Installation Issue -feature transfer error

cgoggles

Chieftain
I'm trying to install civ4 and having a reaccuring feature transfer error:
Feature: DefaultFeature
Component: Civ4Component
File: D\data2.cab
Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

I removed all civ4 files, and retried. I got the same error. Then I removed all civ4 files, civ3 files, and alpha centauri files. Still the same.

Anyone else getting this issue, or anyone else know what's up?

But I had success once with installation...I'm worried my CD got damaged between my reinstallation....I simply stuck back in that cardboard folder, maybe that damaged it. Maybe that packaging is the problem

Please help...anyone.

Well, I just tried copying the entire CD to a folder on my computer. After an hour of working at it, the same error got returned. I'll try it on a different machine later tonight.

I have the same problem as well. The game does install on my older computer but not on my newer one :(

It's a no go on my other machine, also. The autorun fails to start setup, and when I manually try to start setup it comes up as a fatal error and shuts down.

I had the same error when I tried to install it on my regular DVD-Rom (Think its a toshiba....Alienware standard DVD drive). I stuck it in my DVD-R and it worked.

I too was also worried about the disc as I had problems getting it out of the damn cardboard sleeve.

I had the same exact problem as you though with my Battle for middle Earth CDs. If it fails to read the disc when you copy it over, the disc is probably hosed. I'd return it.

I don't see how just taking it in and out of the sleeve would do enough damage. I was pretty careful when I took it out.

cgoggles said:

I removed all civ4 files, and retried. I got the same error. Then I removed all civ4 files, civ3 files, and alpha centauri files. Still the same.

I'm having the same issue. I had the Check XML issue and tried to change users as was suggested elsewhere, and no I get this when I try to install. Note: I did have it installed on my main user account (an xp feature). It just wouldn't boot up when I tried to launch the game.

I guess the CDs themselves are messed up....not from the cardboard...but the tech person said that it was "an error waiting to happen, if you will" even if you got to install once...so hold on to your reciepts boys, cuz this problem might keep surfacing...

And call the store first. I went to EB to exchange, and they're out. I'll try tomorrow. I aint buying any 2k games no mo'.

I returned my game got a new one SAME problem; called the tech people and they walked me through installing the game through SAFE mode...this worked (though I still can't play, but maybe you'll be able to).

So restart computer hit F8 while it reloads enter safe mode, and install from there, and I had no problems installing. So anybody with the File transferring errors try Safe Mode.

Evidently there are conflicts between XP and the installer.

I finally got replacement disks this afternoon. Everything worked up until 99.9% of the way through the second disk, when I got another feature transfer error. So I removed all civ 4 stuff, restarted my computer and installed the game under Windows Safe Mode.

Installation successful, and so far so good in the game.

And for added pleasure, I reached into the box to check out the tech chart to plan where I was going in my first game, and you know it's the french version. I picked a winner of a box, you betcha.

yep same problem here.

what a waste of money.

they obviously were looking at how much $ they would make ,NOT how to satisfy there customers,so this one will be sent back,and i will never play this F*cking game.
If they really were smart they would satisfy there cutomers so everyone would buy more from word of mouth,and satisfaction(there for make more $),but they failed utterly there,and obviously dont have ANY for thought.

from what i hear all through the forums is IF you even do manage to get it to load it will be to choppy or crash,or or or or or or or or.......................

with this much complaints after only a brief release tells me,this game will suck even if you get it to work .so send it back and get your $ back .its the only way these poor fools will ever learn.

I read your post with interest. I just bought Civ4 and can't get it to run. Similar problem to the one you mentioned. When I run I see a loading XML progress bar , then nothing. The CIV4 init.log file shows:

[467.421] DBG: FILE Cat Init
[467.562] DBG: NOT Using XML cache, failed to find crc.dat file
[467.578] DBG: Game Init
[467.578] DBG: Multiplayer Init

I get a click/buzz after waiting a long time on the 2K games help line. No response to my e-mail to their help desk with this problem.

Has anyone seen this problem then found a way to get civ4 working.

Thanks,

HBres

Well here I am in England, I have had every Civ so far, but this feature transfer error, is very annoying. My wife and I split up, I lost my job, the wheel fell off my car, but until now Civ has been reliable.
It is the only thing I trust, Queen Elizabeth winning on every game.
Ahh well, I have a bottle of wine.

Oh dear, oh dear. I have a similar problem with the DVD rom. Game wants to install on a clapped out laptop but setup.exe won't do anything except try to upgrade the vga driver from what it was to the same darn driver. So downloaded nvidia's latest drivers and now it just drops back to desktop after a brief discussion concerning the wisdom of installing an older driver over a newer one. :(

Solved the problem by copying the DVD contents to the HDD and running setup.exe from there. Hope this helps any others out there with similar problems ....

I had a similar feature transfer error, something like this:
File: (this field was blank)
Error: access denied.
I started over, reinserting the CD, and
in the initial screens, I unchecked the "install for all users" checkbox.
I also unchecked the firewall/multiplayer checkbox just below it, but I don't think that mattered.
I then proceeded to install and did not get the error as had happened before.
I had done some other miscellaneous things, but don't believe they were relevant. Let me know if this fixes your problem. I have not gone in to try and play the game yet, but will be soon.

Similar problem here too. During installation the 1st disc goes fine, I put in the 2nd disc when promted and it appears to work fine until the very end when I get the error:

Component: Civ4English
File: F:\data3.cab
Error: data error (cyclic redundancy error)

So the install fails.

Also data cab 3 seems to be the only file on the 2nd disc. Same with everyone else?

I have everything updated

Pent 4
2.66GHz
512MB RAM
RADEON 9000

cgoggles said:

I got the exact same problem, word for word.

Breunor

Top Bottom