Can I handle this?

wenamon

Warlord
My Story:
The first time I played civ2 back in grade 8, it catapulted me into a love for history and all things to do with scholarly achievement. My grades went from D's to A's as I entered high school, and i quickly became the top of my class. All the while, I was spending about 4 hours a day playing the game that had inspired this change.
This was great for high school (because it was easy and required little work), but as I entered university, I found myself in a whole new world. Deciding to pursue pharmacy as a premed degree, I did fairly well the first year, managing to almost match my preformance in high school. But then the worst happened.

Civ 3 came out.

Oh man... did that suck. Countless hours and hours of gameplay forced me to withdraw from many social clubs I had joined in first year and for the first time, civ had started to had a negative effect on my grades. Was I playing too much? no I had actually cut down to maybe 6 hours a week. The problem was the amount of study time I would devote to drawing out maps of my games, envisioning troop movements from Babylon to Nineveh, and deciding on alliances with the Vikings. Instead of studying, I was playing out my games in my head.

Well, I managed to still squeak through pharmacy and my dreams of entering medicine came true this September. But now another foul beast lurks just around the corner. Can I control the monster that will undoubtably grow inside of me? will this one passion of my life destroy all the others? How will my girlfriend respond when I scream out the name "Isabella!" in bed? Am I going crazy?

Find out....... in 15 days :)

I was highly amused by this. Let's all hope the game is worthless so your life won't get ruined. :)

Best post i've seen in a long time!:goodjob:

I have already pre-warned my girlfriend that when Civ 4 comes out I shall be devoting my entire life to it.

Pigalle said:
I was highly amused by this. Let's all hope the game is worthless so your life won't get ruined. :)
Hey that doesnt sound right :p

NinjaCool said:
Hey that doesnt sound right :p
I can understand that you don't like the idea, but you have to consider that a mans whole future is at stake. Is it really worth it?

Pigalle said:
I can understand that you don't like the idea, but you have to consider that a mans whole future is at stake. Is it really worth it?

its not just my future... its the future of every patient I ever treat.

"Sorry, Mrs. Miller, but I don't think I can treat your breast cancer due to the lack of shields (yes SHIELDS not HAMMERS) produced last turn"

"Doctor have you gone crazy?"

"No, just totalitarian. Its cut my shield production in half!"

hold a sec im a student myself....oh Noo! :eek:

Can I control the monster that will undoubtably grow inside of me?
A DECISION has to be made: Just WHAT are your priorities?
Work/Money; Relationships/Love; ... or Civ.

Can you keep control if you buy (and install) Civ4? Can you do things in MODERATION?
Hey! What about myself????!!! (No, I am not going to cancel my pre-order!)

Jaybe said:
A DECISION has to be made: Just WHAT are your priorities?
Work/Money; Relationships/Love; ... or Civ.

Can you keep control if you buy (and install) Civ4? Can you do things in MODERATION?
Hey! What about myself????!!! (No, I am not going to cancel my pre-order!)

what is this moderation you speak of?
you dare mock the grandeur of Lord Sid's work? How could pitiful things like work, money, relationships, and love ever hope to compete with his most grandest of works!

Your head would look good on the end of a pike!

ComradeDavo said:
I have already pre-warned my girlfriend that when Civ 4 comes out I shall be devoting my entire life to it.

Did too. She did'nt like it one bit. Then we got down into some serious diplomacy business... I proposed more serious attention for some cIV time... she flatly declined, and her face told me she was not amused. She started to threaten the wellbeing of my empire by declining me her luxury resources. In shock, I offered her the Kama Sutra tech I had just had researched. That made her amiable again. Still, she got the best of the bargain in the end- a very hard nut to crack. I had to offer her a vast annual amount of understanding and care. Plus the usual sum per turn. All this for just a little bit more playtime. cIV will better be good...

NinjaCool said:
hold a sec im a student myself....oh Noo! :eek:

+1!!! :eek:

Shigga said:
Did too. She did'nt like it one bit. Then we got down into some serious diplomacy business... I proposed more serious attention for some cIV time... she flatly declined, and her face told me she was not amused. She started to threaten the wellbeing of my empire by declining me her luxury resources. In shock, I offered her the Kama Sutra tech I had just had researched. That made her amiable again. Still, she got the best of the bargain in the end- a very hard nut to crack. I had to offer her a vast annual amount of understanding and care. Plus the usual sum per turn. All this for just a little bit more playtime. cIV will better be good...

+1!!! :eek:

hmmm... did you try opening her borders? open borders lead to amicable relationships. Further, you could have traded Fur, this would definately have put a little mroe fun in your relationship.

you dare mock the grandeur of Lord Sid's work? How could pitiful things like work, money, relationships, and love ever hope to compete with his most grandest of works!
Ah, so you would be comfortable if you lost those other "things" also!
While good to hear, I hope you do not regret your decision in the future (particularly if you are young)!

Jaybe said:
Ah, so you would be comfortable if you lost those other "things" also!
While good to hear, I hope you do not regret your decision in the future (particularly if you are young)!

dont worry jaybe, I know my limits.

besides, Im gonna need to make money to pay for civ games, and i need a job to make that money, and I need relationships with other ppl so I can talk about those civ games, and i need love because... hey wait a minute....

sweet more time for civ!

I am reminded of a post regarding Civ3 from Apolyton back in November 2003:

Re: Any complaints about Conquest?

I think the problem is that your not treating her right. Your copy of c3c needs to feel important, so take her to your local market place, and let her spend some of your gold on luxuries for herself. When the sun sets, take her out to a grannary, and rush buy a quality meal. Make sure you've got industrious workers serving you, to ensure prompt service and avoid awkward delays. After you feel her food box is full enough to grow to the next level, a trip to Shakespeare's Theatre may help to put her in the mood, or Copernicus Observatory if she is that way inclined. Avoid Sun Tzu War Academy, as a visit to it is more likely to result in the loss of one or more of your loved ones limbs, which will not put her in the mood for loving. After her trip to the theatre, or night under the stars, take her back to your Forbidden Place, light some candles, dim the lights, take out your Cruise Missile and prepare for a Revolution, and the anachry that follows. (Note, if your loved one is religious, this final stage may be unexpectedly short, so prepare for disapointment.)

Handy Hints.

- Driving the lady around in a sexy tank may help to put her in the mood. A pleasant Chariot ride is even more effective.

- Always use protection. Failure to do so may cause a Courthouse to forceably place you in an expensive 20 year GPT deal.

- Avoid Police Stations, Stock Exchanges, Research Labs, and especially the Manhatton Project.

- If something unfortunate may happen which results in the sudden demise of your loved one, quickly get to the nearest Airport, taking care to avoid all Police Stations on the way.

- If she keeps crashing, take her to the Hospital immediatly. She may need a patch. Be forwarned, sometimes you may have to wait for this patch.

- Being Expansionist may help your chances of finding the right girl for you. For some bizarre reason, it also aviods the butch chicks that beat you up.

- If your significant other looks like she's straight out of the 70's, and has an inkling towards free drugs, free love, and free rock and roll, mention to her how great you think Recycling Plants and Solar Plants are, and continually complain about Tactical Nukes, Coal Plants and Manufacturing Plants.

- Keep and eye on any deals your very good friend makes with others. Mutual protection pacts are a concern, but any rights of passage are a sure sign that she'll not being as faithful as she should.

- Don't forget to establish an embassy before you start firing cruise missiles in her direction.

- You can win over the one you love in many ways, but I suggust you try cultural and diplomatic methods first. Taking her into space would be great, but not particularly practical. I suggest you leave conquest and domination as the last resort. And don't forget, if you're patient, you can always win on points.

- If things aren't going as well as hoped, don't despair, you can always retire.

wenamon said:
hmmm... did you try opening her borders? open borders lead to amicable relationships. Further, you could have traded Fur, this would definately have put a little mroe fun in your relationship.

I seriously considered open borders. I discarded the option because it was to risky. It would have revealed further weak points in my empire and given her targets for her First Strike in the next fight over that particular resource. Which we will certainly have ^^ Furs were out of the question she'd never again repeat that last deal we made for some civ3 time. I got the best of her then because she did not know how important a resource civ3 time was for me and my empire. ;)

Shigga said:
I seriously considered open borders. I discarded the option because it was to risky. It would have revealed further weak points in my empire and given her targets for her First Strike in the next fight over that particular resource. Which we will certainly have ^^ Furs were out of the question she'd never again repeat that last deal we made for some civ3 time. I got the best of her then because she did not know how important a resource civ3 time was for me and my empire. ;)

well it sounds like you're well on your way towards a very cultured victory.

wenamon said:
well it sounds like you're well on your way towards a very cultured victory.

Well I'm planning to drop some culture bombs in strategic intervals. This will put considerable pressure on her and makes sure I got some peaceful times ahead of me- I am ever the builder. I even got names for my little babies. I call them "Theatre" and "Dinner".

Top Bottom