Operation Three: National Defense aganist barbarians and foregin civilizations

Now that we have 2 cities, met 3 civs that are cleary stronger than us in military might, and have the risk of barbarians to the west and possible right next to Civatonia. To insure the eventual dominace over earth of Fanatikos, we must defend ourselves aganist the evils of the French, Roman, German, and barbarian's armies. I am not asking for 10 hoplites in each city, I'm asking for a basic defense for our cities. Basically, a warrior or 2 in each one, then replaced by hoplites, perhaps 2 or 3. We currently have 2 warrior exploring, with 2 more on their way. I feel, the one in Civatonia should fortify itself to defend aganist barbarians that might come out of the goody hut or a possible French invasion. As for the Olympus warrior, I will open that for discussion, fortifying would be valuable, but there is a lot a land that needs exploring especially near Olympus and Civatonia. Therefore, this warrior could be used to explore Civatonian land, but we need a warrior fortified in Civatonia.

This is emperor level, so we need a strong defense. Two or three warriors, followed by four or three hoplites would be enough for this time.

And, about that old suggestion, I was a little crazy :crazyeye: at that time so forget what I said.

I dont think that those initial warriors should be used for defense just yet, send them out exploring for intell. and we'll then also have an Intellignce wall. If anyone's coming we'll know about it. I say we fortify with Hoplites ASAP, and not waste warriors with fortification. Hoplite are better suited for the task, and are still VERY cheap units.

-Ranger-

My two cents... Warriors aren't good for much other than roaming, wandering exploration. Hoplites are WAY better - as Ranger99 said: If anyone's coming, we'll know about it.

Warriors are simply armed, slower scouts to me. We should be thankful that the Hoplite is UU that we can build since day one and requires no Iron and is as good as the Pikeman. We should utilize it.

I beleve we should hold a good defensive ground before we ever get into entanglements with any of the other civs or barbarians.

The best defense is offense. Instead of 2-3 hoplites in each city we should have maybe 1 hoplite and an archer / swordsmen. Offensive units count more in the 'strength' section (weak, equal, strong) of the F3 screen, so it will deter the AI more than 2 hoplites.

vikingruler said:
I am not asking for 10 hoplites in each city,

vikingruler said:
Basically, a warrior or 2 in each one, then replaced by hoplites, perhaps 2 or 3.
That's essensially ten to fifteen hoplites. Way too much.

I agree with Ginger_Ale. We musn't build up hoplites and hide behind our cities. We must be able to counterattack and take the war to our enemy's lands. When war comes, and we have a handful of offensive units, we'll be able to attack and still have enough funds left over to produce the needed military. With ten to fifteen hoplites, we won't.

I agree, but I think we need to be looking even more offensively than a counter-attack. To secure the resources we need in a limited about of territory that we are given with our city limit, it is essential that we consider going on the offensive to secure a buffer zone where we may safely establish colonies and limit the power of barbarian civilzations.

the land we have no discovered has opened given us many threats and oppurtunities. the persians are no doubt a threat along with the other rival civs, but that will of course change when the military of Fanatikos reigns supreme! :D anyway, we the persians are far away and don't pose a direct threat to us except to our brave warrior, Apollo. We also see another barbarian encampment. we lost the oppurtunity to take a previous camp from the people who killed the mighty Ares, curse those barbaric barbarians. I think we should take the oppurtunity to take this encampment. we will discover WC in 21 turns. i propose uping the slider 10 or preferably 20%, to discover it in 13 turns. our lux slider can remain would remain at 20% and still make our people happy. we will also still make 5 gpt, which is sufficent especially with our large stores of gold already. when we discover wc, i say build an archer and have him destroy the barbarians. we should dispatch our warrior to that area of land to see if the germans will attempt to attack it first, if a unit moves down the warrior will attack the encampment. I'm aganist using a warrior as our desginated barbarian attacker unit because of the risk involved and the value of a warrior. i'm opening all of this to discussion, so feel free to give your opinions and suggestions of my plan.

- Minister of Defense, vikingruler

True, normally in my own games i build a designated Archer or two as a Barbarian Killer and send them out, and use a couple warriors for exploration. you're idea of using the warrior for intell against the Germans is also good. I agree with you on all terms. Archers are better for barbs than warriors.

Good plan.

Top Bottom