Solution for XML problems (German or (EU) version on US Windows)

DaEezT

Civ, Pizza, Spam, Repeat
Update on 27th October: see post 3
Update on 28th October: Microsoft XML Update (Thx to MonkeyGVirus), a suggestion from Isak and another XML solution by CivAlby, and a SoundBlaster 5.1 suggestion from Melissa.

I ran into trouble with my german Civ4 on my US windows and wanted to post this solution in advance.

Symtoms:
You installed the EU (language doesn't matter) on an US Windows (XP + SP2 in my case). (might not be limited to this combo, see post 3)
When you try to run the game it crashes without any error message while the loader says "Audio".
After deactivating audio in the config file (AudioEnabled=0) the game gives you a zillion error popups during startup about some XML errors (float errors).

Solution:
Do: Start-> Settings -> Control Panel -> Reginal and Language Options -> and then either reset to English (United States) or Customize and change the Decimal symbol to . (dot) and group symbol to , (comma).
Now everything (including AudioEnabled=1) should work.

The reason for the problem is probably that Civ4 uses some MS parser/library to work with the XML files. The global schema files says:
<Schema xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-data" xmlns:dt="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes">
and even tho you changed the decimal and group symbols like I did the internals of the MS libraries still work with the US symbols, thus it won't parse correctly.
The alternative to my solution is to change all dots to commas, which is quite a bit more work :p

So now a word of caution from me (I work with XML Signatures, XML report generators and other XML stuff at work)
NEVER EVER USE ANY MICROSOFT XML IMPLEMENTATION! :mad:
Even tho Visual Studio has a nice ER like GUI for working with XML you should only use it to review XML files.
Anybody who wants to use XML in a program should use the XML libraries from Apache which are available in C++ and Java.

Melissa discovered that changing voice recording to use the onboard devices, and all other sounds to use the SB Live card fixed her problems.

I just wanted to update this thread with a few more details about the XML error since it might not be limited to EU game + US Windows combinations.

The XML errors look something like this:
Failed Loading XML file xml/GlobalDefines.xml [.\FMml.cpp:133]
Error parsing XML File - File: xml\globalDefines.xml. Reason
Error parsing '0.7' as float datatype. Line 894, 24, source: <fDefineFloatVal>0.7</fDefineFloatVal>
When you look at that file (it's in ..\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML) you'll see something like this:
<Define>
<!-- the maximum percentage of a city that can be wonders, regular buildings, etc -->
<DefineName>GAME_CITY_SIZE_MAX_PERCENT_UNIQUE</DefineName>
<fDefineFloatVal>0.7</fDefineFloatVal>
</Define>
The seperation symbol of the value (the dot between 0 and 7 in my case) is the root of all evil.
That symbol has to be identical to the decimal symbol in your Regional and Language Options menu (Start-> Settings -> Control Panel -> Reginal and Language Options -> Customize).

If it isn't then the parser won't be able to understand the values in the XML files.

Now, there are two ways to change this:
a) you change all the decimal symbols in all the XML files to the one configured on your windows or
b) you just change the symbol in your windows config

That's all you have to do and it worked fine for me.
THe reason for this problem is probably because the global type definitions of CIv4 (see CIV4GlobalDefinesSchema.xml) define floats as
Code:
	<ElementType name="fDefineFloatVal" content="textOnly" dt:type="float"/>
where dt is a reference to the namespace xmlns:dt="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes"
So the XML parser uses the decimal symbol you defined on your system instead of just using a hardcoded one that fits the way all the XML files are written.

The crash during audio initialization that occurs as long as audio is enabled is also related to this. Probably some volume value that's saved as a float and can't be read either.

Hope this helps alot of ppl. I was near a heart attack when I came home yesterday and Civ wouldn't start :cry:
But I used up my lifetime supply of personal luck to stumble across this solution and it was worth it :goodjob:

PS: look here mommy, I got my own sticky thread :woohoo:

Nice work :)

You seem to know your stuff, so I have to ask, do you have any idea what's wrong in my case. I get this when I try to run the game

I've tried everything, but can't get it to start. All help appreciated.

Failed Loading XML file xml\text\civ4gametextinfos.xml. [.\FXml.cpp:133] Error parsing XML file -
File: xml\text\civ4gametextinfos.xml

Thats one out of around 20-30 errors I get. ( Norwegian XP SP2 )

Tried your fix, didn't work :(

VizlaN said:
Failed Loading XML file xml\text\civ4gametextinfos.xml. [.\FXml.cpp:133] Error parsing XML file -
File: xml\text\civ4gametextinfos.xml

Thats one out of around 20-30 errors I get. ( Norwegian XP SP2 )

Tried your fix, didn't work :(

Problem solved with a format and reinstall of Windows.

Same one on my computer too! I did have a bunch of .NET 2.0 stuff on my computer and other development stuf, so i thought maybe that was it (overwriting the native microsoft .net parser...maybe) but after tons of uninstalling and reinstalling nothing worked.

I do have an ATI Radeon 9600XT and the latest drivers, and installed evrything fine. I thought my video card was to blame...maybe, but I saw that someone else got it working with the same card, and usually video cards don't interact with xml parsing.

I called the tech support today and they said that was the first time that error had been reported to them. He had no info on it, and told me to email him my DXDIAG info so they could analyze the problem. Will call tomorrow to see if there are any updates.

Specs:
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Card name: RADEON 9600 SERIES
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI RADEON 9600 Series AGP (0x4152)
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Memory: 2048MB RAM

If anyone finds a solution please post it here. I will do the same if I find anything out.

Your my hero! Thanks to your hint of setting all regional settings to US ones, i've been able to play the game!! Thank you so for the sugestions!

Civilization IV will not load past the XML check screen

I am getting the following read out:

[32526.062] DBG: FILE Cat Init
[32526.734] DBG: NOT Using XML cache, failed to find crc.dat file
[32526.734] DBG: Game Init
[32526.734] DBG: Multiplayer Init

Please let me know if there is a solution to this

Re-registering the XML version may also work.

To do that on Win2000 or WinXP, go to Start -> Run and type

Regsvr32.exe MSXML3.DLL

Then click ok

Still no luck for me....Thanks for the suggestion

Anyone been able to fix the problem through other means?

VDP83: i got the same error on my notebook, but currently got no solution..

i copyed the crc.dat from my working desktop over now it says xml initial instead the error, but still locks up after the multiplayer thing..

I got no clue what this could be.. :(

have the same problem VDP83 has... I tried installing all that software from Microsoft, etc. but nothing has worked.

Hope someone smarter than me knows how to solve this and replies.

Thanks to anyone who is sharing their success...

I also am having problems at the Checking XML stage. I have downloaded a couple things from microsoft (from a couple suggestions here). That did not help.
FINALLY getting to talk to someone at the customer support, she gave me a link to the same things I already downloaded (see above). I tried again, rebooted (did that a few times). Again same problem.
Seems to be a common problem yet I can not seem to fix it. I have pretty basic computer knowledge.
I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could walk me through a solution via instant messenging. I am on MSN messenger under name BLTurner@Hotmail.com
I am in Los Angeles (West coast) of USA. I will be online some tonight and most likely most of the day Sat and Sun.

PLease help

It does, actually, help to update your audio driver..

I've got a realtek c97 or something, and updating its drivers really fixed this problem for me.. I know it doesn't make sense at first, but the the issue wasnt xml-related, but when the exe tries to init audio, it for some reason looks like an xml error, probably because it was the last thing it managed to do..

So, those of you not getting rid of what seems like an xml error, try updating your audio driver.

By the way, I kinda got the idea from a similar thread over at apolyton.

try making a new-fresh user account on your PC.

then run the game. thats what i did and it worked...for some odd reason.
now all i gotta do is find the program that stops the damn xml thingy

Top Bottom