Failed to Initialize Renderer

magnusmarcus

Prince
I can't get civ4 to start! I keep getting....

Failed to Initialize Renderer - Check DirectX Version and Graphic Settings

I've checked the DirectX Version.... 9.0c

What am I supposed to check for graphic settings..... they are the default.. (Radeon 9550 AGP)

Arghhhh!

yea im haveing the same problem, my specs are intel 3.2ghz hyperthreading. ati radeon 800 Xl, creative sound blaster audigy 2 zs, 1 gb ram. and i downloaded the newest drivers. also i tryed to run it in windowed mode, no luck.

Bah! Same thing happening to me. Also on my X800...maybe Civ 4 doesn't like ATI cards? :(

Same problem here.

Radeon 9550, 1 gig ram, 2.1ghz

Also, something I've noticed that was strange is that I get this error when using the "install" disk to click the application, when I use the "Play" disc, I just get a wrong disc inserted error.

/sigh

previous dozen or so games that I've purchased have worked straight out of the box--the one i'm really excited about...flop

This wouldn't be a Transform and Lighting issue would it?

Add me to the list of those with this problem. I also have an ATI video card (Mobility 9800, 128 meg ram). Updated with the latest drivers and DirectX 9.0c too.

I meet all System specs to play the game: Dell Inspiron 9100, 1 Gig Ram, 3.2 ghz hyperthreading and all the other good stuff. It plays everything else - this is the only one I am having a problem with...

All this is making for for a lousy, disappointing lunch hour as I expected to be fully immersed in the game! Sigh!!

:mad:

This sounds like it could be a driver compatibility issue... possibly the newest ATI drivers aren't compatible for some reason...

Try uninstalling your driver, then install progressively older drivers until it works (remember to physically uninstall the driver each time)... good place to look for drivers is guru3d.com...

I'm having the same issue...Radeon 9600 P4 2ghz and 1gb RAM...have placed two calls in to support so far...they're having me unistall the ATI drivers and installing older 5.7...will keep you posted

same here. failed to initialize renderer.

amd 3200+
1.5gb ram
ati 9600, 256mb

additionally, i read in a previous post that the play disc is really disc 2.

Same problem with the latest ATI drivers. Have a ticket open with support now, I'll hear back in 2 days :p

Where can I grab the 5.7 drivers? Can't find them on the ATI site and guru3d links back to ati for version 5.7

I rolled back all the way to 5.5 with no effect. I'll try 5.7 next but I'm thinking this isn't a driver problem.

If someone does get an old set of drivers to work, let us know :) There may or may not be some pre-halloween candy in the deal for you.

I went hunting for my old Geforce4 mx420 card and slapped it in... It works but the graphics aren't as nice (which is why I bought my new card in the first place.)

Then when I was playing civ my comp crashed when it tried to play a wonder movie! O the agony!

Top Bottom