One City One Wonder - Medieval Vision

Provolution

Sage of Quatronia
After due thought, I figured there are three other wonders for our three remaining cities we must have.

Near the Future military northern border: Augean Stables

Knights Templar (very much in line with Stables and Chivalry, good roleplay value) costs only 300 shields, and give a free Crusader ADM 5/3/1, every 5 turns till steam engine. This means we need a prebuild to max this potential out.
After 4 Crusaders we have earnt back this investment. In my book, crusaders are worth a full 75 shields each, compared to knights at 80 shields (ADM 4/2/2). More so, these can build fortresses as well, which is great in a five city challenge, where fortresses may have a role, like the Apollo Espionage Program on the German-Roman Border.

Near the French Coast: Cultural War Zone: Styx

Sistine Chapel fits in SAAMs religious style excellently, as well as doubles cathedrals permanently. Styx is an indsutrial powerhouse, and may easily handle this 600 shield investment, which effectively will increase the potential population by 3 in all our cities, a full 15 population worth. Each population worth will represent 2 shields per turn production value, which means 20 turns to repay the investment. I really want much bigger cities without touching the slider.

Near the Gold Coast: Financial Center Priapos

As Priapos will be a key source of revenue for future upgrades, I also suggest to locate Leonardo Da Vincis Workshop here. This will reduce gold expenses for upgrades by 50 %. Knowing we may have Knights Templar in Augean Stables, we may well have less shoddy units to upgrade, but still gold will hurt to upgrade all our garrisons (10 hoplites) horsemen and swords to medieval standard. I would say Priapos is a good site for this wonder, being such a peaceful place.

For Olympus and Civatonia, these should handle the main production of military forces, as they face the border of two militaristic civilizations.
These cities are already blessed with wonders, so that is fair.

I like this plan a lot Provo, except for your Priapos wonder suggestion. I don't think Leo's is very valuable, considering we won't be having "mass upgrades" like you do in regular games. Instead, I think Priapos should build Adam Smith's Trading Company, as this will fit into your financial theme nicely. :)

Actually, I agree Greekguy :) You are very right. Still Da Vinci may play out nice.

The Knight's Templar is probabyl one of the more important things. In a normal gaem you have plenty of cities and plenty of choices on which ones to build up, and which ones to have military units be trained in them, things are different in a 5CC, we have to concentrate on military as well as keep up a significent culture value. Which means that these Crusader's will be VERY valuable when it comes to Troop Build-Up freeing yet anohter one of our cities from the job of training men and instead focusing on our economy.

-Ranger99-

i like the plan like everyone else, i just don't like the stable building the knights templar. i think it should but as for prebuilding to the max, no. the stables will and are a major military producer, they are the closest to the french border and therefore should be focusing on fotifying there position first then pre-build and build the knights templar.

Smith's only gives us a few GPT with so few cities. Better would be Copernicus' or Newton's which bump science output for the city building them.

Since we're doing some long-term thinking here, we really must also get ToE in the industrial age.

Fair enough, big deal, I place them at equal value then, 70 each

The advantage is that every 5 turns we get one costing 0 shields. This will pay back the initial investment of 300 shields for Knights Templar after the 5th free Crusader. ie: after 25 turns. Sounds good, but at only 4 spt after corruption, Augean Stables will currently take 75 turns to build it, leaving only 4 cities to build everything else (one of which is building the MOM which only benefits that city). This will improve, but only if we grow the city, and that will require the use of (dare I say it) the lux slider. We must grow our cities, we cannot continue to keep them at pop 3 or 4 all the time.

Sorry, number crunching.

vikingruler said:
i like the plan like everyone else, i just don't like the stable building the knights templar. i think it should but as for prebuilding to the max, no. the stables will and are a major military producer, they are the closest to the french border and therefore should be focusing on fotifying there position first then pre-build and build the knights templar.

you just said it, Augean Stables is a millitary center. that means Knights Templar will greatly help Augean Stables defend itself and other cities. And when our fair country goes on the offensive, our brave Crusaders will lead the charge, backed up Knights and Trebuchets. With such power, we should we force to be reckoned with in the Middle Ages.

Furiey said:
The advantage is that every 5 turns we get one costing 0 shields. This will pay back the initial investment of 300 shields for Knights Templar after the 5th free Crusader. ie: after 25 turns. Sounds good, but at only 4 spt after corruption, Augean Stables will currently take 75 turns to build it, leaving only 4 cities to build everything else (one of which is building the MOM which only benefits that city). This will improve, but only if we grow the city, and that will require the use of (dare I say it) the lux slider. We must grow our cities, we cannot continue to keep them at pop 3 or 4 all the time.

Sorry, number crunching.

I don't mind number crunching as long as we don't use it to screw over our citizens (a la destroying civic and religious buildings to fulfill some in-game perameter to make the game longer because we didn't have the foresight to avoid such a scenario in the first place). But the whole number crunching debate is sooo DG6. ;)

In order to grow our cities, which must be done, I propose a 10-20% tax break to the people once we reach Republic, so that the resulting happiness will allow our cities to grow. This should be no problem if we stall at 0% science for awhile.

After that, I would like to see our cities start using the extra shields to build Cathedrals (which means we should start thinking of Temples now).

temples are a good idea, except i suggest using the Augean Stables, Civatonia, and Olympus/Styx as military pumps until we have an adequate amount of troops for an RDF, then we should start focusing on temples, libraries, etc... I use RDF, as a word to represent a defensive force.

have we agreed on anything about this? maybe there should be a poll...

Greekguy, put up a poll for the Templars in Augean Stables, I recommend that. I prefer the culture value from Templars above temple, and Crusaders above swordsmen. It is a very simple choice. In comparison, it is like pissing in the pants to stay warm building swordsmen. And yes Greekguy, you see me run a tight ship in another game, but in here nobody seems to care, and blame it on soulless number cruncing if I got a decent idea, or roleplay is if is a poor one.

I am 100 % sure we should get Templars, and then make our targeted wars for decent citites built to the point they are worth capturing.

I agree the extra Crusaders will help out on the logistical side of the Military Operations as well.

-Ranger99-

Furiey said:

Sorry, number crunching.

I completely agree with this post. I'm for building the 'Lar, but we need to make sure that we plan to get an effecient city running that's better than five spt as it is as of now.

A plan must be set into place to get the Stables more populated, which could require help from the Nation's workers to build more farms and irrigation in the plains around the city, boosting it's numbers. We'll focus on these, then when we're ready to start building, see what we can do to switch to a more production-centered output. Also, until the completion, we would only have one city with a barracks available (Civantonia) for producing quality military units. However, Civantonia lacks a Marketplace as well as an Aqueduct, and would be hard-pressed to balance the load. Perhaps Olympus could build a barracks and share the load? With Republic coming, it could be an easy buy.

I think that the Knight's Templar could be built, but I'd like to hear more on how the Stables hope to improve their production to ensure a minimum construction time, and also how the Nation will plan to react to being one barracks-enabled city less for that time.

Top Bottom