Tn'T - T2 P1 - Free Tech?

Do you agree to the proposal below?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

truckingpete

On a Stark Trek
This poll is to see if we citizens agree to this proposal:

Bertie said:
I also suggest that after we get Philosophy (assuming we get it first) we go to the "Big Picture" screen before selecting our next tech. It's possible that between now and the time we research Philosophy that another civ may have researched COL. In that case, I'd do a trade for COL, then select Republic for our free tech.

[EDIT:]
If nobody has CoL, then Lit is the free tech...
[/EDIT]

Do we all agree....

Vote please...

NOTE - if I messed the poll, up I MIGHT not be able to fix it, because I might be gone for awhile...

truckingpete,

I really don't want this side issue to cloud what will happen if no other nation has Code of Laws. Unless you wish to state that the default choice is already determined to be Literature.

Even with this questionable tactic (can we even use the Big Picture to trade with other nations??), I still think that Lit is more important right now. We won't have a use for Republic for quite some time yet.

I'll have to vote NO to the poll as written.

Donovan Zoi said:
truckingpete,

I really don't want this side issue to cloud what will happen if no other nation has Code of Laws. Unless you wish to state that the default choice is already determined to be Literature.

Even with this questionable tactic (can we even use the Big Picture to trade with other nations??) you got a point, can we?, I still think that Lit is more important right now. We won't have a use for Republic for quite some time yet.

I'll have to vote NO to the poll as written.

Umm...I was going to edit the first post and say if nobody has CoL, then we get Lit for the free tech..:D

Kind of forgot the bit, until I just posted the poll

You can trade with other nations via the big picture in that way, you just have to be very careful not to close down the screens in the wrong way which is very easy to do. If the DP for this session is not happy to do a trade in this way then it is probably best not to, or to select Literature as the next tech before attempting to trade so that if it gets messed up we still get Literature as the freebie and not one of the cheap earlier techs.

Hmm... We need to get Lit as the free tech, because we need to build that GL.

Here is what I based my yes vote on.

If we can get CoL before or at the same time we get Philosophy, then we select Republic as the free tech.

If we can't get CoL, then we select Literature as the free tech.

If for some reason we don't get a free tech, then we run in circles, throw up our hands, and stop the play session immediately so we can determine how to pick up the pieces. :eek:

Yeah, I doubt that we will get a free tech, DaveShack. Let's pray for the RNG! The AI must have already discovered this technology and all turns we spent researching it may be just a waste of time. But perhaps we can be the first to get philo, and that will be good.

The AI has not already discovered Philosophy. We can keep checking the available trades each turn to see whether they do. We can also check the availability of COL at the same time. That will only leave the turn we get it...

My vote is based the same as DaveShack's
DaveShack said:
If we can get CoL before or at the same time we get Philosophy, then we select Republic as the free tech.

If we can't get CoL, then we select Literature as the free tech.

If for some reason we don't get a free tech, then we run in circles, throw up our hands, and stop the play session immediately so we can determine how to pick up the pieces.
With one added proviso: Select Literature as the free tech in the big picture BEFORE starting the trading. That way if anything happens and the trading is closed before the correct tech is selected we will at least get Literature as the tech we want rather than one that is already available to buy.

One thing about gaining the tech Republic so early. We will be threatened to part with it by our covetous neighbors, and war will be thrust upon us when we say No.

So, I truly hope that no one even has the Code of Laws by turn 5. Otherwise it will be a certain test of my Presidency. First, you are me asking to commit an unsavory practice that I consider a cheat. And secondly, we need Literature far more than we need the Republic right now. We do not yet have the infrastructure to support such a government.

Thankfully, none of our rivals had the Code of Laws. If they had, I may have been forced to disobey this request so that we could get the Great Library. ;)

Top Bottom