reboot followed by garbled graphics

astroglide

Chieftain
shuttle sb81p sff pc
3ghz p4 prescott cpu (tried toggling hyperthreading)
1gb ddr400, 1gb page file
74gb raptor hard drive with plenty of room
geforce 6600gt 128mb pci-e w/dual monitors (tried disabling 1 monitor)

xp sp2, all updates
symantec antivirus 10 corporate edition
latest drivers (e.g. 81.85 forceware)
all other apps closed

installed fine. played fine in tutorial. got to the point where a city was founded and my system rebooted (this never happens). now when i launch civ4 after the startup movies the graphics are garbled on the main screen. the text is still legible, but it's flashing and screwing up all over the place.

i doubt there will be any known solutions for this, but has anybody experienced this particular problem?

Asus A7N8X-E Mobo (bad AGP 8X - can only use low end cards)
GeForce2 MX400 64 MB w/T&L 81.85 driver (just meets CIV4 min specs)
AMDXP2700+
1 GB 3200 DDR RAM
200 GB IDE HDD
On Board Nvidia Sound

Other than opening intro, game plays great on medium graphics settings. Logged in 3 hours last night (tutorial & singe play game), haven't built a wonder yet (I understand some problems have been arising there).

Try turning off you Symantec AntiVirus for both install & gameplay. Unplug from the internet if it makes you feel safe. ALWAYS turn off Antivirus programs when installing new software. Causes many install problems.

Good luck!

astroglide said:
shuttle sb81p sff pc
3ghz p4 prescott cpu (tried toggling hyperthreading)
1gb ddr400, 1gb page file
74gb raptor hard drive with plenty of room
geforce 6600gt 128mb pci-e w/dual monitors (tried disabling 1 monitor)
There's your problem, your computer is probably just too good for this game praised mostly by its own developers.

I had a problem with garbled graphics too, which didn't show up until after I rebooted. I don't have the same video card as you, but it is an nVidia. Not sure if it's the same problem you're seeing, but here's how I resolved it:

I turned the anti-aliasing on my card to application controlled. I previously was forcing it to a setting which Civ seemed to not like. Even then, setting 2x AA in the Civ options menu gave me the garbled graphics, but any other setting worked fine.

Hope that can be of some help.

uninstall/reinstall didn't work (manually flushed firaxis dirs in profile/prog files), it's not the antivirus. need to test some other dx games though to verify it's not my card.

Top Bottom