New unit: Viking Spearman (2nd August 2005)

zulu9812

The Newbie Nightmare
This unit is another early medieval spear/pike unit, designed to go betwixt spearman and pikeman.

Cheers to vuldacon for doing the pallette work for me

Download Link (868 KB)

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
Although there is a certain "blue-jeans-effect" to it (civ colour, I presume?) it is looking very nice indeed, Zulu :goodjob:

Yep, that's the civ-colour

Very nice one, Zulu. :goodjob: Thank you. It looks more like an offensive unit rather then defensive. Probably could be some substitution to swordsman with no iron required.

Very nice unit but I before requested a early medieval spearman is it possible to make a alternate shield for the unit with simply a brown color on it

But either way its going in my mod as a vking spearman
If you do make a alternative shield unit it would be a generic europoen spearman

I was waiting for this guy as well. Like I said before, great unit, but the civ colored pants may look a little strange depending on the civ, and the brown beard blends into the brown shirt. Other than that, its another good one.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
I was thinking you should make a unit of yourself Zulu...lol

Did the vikings use spears?
Short answer: NO, sorta
Occasionally Nordic peasants would make crude spears. But the Vikings never had spearmen units. They occasionally had warriors that carried spears, but even those were in a very small minority. And those were to be thrown, not fought with Greek style. More typically would be thrown axes followed by fighting hand to hand with axe and sword.
Their advantages were their better metallurgy, size, and mobility. None of those played into spearmen.

Thats not true. Bondir would have a spear as their main weapon, and Huscarls would carry them aswell as an axe or two and a sax. Vikings fought in a shield wall and used Hogshead formations to break enemy shieldwalls and a Spear is more use in both formations than an axe is.

Tathlum said:
Thats not true. Bondir would have a spear as their main weapon, and Huscarls would carry them aswell as an axe or two and a sax. Vikings fought in a shield wall and used Hogshead formations to break enemy shieldwalls and a Spear is more use in both formations than an axe is.
Bondir means farmer. Not viking.

The soldiers from Birka (the first Swedish city) used spears. That's not armed peasants, we're talking professional soldiers.

@zulu: Thanks mate!

Top Bottom