TerraForm -- a map editor for CIV dos

Dack

Terra Form
TerraForm -- a map editor for Civilization dos​
Download TerraForm 7.0.105 2Sep2019
See attched file
file size 1.99 mb

TerraForm is distributed as an exe file, after removing it from the zip a double click will install it.

During the installation process you can select an Icon for your desktop.

All constructive criticism welcome.​

P do the following when sending a Private Messages (conversation) to request a TerraForm key. An attached TFK file will be sent via e-mail.

Start TerraForm
Click menu item About
Click Request Registration Key
Follow the instructions in the Request For Registration Key text box.

abc

NOTE: All previous versions are not supported and keys cannot be provided.

The current version is TerraForm105.zip

Attachments

• TerraForm105setup.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,243
Last edited:
1) There is a list of 256 names that are grouped by country, 16 for each country and 32 extra. When the game builds a city it used the next appropriate available city name and places the number corresponding to the new city name in to the active city table. Somehow the game keeps track of the next city name to be used for any given country. I can not find the mechanism that the game uses! Therefore cities TerraForm adds to the game are not appropriate marked as used and if the situation arises the game will create a city with the same name. So I've created a work around until (if ever) the method to keep account of the city names is discovered. That is to use the names from the end of the list first and move backwards thru the list as necessary. Thus using names that are seldom used. Unfortunately this does not fix the problem only delays it. If you reach the point the game will use those cities names resulting in duplicate names.23Aug05 fixed in ver 1.0.7 25Aug05

2) Run Time Error 53 - as some times happens, programs run only on there development machine. Repair is taking place now. 25Aug05 fixed in ver 1.0.9 26Aug05

3) Version 1.0.17 has a bug with roads, should be fixed soon.] fixed in ver 1.0.18

4) A large number of islands will generate a Run-time error '5': Invalid procedure call or argument when you try to save the file. The maximum number of islands this program will allow is approximately 200. fixed in ver 1.0.42 25Jano6

5) City built on the sea shore by TerraForm can't build naval units.07Dec05 fixed in ver 1.0.29 9Dec05

6) Cities created with this program that are near mountains or rivers are not correctly marked in there descriptor so they will NOT be able to produce Hydro plant. The correction is known and will be repaired in a later release. fixed in ver 1.0.30 11Jan06

7) Major Bug TerraForm has a major short coming. The terrain that it modifies does not contain the proper information for the games civilizations to be able to build cities on. Research in to this is ongoing a solution will be forthcoming. see this entry fixed in ver 2.0.45 08Aug06

8) The little map is sometimes in error. Off by a square.

9) In build 45, some map files would cause TerraForm to terminate during the save function. see this entry fixed in ver 2.0.49 02Oct06

10) 16Nov09 - When resetting to 4000bc the city names used listed is not cleared. The results being city names that were used before the reset are skiped over when building new cities in the game or in TerraForm. fixed in ver 5.0.87 or 5.0.88 30Nov09
11) 01Sep11 – The city move function fails to set all appropriate bits. Fixed in ver 6.0.97 28Sep11

.​

Version 7 users

01) jay-bridgewater 04Sep19
02) laser77 06Sep19
03) leibeldms 12Sep19
04) leibeldms 20Sep19
05) reget 03Oct19
06) bautoson 05Oct19
07) alex_civ01 20Oct19
08) olaa 26Oct19
09) fagianooo 02Nov19
10) yurarm 09Nov19
11) bga 15Nov19
13) phillupi 27Nov19
14) menion 30Nov19
15) wrighty 02Dec19
16) jmkosaty 18Dec19
17) menion 01Jan20
18) [kirkham7/COLOR] 04Feb20
19) masaius 24Jan20
20) adolph-stalin 24Jan20
21) sajkijo 25Jan20
22) tunturi 04Feb20
23) geltzer 04Feb20
24) jens-stroemich 07Feb20
25) leandrotlz 07Feb20
26) Aaron88 15Feb20
27) jojo_reloaded 26Feb20
28) djb 27Feb20
29) nubcaek 03Mar20
30) rossen-kostov 04Mar20
31) djb 15Mar20
32) centenciL 15Mar20
36) robindude 18Apr20
38) denzelj 29Apr20
39) rod-astro-man 01May20
40) marta-klemanova 08May20
41) uri 09May20
42) algi 10May20
43) gibsons 16May20
44) jaxck 24May20
45) jha 29May20
46) eriksinn 30May20
47) koppertone 07Jun20
48) marta-klemanova 16Jun20
49) azraellight 01Jul20
50) dartin 03Jul20[/SIZE
51) jordan-rutherford 17Jul20
52) chevas 20Jul20
53) torsten 20Jul20
54) s%C3%B8ren-e-dollerup 29Jul20

Version 6 users list 201+
Link Version 6 users list (first 200)
Link Version 5 users list
Link Version 4 users list
Link Version 3 users list
Link Version 2 users list

In no praticular order the Version 1 users:
1) Noli, 2) hannurabi, 3) krille, 4) Matrix, 5) carniflex, 6) solharis, 7) Goldberg, 8) flobi, 9) wanwan, 10) clownbox, 11) Tenochtitlan, 12) simonnomis, 13) trada, 14) NuPenguin, 15) sehner, 16) Snake05
There may be other users (one or two), I did not keep records but have reconstructed this list from emails.

Depending on the interest I will determine the level of help files I will develop. You must also understand that the current version most likely has some amount of bugs. I hope that other users will point out any they find.

Attachments

• tabtest.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,260
Last edited:
The function of this program is to show the features it is capable of. All user functions are active except SAVE. Save requires a key.

The sole purpose of the key is so that I would know my users. I've been working on this off and on since July 2004. As you might expect there is a lot of code in this program and it still needs work. The amount of effort in maintaining a program for the use of others gets complicated, if it was only for my use I would know the limitations and work around them. So basically I needed feed back, if no one is interested in it and if I have no users then I don't have to use my time to update and maintain the program.

I would like to thank all who sent me question and problems, and especially those who took the time in the difficult task of finding and fixing some of the difficult startup bugs.

I am sorry for any inconvenience, trepidation, or any feelings that anyone is being ill used by the use of keys to activate the save function.

Following the instructions in the Request For Registration Key text box. I am not always available but will send a key at the earliest opportunity. Only email request are accepted as the key is sent as an attachment.

1) What do you need to register?
You must be a civfanatics member and follow the programs instructions in the Request For Registration Key window. You must send your request by email through civfanatics. Registration is an automated process and requires the request to be in a format the registration program understands.​

The steps required to register are:
1) Install and run TerraForm Click About, then Request For Registration Key. Copy the contents of the registration text box.
2)Click on Send email to Dack

Paste the contents of the registration text box in message area of the email.
The Email Subject: should read Request For Registration Key
Any thing other than the above will result in no key.

2) What does The message "All other tabs are currently disabled" mean ?
These are debugging screen that have not been deleted​
3) Screen size must be at least 1024X768

4) When updating to a new version, the easiest way is copy the ini file.If you install to the regular loctation it should be C:\Program Files\TerraForm\TerraForm.ini
Before you remove the old version save the old ini file somewhere. After you have installed the new version copy the old ini file to C:\Program Files\TerraForm\TerraForm.ini
This will save you from have to load the key and set the path to your map files

5) Windows ME/98/95
If you are using something other than XP note the following:
No testing was done on Windows ME/95/98 for version 2. No guarantees that this program will work on anything but a XP machine. (version 1 did work on Windows 98 ver 4.10.1998)
TerraForm uses the Windows Installer (MSI files) to install. In XP and Win 2000 unZIP the downloaded file and double click on the TerraForm.msi file. In ME and 98SE (ver 4.10.2222) it may install the same. In 98 (ver 4.10.1998) and 95 you will have to install the following.

1) Windows Installer 2.0 Redistributable for Windows 95, 98, and Me click here Look down the page and download InstMsiA.exe

2) Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) CORE 1.5 (Windows 95/98)click here
Windows 98SE needs WMI.

*downloads it*
Go Dack! This is going to be fun.
/me can finally add New Zealand to the world map.

There are six main functions:
Terrain modification, Terrain Improvements, Unit, City, Move Terrain, Visibility

Terrain modification

This mode works in three ways
1) Active not checked - in this mode if you click on the large map you see a pop up menu and you can select a terrain type for that square.
2) Active checked - will allow you to select one terrain type each for the right and left mouse. Then by clicking on the large map with the right or left mouse will set that square to that terrain type.
3) Wipe checked - holding down the mouse (left or right) will cause the terrain type to be set as you move the mouse along.
4) addition of centering of big map

Terrain Improvements

You can use a pop up menu or select the function you would like the right & left mouse to perform.
Unit or City
You can add, move, delete cities or units
Move Terrain
Will allow you to replicate areas of the map

The small map allows you to select the area of the large map you wish to work on.

The little blue box allows an instant popup to allow easy change from mode to mode.

:cry: Why do I get a run-time 53: file not found error

Last edited:
GoldBerg said:
1. same here (sometimes) with win98se.

2. no 'OPEN (file)' option available / all disabled
(so nothing is possible to create/access with TF (here))

3. program window size should be movable/changeable/fit-to-screen button top-right is missing.

Goldberg,

I removed my version of TerraForm and then I installed the 1.09 version. It now works fine but you can't save until you get it registered. Now I just need to wait for the registration key. :scan: :sleep:

GoldBerg said:
2. no 'OPEN (file)' option available
Use the path menu item to select a path to the map & sve files. After a path is selected the Open menu functions become active.

GoldBerg said:
3. program window size should be movable
Program uses a fixed 761 by 650 window.

Ifrit9 said:
IMHO, for some reason the interface is user unfriendly.
"for some reason" is pretty vague.
I admit that I have not written any instructions.
And just looking at it now I found a bug.
In the normal click on the big map ocean is not a choice.

But, back to the point. What do you really not like. Remember this is a free program. With money you can have any interface you want - LOL - sorry but I had to type that.

I must admit that I was more interested in getting it to work than how it looked. Come on now be specific what is the most horrible thing about it? How would you improve it?

thanks,

User unfriendly?!? Naaaaaa! Dack helped me to get TerraForm to work prrrrrrfectly and I'm very happy with it! GO DACK!! :goodjob:

GoldBerg said:
1. same here (sometimes) with win98se.

I had the opportunity to install and run TerraForm on a Windows 98 machine. Unfortunately it does not run on 98 (I quite sure 95 will not work either). Until I get a chance to load a 98 system with the development tools and try to figure out what resource is not in 98 and work out a fix; TerraForm does not run on Windows 98.

TerraForm runs with Windows 98, 95 may work also see the top for necessary Microsoft downloads.

Well, I just had such feeling about it ;(. It's hard to define what specifically makes TerraForm a little bit uncomfortable to use. Maybe it's because you didn't make windows, buttons, etc. in the usual Windows style? Maybe smth else. Currently I can state three points that IMHO could be improved:

1. As it was already said here, it annoys that you can't change the main window's size.
2. In the normal terrain modification mode, left-click at the map dublicates the right-click, instead of moving the map, as it was in Civ.
3. Placing mountains doesn't remove the irrigation; placing ocean doesn't remove roads; etc.

Anyway, I didn't mean I don't like the program in general or something. It is the best editor I saw and I wish you good luck. Looking forward to see TerraForm version that will be able to edit .sve files as well.

Quotes from Ifrit9 in Green

1. ... it annoys that you can't change the main window's size.
If you mean that the images of each square terrain should expand or contract as you manipulate the window size. This is not going to happen, the programming effort would just be too large. Sorry but you will have to remain annoyed.

2. In ... terrain modification mode, left-click at the map dublicates the right-click, ....
It really dosen't you get to chose between two types of terrain. But, I undestand that a re-centering mode would be nice. I may add that.

3. Placing mountains doesn't remove the irrigation; placing ocean doesn't remove roads; etc.....
I treated each data function separately. I can see how this could lead to illegal land use (mines in the ocean, etc..). I will have to work up a check box to deal with this.

Looking forward to see TerraForm version that will be able to edit .sve files as well.
I have a program CIV$
Never did get any comments. It's DOS but runs XP/ W2K
I do have an update to it but haven't posted it yet, and I may never.
It does just about anything you could ever want to a savefile

Dack said:
1. ... it annoys that you can't change the main window's size.
If you mean that the images of each square terrain should expand or contract as you manipulate the window size. This is not going to happen, the programming effort would just be too large. Sorry but you will have to remain annoyed.

No, I meant the part of the map that user sees at one time should increase/decrease. The same with controls. Again, haven't you ever worked with ordinary Windows programs written, for instance, in Delphi? Most of them can be stretched.

Quotes from Ifrit9 in Green
No, I meant the part of the map that user sees at one time should increase/decrease. The same with controls. Again, haven't you ever worked with ordinary Windows programs written, for instance, in Delphi? Most of them can be stretched.

I was going to use bit-block transfer but decided on 17 X 17 grid of images. The audience for this so small why knock my self out. I suppose that the grid could be made smaller or bigger I took this code from another mapping program that I wrote it has a zoom effect using the same screen area. So I could make a change but its not really worth it as the code was written for this fixed area and changing it would induce bugs. And the other thing the control area on the left hand side can't really be easily modify without worrying about font sizes and user read ability.

This is just a prelude to what I want this program to do anyway; namely to produce more varied land forms and set up the non-human players automatically. So that I can play games outside the scope of the current game startup.

nice! this is what I've been looking for my entire gaming life (almost). civ 1 is the absolute number one game of all times imo. haven't spent half the time on all other gaming together. and i never got mapedit21 to work. but this looks very promising!

i just wanted you to know, that there are tons of people out there, who don't write on the forums, that appreciate your work. and that this game is if anything still alive!

GREAT JOB!!

krille said:
nice! this is what I've been looking for my entire gaming life (almost). civ 1 is the absolute number one game of all times imo. haven't spent half the time on all other gaming together. and i never got mapedit21 to work. but this looks very promising!

i just wanted you to know, that there are tons of people out there, who don't write on the forums, that appreciate your work. and that this game is if anything still alive!

GREAT JOB!!

1. Same here. :)
2. I have been daydreaming about a map editor like TerraForm when I was in highschool in '92-'94.
3. Great job Dack! :goodjob:

Top Bottom