Who-1 A new era has begun!

Whomp

Keep Calm and Carry On
Retired Moderator
Pinch me am I dreaming? :dance:

This game is reserved for any of the academy members or Grumpy Old men who are interested.

I don't know what else to say but let's use this to discuss how we shall proceed, what civ we'll play, level, when you'll get the game, etc. etc.

I figure we'll get this started sometime next week after we've stumbled through a couple SP games.
Who-1 (or is it 2...idiots don't count real good)
Roster Closed
Major Idiot Whomp
Grumpy Wildcat DaveShack
Jive Talkin' Idiot
Eldar...diploma's in the post Sir Eldar.
Tubby...goes on a b'ness trip this particular week. Nice timing! :lol:
<Reserved> Another Grumpy Old Man or a 'Slinger?

On the sidelines for now
Igor learns culture 11/9
Late game for the Grumpy Old Monk

Who-2
Kiddy Whomp
Idiot Processor Pentium
'Lil Grasshoppah Own
Maine Idiot IP
Formula 51
<reserved> Screaming Idiot Beorn or another Grumpy Old man

BTW should we launch a space ship first? :banana:

Oh yeah one more thing....bring your drum. "Who" games require banging on a drum of some sort.
My original tom tom...

I don't even think LK rules will work anymore but only honorable play. :lol:

Hmm, I'm pretty grumpy and very old compared to the forum averages, but don't think I have the required background to automatically qualify. Put me down for a standby slot in case not enough folks show up. :D

DaveShack said:
...in case not enough folks show up. :D

Do you really think that's possible? :lol:

Looks like Whomp edged me out for first post on the new forum. :goodjob: I like that. Fortune favors the bold. :)

- Sirian

:salute:
second idiot to report for duty.

will be getting the most favored nation thingee in about a week.

i would love to try out a culture-religion combo win as England.
or possibly Convert EVERYONE to HINDUS as INDIA.

I've never considered myself a true Idiot (I never did get my graduation scroll, it got lost in the post...?). Maybe just an idiot. May I join, nonetheless?

I hope I qualify as Idiot :). I'd like to join.

Regarding options: Highest level, some Phi (Civ3 sci) leader.

Edit: DaveShack, aren't you playing against the GOM/Idiots in MTDG? Whomp might let you in if you'll be our spy. :D

OK roster is set and 3 more slots are reserved in case they can make it.

DaveShack is in since he knows knows how to "Bear Down"! plus he might buy me a beer at Ventana Canyon or Dirtbag's when I'm in town for homecoming!, would a Civ4 SG be complete without a Jive Talker?, an Eldar?, a brainiac kid and the other usual suspects.

Who-2? (or is it Who-3 due my to Civ3 auto worker/music variant. :confused: Aw well Who-1 it is. ) may have to start soon for the rest of the party. :lol:

Could you put me on standby, please? I should be getting Civ4 on Wednesday, but I'm still not positive it will work on my comp... :eek:

I'll definitely be lurking if it doesn't work. :D

How about two games. I'll start Who-2 with all da idiot "utes"?

Since my last birthday cake said happy 13th b-day it could be me, Idiot Processor Pentium, 'Lil Grasshoppah Own, Maine Idiot IP and Screaming Idiot Beorn.

Then we can have the grumpy old men and older academy members in Who-1 and da "utes" in Who-2.

Here are a few things to discuss from what I've read. Aussie Lurker has been on top of this thing way back so his comments are interesting.
Aussie_Lurker said:
Your best bet in the higher game levels (based on what I have read)?

Obtain any source of marble, stone or copper you can find early on, by hook or by crook. Given the 'penalties' to health and happiness at higher levels, then having food or luxuries are going to become VERY important to your early trade deals. If you have wheat, and another civ has marble, then you are almost certain to get one for the other in trade.

Limit yourself to under a half a dozen cities in the early part of the game, in order to maximise production of Great People. Use them early and often to grab some of the better wonders, tech boosts and culture bursts!

Try and bee-line for the State Property and Serfdom civics-as these will be VERY important in the early part of the game (building tile improvements 50% faster will be very important, I gather).

Well, those are a few key ones I can think of. What is important is that, rather than requiring high-level micromanagement to achieve (as was the case in Civ3) it requires a sharp eye, good diplomatic skills and STRATEGY!!!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.
Greebley had a good idea in his SG so I thought I'd post them here as well. Thanks Greebley. :thumbsup:
Trait - Benefit
Aggressive - Free promotion of melee and gunpowder units. Double production speed of barracks and dry dock.
Creative - +2 culture per city. Double production speed of theater, coliseum.
Expansive - +2 health per city. Double production speed of granary and harbor.
Financial - +1 gold on plots with 2 gold. Double production speed of bank.
Industrious - Wonder production increased 50 percent. Double production speed of Forge.
Organized - Civic upkeep reduced 50 percent. Double production speed of lighthouse and courthouse.
Philosophical - Great People birth rate increased 100 percent. Double production speed of University.
Spiritual - No anarchy. Double production speed of the temple.

I suggested a Spiritual civ in Greebley's game, to allow play with Civics with minimum penalty.

I think the biggest change will the fact that we SHOULDN'T be expanding as fast as we can. I think I heard somewhere that around 6-8 on a normal sized map is a good number.

I'll be playing the Mali for my first solo game, so anyone but them for the civ, preferably.

You said we needed a drum to bring into battle?

Slot me in late and thanks for the invite to what is apparently SG1 in Civ4.

I won't be owning 4 until after the first of November and still have to upgrade the video card.

I'm in PA and ready to play. My copy of civ4 should arrive tomorrow via overnite shipping from Gamestop. Oh and here is some loon playing my drum

Sirian said:
Do you really think that's possible? :lol:

Looks like Whomp edged me out for first post on the new forum. :goodjob: I like that. Fortune favors the bold. :)

- Sirian

"First post!!!" posts/threads are overrated. :p

Top Bottom