean walls as they can be found in Mycenae and Tiryns. This means the walls were piled up of huge natural rocks. The ancient Greeks called them cyclopean, because they thought only Cyclopes could have built such massive walls. You can also find Mycenae's famous Lion Gate in the wall, although it's hard to tell due to the small scale. BTW, I know all these things about Mycenae, because I had to make a lecture on Mycenae on my school's study trip to Greece. So, if there's anything you want to know about Mycenae, ask me :lol: .

Attachments

• Ingame walls.jpg
    Ingame walls.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,791
And here are the files. Happy downloading :) .

EDIT: Version 1.00 removed after 13 DLs.
Updated version 1.1 contains varwnos' alternative walled version (preview here).

Attachments

• Minoan cities.zip
    18.3 KB · Views: 489
Wow - that was fast! (too fast even for me to tell you how great these look in the preview thread)

These are just stunning! They're some of the best ancient cities ever. I'm going to use them in the mesopotamia conquest for the greeks.

Edit: I just noticed these cities are also quite unique in that the general direction they seems to be facing is left, rather than right as most cities do.

If you want you can edit these alt walls that i made :)
(although ofcourse it doesnt mean that because i or others dont like them you have to change them)

Attachments

• altminoanwalls.bmp
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,514
They look great, and about time we got a city graphics for the Minoans, good job! :thumbsup:

Thank you for your comments. About the walls: Well, I wanted to achieve a special look, that's why they look a bit unusual. But thanks, varwnos, for making an alternative version. I included them in the zip-file, so people can choose which one they like more.

Somehow, I've must have missed those. They look very good! :)

Good job Aion.
The walls with Minoans are a tricky part. For long we didn't believe they used fortifications at all. However recently, some fortifications, albeit minor ones were discovered. Sadly, I have no pics of them.

However, in the preview thread, the pic you provided Aion, seems to be a mix between Mycenaean and Minoan city, which is not far fetched; contrary to prevailing international arachaeological belief, I think I have 1-2 leads to make me think of Mycenaeans being a direct continuation of Minoans(maybe even parallel to them) not just influenced

Scam0073, nice pic of the Minoan palace you got there. I'd say it's probably close to 80% accurate.

Aion said:
This is the walled version. The walls are cyclopean walls as they can be found in Mycenae and Tiryns. This means the walls were piled up of huge natural rocks. The ancient Greeks called them cyclopean, because they thought only Cyclopes could have built such massive walls. You can also find Mycenae's famous Lion Gate in the wall, although it's hard to tell due to the small scale. BTW, I know all these things about Mycenae, because I had to make a lecture on Mycenae on my school's study trip to Greece. So, if there's anything you want to know about Mycenae, ask me :lol: .

Also, the technique involved mixing together different shaped stones, not similar ones as one would expect, a practice similar to that used in the pre-european Americas inhabitants(a distinction being the Americans used silver to bond the rocks, which is doubtfull for Mycenaeans from what we know).

Very cool city. Since bronze age is my favorit age in history, the more I like this. :)

For walled version... once, at the end of the last year, I started making some mycenian cities, but then I never finished them (cleaning a lot of pixel-mistakes is still to do). So I also never load them up here or elsewhere. But there is still a preview thread here in the forums ... wait ... here it is. May be, I should load them up now, even if they are not finaly done? It could be a nice addition to your minoan cities for any sceanrio maker. And - again may be - you could use one of the walls for another walled version...

Top Bottom