Negotiations with TNT

Robi D

Minister of (Dis)Order
We have received the following response from TNT

Greetings and salutations Robi D!

Thanks you so very much for your invitation to sit and chat a bit. I am called donsig and I have been chosen to speak for my people. My brothers and I are interested in these 'fine technologies' you speak of and would like to hear more. Do they come in various colors and sizes? I'm afraid my people are poor. We have no 'fine technologies', only these old animal skins we drape around our bodies. Our bronze spear tips enable us to gather many such skins. We look forward to sitting with you in your stone dwellings for we are tired of sleeping in the outdoors. Can you now please show us these 'fine technologies' you have?

donsig

It all sounds very promising, how ever i note they have not said that they either have masonry or IW. This is probably because they don't want to give any info away.
I'll write out a response shortly and post it for viewing, but i want to check, if everyone is happy with swapping alpha for mason or IW.

This the letter i've drafted to be sent if everyone agrees.

Greetings donsig,

We welcome your offer to trade with us. In a meeting with the ministers of my government they have authorized me to offer you the fine technology, Alphabet. We will be happy to trade Alphabet for one of your technologies, that is fair and equitable for both our great nation (For instance we would consider Masonry a fair swap).

As you may be aware our time to take our turn runs short precluding us from more expansive talks, however if our two nations continue along the path of acting in good faith and friendship towards each other, then we see no reason why we can not come to even more fruitful trades in the near future. We look forward to hearing your offer.

Robi D

Letter looks good, Robi D. It seems you just earned yourself an ambassadorship :).

Since there was no objections and time is running short i have sent the letter unchanged, hopefully we will have a response before we need to take our turn. I hope they go for masonry too, hence the ever so suttle hint in the letter.

I have been contacted by MIA via pm. I suspect other members have been as well. What is the timetable for moving the save foward?

*edit* We requested a 48 hour extention and have had the save available for 49 hours. Did the extention get approved? Does this mean we can hold the save for 72 hours total?

Dear magnusmarcus of the Doughnuts

We have noticed the delay in sending the turn and are therefore concerned as to your health ...

Our Diplomat Emperor.Napoleon is very eager to chat with you ... can you make yourselves available to him via IC

or I am very much available on AIM (fe3333au)

So do not be shy we will bring the beverage of your choice if you bring a box or two of those delicious assorted donuts.

Yours sincerely

Feaurius III
Foreign Minister MIA

Tnt has just sent this. So whoevers available can play the turn now, hopefully we can get the deal done next turn

Greetings Robi D,

I have sent word of your generous offer back to my people. My people must discuss the proposal and vote on it. Unfortunately this is not a process that can be completed in a swift manner. Please be patient with us and understand there is nothing to be gained at this point by putting things on hold. Let time march on. In the mean time, are there any other technologies your people are willing to put on the table?

donsig

They are obviously trying to pump us for information without giving any (they have only admitted to having BW). So in spirit of mutal distrust and tentative cooperation ;) i have drafted this respose. I have dangled the carrot of writing for two reasons, one it follows from alpha and gives them more reasons to accept that deal and i'm hoping that since writings realtively expensive and important, they will have to open up with what they have. Again please add your comments/suggestions/ideas, i would like to send it off fairly quickly as i see MIA want to talk to us as well, that way we'll know were we stand with TNT and can look to get the best deal.

Greetings donsig,

We understand that your government has to discuss our offer. As for other technologies we can offer, we have recently discovered the fine art of Writing, however since you don't have the Alphabet technology at the moment which as you know is a prerequisite for writing. If you do take us up on the offer of trading for Alphabet, do you have any technologies that you could trade us for Writing? If so then we are more than happy to discuss possible trades.

Robi D

Not sure about telling them about writing. I think that they cannot see us in their diplo screen yet, so let's just send the turn on. We still have a few turns left on philo, so no hurries.

I don't think they really have anything to trade for writing apart from IW, so my line of think here is to get them to come out with what they have and are researching because they have been very secretive, plus it gives them more reason to do alpha deal.

Greetings donsig,

We understand that your government has to discuss our offer. As for other technologies we can offer, we have recently discovered the fine art of Writing, however since you don't have the Alphabet technology at the moment which as you know is a prerequisite for writing. If you do take us up on the offer of trading for Alphabet, do you have any technologies that you could trade us for Writing? If so then we are more than happy to discuss possible trades.

Robi D

Let's trade then, and don't appear scared. Or they may discover our city has no garrison.

lurker's comment: If the empty city is such a worry for you, I can assume you are sending units towards it ? Or are you playing the "we aren't scared at all" game in such a way that you don't even send reinforcements ?

I'm asking this because I can't remember seeing a picture of the "after situation", only the "there's a warrior on our doorstep" picture.

A spanner has been thrown in the works, this is a letter i just received from TNT's rep donsig

Greetings Robi D,

I regretfully report that your trade offer has become moot. A fine warband led by Dareios (a great friend of Xerxes who leads the war party near Cruller) entered a small village and the people there have given us an alphabet! My countrymen were quite excitied by this free gift though very disappointed that we would not be able to use your alphabet. My people are still eager to trade with yours. Since your people desire to build stone dwellings we are quite willing to show you how this is done if in return you would show us just exactly what it is that one does with an alphabet!

donsig

I'm going to reword my previous letter a little and ask them what they have to give for writing, since thats the only possible trade with them atm, to see what they have to say. Also we need to pop some of the goody huts asap as they wont be there for long.

Rik Meleet said:
lurker's comment: If the empty city is such a worry for you, I can assume you are sending units towards it ? Or are you playing the "we aren't scared at all" game in such a way that you don't even send reinforcements ?

I'm asking this because I can't remember seeing a picture of the "after situation", only the "there's a warrior on our doorstep" picture.

I can answers this since i ended up playing the turn. No reinforcements were rushed to the situation as there is no possible way to get there in time to stop the town being destroyed, not could we pop rush a warrior in time (all these options took 3 turns, they could destroy cruller in 2), so the fact that it is a singular warrior and their willing to trade with us, it was buisness as usual, which is a calculated risk. Also there window of oppertunity is small, they would have to attack immediatly to succeed, so we'll see what happens
*fingers crossed*

Due to TNT discovery of alphabet, this is the amended letter i sent, hopefully they will have a good offer to send back, but in the meantime we should see what MIA are willing to trade.

Good day donsig,

Let us be the first to congratulate you on your good fortune. While we are disappointed our Alphabet trade could not take place we are nevertheless happy to continue to seek other trades with your great nation. As you now have Alphabet we are willing to offer the fine art of Writing, which we recently discovered. However as I am sure you understand, Writing is of much greater value then Alphabet so we would require a more substantial offer then Masonry to trade for it. Is there any other fine technologies that you have in your possession or will have in the near future to trade for Writing? I look forward to hearing from you soon, so that we can continue to build on the good relationship our two great nations have.

Robi D

WAR with TNT!

The Persian warrior has entered our territory, captured a worker, and is in position to capture Cruller next turn.

I'm going to hazard a guess we won't be trading with these guys for a while. :mad:

Here is the declaration of war.
donsig said:
DECLARATION OF WAR 2320 BC, PRESENTED BY GRAND VEZEER DONSIG

The People of Iron hereby officially acknowledge (and rejoice in the fact) that a state of WAR exists between themselves and the People of Iroq. We are brave warriors who came in peace but we were apalled by what we saw. Poor Iroqi women toiling in the mines while the Iroqi men sat around drawing weird shapes in the sand and pretending these shapes were sounds, even while their children live in dwellings made of straw and sticks. Once the Iroqi women saw us we were irresistable to them and they begged to be allowed to come to Iron where they could live in strong houses made of bricks. The men of Iron in Xerxes' war party took pity on the good looking Iroqi women and took them to their bosoms. The not so good looking Iroqi women were made to write down this message and were sent back with it to the men of Iroq. We have but three things to say to the men of Iroq:

1) You should treat your women better.

2) You should not accuse others of breaking rules until you have a code of laws.

3) We are willing to hear what you are willing to offer us to end this war as long as you grovel sufficiently.

Surrender now and pay us a fitting tribute or prepare to be absorbed into the Iron empire.

Grand Vezeer Donsig Shahanshah Provolution

of the Grand Ironic Empire

Attached is the National Iroqi Mascot, the Iroqi Hunting Dog "Gnawing Creep"

Ok point 1 seems to be a poor attempt at humor but i just dont get point 2, when have we accused them of breaking the rules :confused:

as for point 3 i will draft an response to send to donsig, depending on what we decide

On the suggestion of a few people i sent out a message just to see what TNT were looking for in a peace settlement, here is the response.

Greetings Robi D,

In answer to your recent message my people have instructed me to tell you we would consider an acceptable and honorable peace between us if you treat us with honor and respect, pay us a tribute of 10 gold now plus 1 gold per turn in perpetuity; send a group of Iroqi men (a worker) to husband the Iroqi women already residing with our people; and teach us all you know about writing, Code of Laws and map making. If you are inclined to grant us due respect, these *fine technologies* (as you once called them) and send us the gold and worker, we are inclined to end the hostilities between us.

My people await your reply.

donsig

PS - all your goats are belong to us.

They dont want much:rolleyes: , just 10g + 1gpt forever a worker and Writing, CoL and mapmaking??? Interesting that they think we have mapmaking but more interesting is that they still havent got writing, which means they have gone for maths, or the techs towards monarchy.

We should counter by killing there warrior and then send a reply asking if 10 gold and Code of laws is enough. But we need a iron clad agreement that they will not invade us again for aleast 30 turns. Also when they say it is impossible to accept 10gold and code of laws, tell them we are willing to increase our tribute as long as the gurantee peace. Also ask for a formal chat, rather than exchange of messages.

Rather ridiculous. There's no danger atm, so I don't see the point in making peace, certainly not if we pay for it. Giving them a perpetual tribute, or any workers, just means defeat in the long run.

It's good to know what they want though.

Top Bottom