Cities of the Mexíca

Traianus

Why is it dark in here?
These are makshift single era cities i put together for the Aztec scenario. I'm not completely satisfied with them but Red Alert said he'd have a go at making another set.
Note; If you look carefully at the metro you can see the dried blood on the steps! ;)

Attachments

• Cities of the Mexica.zip
    17.4 KB · Views: 415
I should have posted in completed graphix modapacks. Sorry!! Could a moderator please move this at his/her conveniance.

Wow - very good cities so far :thumbsup:

I like these a lot. If you are not entirely happy with them, I could help out. I noticed some of the buildings seem a bit wobbly looking, and also may be too large - both things I could remedy, with your permission.

The blood on the stairways and the small houses are nice touches, too.

Please red, do! I was designing them with a mind to giving you an idea of what I wanted. I have a work sheet of all the individual buildings if that might help.
@ Sword. I actually used your cities as a sarting point and I may still use them in some form for the mixtec/tzapotec civs.

P.S Large credit also to Skam's aztec set.

It would be great if you could upload that worksheet. I'm glad I can help.

Though they look very good, I think that they are a bit too light (white) in colour. How about making them a bit darker, and adding some contrast (stronger shadows)?

I'm already using your NA plains cities for the mod so this would be a great addition too. I haven't got that work sheet here with me so it'll have to be tomorrow.
I have quite a lot of graphix done for Aztec now and you are welcome to use anything that might be useful for the Mesoamerican mod. They include lots of tech icons and buildings/wonders like totonac fliers, great pyramid, etc. Anyway, shout if there's anything you need.

@ aaglo. I think you're right. I do want them bright but the contrast seems off and I'm not much of a city maker. I was trying to go for an effect something like Red's Carthage series which I think are excellent.
@ Red. I couldn't get that worksheet - my cd burner is on the blink! If you can wait 'til Monday maybe??

That's no problem. Whatever is good for you ;)

And thank you very much, you have made a lot of things that I will find quite useful in Born of Fire.

Hi Red! I'll upload that sheet now. I really appreciate you doing this for me. I know the result will be great. As I've said already - If there's anything I can do for you, just shout.

This probably isn't final, as I'm still experimenting, but how does this look?

Attachments

• aztecspre1.PNG
    aztecspre1.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 305
Wow... I take it I'm on the right track ;) Thanks!

I'm not sure if you recognize them, varwnos, but a lot of the buildings there are made from yours :goodjob:

RedAlert said:
Wow... I take it I'm on the right track ;) Thanks!

I'm not sure if you recognize them, varwnos, but a lot of the buildings there are made from yours :goodjob:

i do not recognise anything, but this is common with heavy editing ;) I recognise the pattern in the diagonal external line though (two colours, two pixel-parts, first pixel being one and the second the other) :)

i used your absolutely wonderfull city shape (and some of the original building placement-size too, + wall filling) so as to make this byzantine size #1. How much can you recognise? ;)

@ Sword of Geddon: we can all have our city making styles :) Besides we arent paid to do this, so there is no reason to be so critical about it either ;)

Sword_of_Geddon - True enough. As far as I know, though, Aztec architecture doesn't allow for much of anything besides 'blocky' shapes. To make matters worse, they did lay out their cities in grid patterns. You are right though, and I am not entirely happy with how it looks either, though I'm not sure what I should do about it. Anything you can think of to better them would help. Perhaps a few trees could at least bring in an organic touch?

varwnos - Well, ok, you've got me. I cannot say I recognize that at all :lol:
Your work is too good for me to see any trace of my own.

I disagree. My work has its own problems. But it is ussual for the creator to be more conscious of the problems of his own creations, and view those of others as finished things, since to him they are just that, and so he will tend to not focus on anything negative about them, at least not to the degree he is inclined to on his own :)

edit: hm, i think that i entirely missunderstood what you meant! :lol:
yes, it is pretty well covered up ;)

They're beautiful, red. My only request is that you use the big pyramid in the metropolis. I do agree that they look a little too square. One solution might be to put some irregular small buildings around a central square. (see the attatchment)
You only really need that arrangement for the size 2 and 3. The size 1 could just be a small collection of buildings like the one I did.
Are you doing a single era or two? I need a first era consisting of rough less-civilised cities but I'l do that myself if need be.

You haven't dissapointed me, Red. They're pretty much the quality I was expecting to see in your work. :goodjob:

Top Bottom