nVidia GeForce Problems

DennisFord

Chieftain
Hi, I am having problems with getting the game to work. Is anyone else having problems that are using nVidia Cards? All I am seeing is people with ATI problems.

Everything installed correctly, and I did install the Direct X requirement at the beginning of the install.

When I go to start it up, I get the little loading box first, then it goes to a blue screen where I can here the videos in the background. I can click to go through at least the first video, but I never actually get to see any of them.

Then it goes to what I assume is the start up screen where there is supposed to be a menu. All I can see is the Earth with a cloudcover spinning over it and things appearing on the earth (I assume they are settlements growing, or bacteria) and the Title Civilization 4.

It seems there might be some kind of menu there, I just can't see it. I can click on some things it seems, but it always just comes back to this blank screen.

I have a 2.8ghz AMD with a Gforce 5200 256mb Asylum card. I have 512mb 3200 (400 mhz) RAM. I run Windows XP Pro SP2 updated 100%. I also have the very newest video drivers.

Any help is much appreciated!

DennisFord said:
Hi, I am having problems with getting the game to work. Is anyone else having problems that are using nVidia Cards? All I am seeing is people with ATI problems.

Everything installed correctly, and I did install the Direct X requirement at the beginning of the install.

When I go to start it up, I get the little loading box first, then it goes to a blue screen where I can here the videos in the background. I can click to go through at least the first video, but I never actually get to see any of them.

Then it goes to what I assume is the start up screen where there is supposed to be a menu. All I can see is the Earth with a cloudcover spinning over it and things appearing on the earth (I assume they are settlements growing, or bacteria) and the Title Civilization 4.

It seems there might be some kind of menu there, I just can't see it. I can click on some things it seems, but it always just comes back to this blank screen.

I have a 2.8ghz AMD with a Gforce 5200 256mb Asylum card. I have 512mb 3200 (400 mhz) RAM. I run Windows XP Pro SP2 updated 100%. I also have the very newest video drivers.

Any help is much appreciated!

Dennis I have Nvidia Gforce 2 - I kept my old driver (version 4.5.2.3) and moved my desktop to 1024*768 and that works - beware tho, Wonder movies are crashing the game.

oh, ok, I'll give that a shot real quick, thank you for the info! Lets see if anyone can help keep the game from crashing with the wonder movies. Or I wonder if they can be turned off if that would help until a patch fixes it. Thanksa again!

DennisFord said:
oh, ok, I'll give that a shot real quick, thank you for the info! Lets see if anyone can help keep the game from crashing with the wonder movies. Or I wonder if they can be turned off if that would help until a patch fixes it. Thanksa again!

no problem - good luck man

Damn, well that didn't work. Exact same thing. I could only roll back to 5.6.5.6 though. I am really angry with Firaxis, Take Two, and Sid over the very poor testing of this game. They may loose a die hard fan over this.

DennisFord said:
Damn, well that didn't work. Exact same thing. I could only roll back to 5.6.5.6 though. I am really angry with Firaxis, Take Two, and Sid over the very poor testing of this game. They may loose a die hard fan over this.

I'm sorry to hear that - lets hope Firaxis is all over this.

im in the same ball park on this one too. Pent 4, near top of the line system w/ geforece 6800OC. wonder movies are choppy(not crashing though). I do have the latest drivers. the game also slows down when I'm zoomed out. the earth globe view gives me blues lines when im zoomed out to that level(anyone else getting this?).

seems there are some compatability issues with the Geforce cards. Lets hope someone finds a solution to this one soon or firaxis. I didn't pay 1600 on aocmputer to have a game like this lag. This isn't exactly state of the art graphics here....

Here is a picture of the only screen I can get. Is this the main menu screen? What else is supposed to be on this page? Thanks again folks.

We have verified that this EXACT same thing is happening to another gentleman that has the exact same 256mb nVidia GeForce 5200 card. What other problems are you GeForce users having? Any of you not having problems?

I have GeForce 440. Black terrain. Very frustrating. Old computer plays it just fine.

S.

i have a GF 6600 card and the game is installed but when i try to play my computer says that the correct cd needs to be inserted, during the loading screen.
i think your lucky that you at least get the game kind of going.:cry:

btw. i put in the first cd to play the game the second cd does nothing. the second cd just pulls up a window that has a single file in it called data, but that doesn't open anything.

I have Geforce 6600 256mb and I was playing fine but now get black terrain and stuff.

I also experience video chopiness.

I've also had 2 crash to desktops.

PC Specs:
AMD 64 Athlon 3200+ (2.2ghz)
512mb ram
PCI-E Geforce 6600 256mb

I have a Geforce 6200 256 MB. It has been playing fine during game play - I have not seen a wonder movie yet, but the play during the opening scene has been a little choppy. No crashes yet though.

PC Spec:
Pentium D 830 (3.0GHz)
2.0 GB RAM
Geforce 6200 256 MB

good info to know, please let us know if it works. I'd really like to know which cards do work well with civ4 and I'll likely buy one in the morning if I don't have one in the shop.

Why buy a new card? You shouldn't have to waste money because a major bug was missed. Just wait a week or two and see if we get a patch, if not we'll all be asking for refunds I'm sure.

Here's what I have:

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
Microsoft XP Pro
AMD Athlon 1.7 GHz
448 MB Ram
Direct X 9

I was getting the failed to initialize renderer error, but now it goes to something XML then shuts down and doesn't say why?

I don't know hardly anything about computers, any help would be much appreciated.

WONDER MOVIES ARE CRASHING GAME.

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
1 GB RAM
GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB AGP8X
using DetonatorXP driver (files show ver.# 6.14.10.5216 in Display Settings)
Windows 2000 SP4
DVD-ROM and DVD+/-RW installed
Installed DirectX 9.0c from the game disc.
Software installed (major titles):
Pinnacle Studio 8 software with PCTV
Easy CD Creator 6
WinDVD and PowerDVD
Stars Wars Galaxies & Star Wars Jedi Knight II
Unreal Tournament 2004
Civilization III:pTW (Not Conquests)
Guild Wars
Microsoft Office 97 & 2003

Wonder movies are crashing the game.

All intro movies work until the main menu. At main menu I get error pop-up box:
"TXT_KEY_INVALID_PLAYBACK_TITLE" with an "Invalid Device" text shown in the box. Nothing but an OK button.

Once I press OK, I can play the game fine (I get the error again when starting the game).

When a wonder movie comes up, the game locks. If I hit ESC, I go to desktop and the game is gone.

I REALLY hope they get this fixed soon.

THIS MAY OR MAY NOT HELP SOME PEOPLE - I finally solved at least some of my problems.

If you do not have the 10/10/05 version of the nvidia driver, you need to get it now.

I can now see the menus and beginning movies but I have not played yet. I wanted to post this information here first.

Thanks to all for your help, and I hope this helps you. Again, do not just use Windows Update or the auto update feature in the driver section.

look up NVIDIA DRIVERS on google to find the right place, but be ready as the drivers are 20mb.

murf11 said:
Here's what I have:

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
Microsoft XP Pro
AMD Athlon 1.7 GHz
448 MB Ram
Direct X 9

I was getting the failed to initialize renderer error, but now it goes to something XML then shuts down and doesn't say why?

I don't know hardly anything about computers, any help would be much appreciated.

You are the first person I have seen report that got the "Failed to initialize" error with an Nvidia card. You may want to post in the sticked thread so they dont' think it is an exclusively ATI issue.

Top Bottom