Republic anyone?

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
Greetings Citizens,

As most of you should be aware, our sages have recently discovered the secrets of Republic, a new way to organize our government such that it is more efficient. Since we are at war and had the great Mausoleum in production, it did not seem a good time to make such a sweeping change, however we have now completed this great project and we could obtain peace at any time.

Now the time has come to consider exactly when we want to change government types. This change will cause many years of unproductive anarchy, but the end of that time will usher in a new age of increasing wealth, growth, and productivity.

What say you, the people, on this vitally important decision?

Wait for Priapos to complete either harbor or market, so we can max out our gold in republic, otherwise, Republic as soon as possible.

Furiey said:
Go for it!

A New Government for a New Term!

Down with the Despot!

Your sloganeering is not helping my re-election campaign, Furiey. Not in the least. :( ;)

Yet, I happen to agree. The timeline that presented before the last turnset is complete, and now our push to Republic should begin. Let's make it the first move of the new session.

Provolution said:
Wait for Priapos to complete either harbor or market, so we can max out our gold in republic, otherwise, Republic as soon as possible.

It's 7 turns to a Marketplace, or 1 turn to a Harbor. Further, Styx is 1 turn from finishing the Galley.

We need to switch the next turn. If Priapos switches to a Harbor, that's great. If it doesn't, the Marketplace will be slightly delayed.

Our military forces are strong enough to hold off an ancient era attack, not that I'm worried about Persion. Our cities are in need of the growth that the Republic will bring. Civantonia and Olympus are poised for dramatic boosts to food and production, we MUST take immediate advantage of that.

Don't switch immediately, switch in one turn to allow the Galley to complete, and Priapos to possible switch to and complete a Harbor.

-- Ravensfire, candidate for President

Civlord said:
ravensfire, you're still a member of the Judiciary. Term II is not finished yet.

Yup!

When I post as the Chief Justice, I append Chief Justice after my name. In all other cases, I have a more important role, I am a citizen of Fanatikos. As a citizen, I'm running for President.

So, for Judicial business, you'll see Chief Justice after my name. Anything else, I usually have nothing.

-- Ravensfire, candidate for President

I suggest you put up a poll. one that simply says: when do you want to switch to Republic? Choices: then several time periods.

Since this falls under Presidential powers, I want do anything yet. But if no poll is up by 2 PM my time, I'll put it up.

:doitnow: Civatonia needs that extra non-corrupt shield or two.

I still say that we do it now, as we will not be able to reap any of the financial benefits from the Priapos builds under Anarchy anyway. We will just incur 1 more unnecessary gpt for 5-7 turns. Finish it after we get out.

I would say that the Galley can wait as well, although we do need a replacement for the Galley that inexplicably disappeared along the German coast. Does anyone know what the heck happened here?

But most importantly, there is alway the chance that waiting just one more turn will give Persia enough time to escalate the stakes in this war by drafting some allies. Who wants to take that risk for one Galley and wasted gold?

Donovan Zoi said:
I would say that the Galley can wait as well, although we do need a replacement for the Galley that inexplicably disappeared along the German coast. Does anyone know what the heck happened here?
I think the Galley was lost to barbs, I don't remember the event itself, but I do remember a comment made by a DP (I think it was DS) about bad RNG luck continuing that referred to the event.

you are gith DZ, I posted Complete Harbor in Priapos, only sane thing to do.
But I expect we connect the wines very soon, so we got something to trade for.
Besides, the market will increase that gold as well.

Provolution said:
you are gith DZ, I posted Complete Harbor in Priapos, only sane thing to do.
But I expect we connect the wines very soon, so we got something to trade for.
Besides, the market will increase that gold as well.

Even still, I don't think a Harbor build would merit the delay in our revolution.

Besides, I really hope you will stay the course of building the Marketplace. As I plan to instill a 20-30% lux plan once we enter Republic, a Marketplace will really come in handy before the Harbor.

Further, there are no trade opportunities. France, the only known nation with a sister harbor, does not even have any luxuries to trade. And Rome and Persia have the Luxes, but no known Harbor.

Furiey said:
I think the Galley was lost to barbs, I don't remember the event itself, but I do remember a comment made by a DP (I think it was DS) about bad RNG luck continuing that referred to the event.

Yes, it was able to defeat one Barbarian ship, then it lost to another the next turn.

During turn zero:

[09/22 22:36] <DaveShack> Galley defeats barb galley, no damage

After turn three:
[09/22 23:00] <DaveShack> The RNG really doesn't like me tonight, our galley loses to a barb galley.

I know this is off-topic, but seeing on as it looks like Germany's land mass is larger than I expected, perhaps we should send the next galley the other way around the continent? It would probably be faster to get to the rumored "new world" that people say lies just off the coast of Rome.

As for on-topic, Citizens are ready for a revolution! However, what we've promised them and what we are expecting conflict. One of the main things we have put into the minds of the Citizens is less taxation to support the military at the local level. The support for military thus from each city will be reduced by 75%. Also, citizens demand more National spending of the military to go towards Civilian projects, and we estimate that all non-locally funded military unit will cost twice as much to support than in prior years.

However, those are the negatives. The positives are this:

Less corruption! With no Despot are our figurehead, the Despot's uneeded lavish spending is wasted!
More growth! Many areas set up for farming have been hampered by the Despot's use of bringing food for his nightly feasts! Give this food to the people!

For the most part, these will offset, but I predict that we will have a period of time where the Republic government will have slightly less or same income. Once we grow our cities more and deal with the few citizens that will no doubt disagree (who so far we have been keeping happy with local Police initiatives) we will be in a much better period. On the poll, I'm voting for one turn, as that one turn "lost" is probably going to be less or not that much greater than now.

Top Bottom