When do you think we'll see the first patch?

Big Ev

Chieftain
Clearly there have been a good amount of technical issues, think we could see a point release in about 1 or 2 weeks?

I would really like a Win x64 fix, but that's way down the list.

There had better be one asap, like tomorrow.

This is completely ridiculous.

i'll take bets on 2-3 weeks. since it's affecting almost the entire range of ATI cards, there's probably not a single ATI card within a mile of their office. They apparantly designed the entire game assuming it would work, and there could be dozens of complicated things to fix.

OR scenario 2... from the info on my other post it may be as simple as ID'ing the cards correctly. that might be pretty simple to fix. i'll still take bets though.

Any news on a potential release date for a patch?

Any news on a potential release date for a patch?

Since their QA department obviously hasn't got any memory leak checking software, give them 3 weeks to order that and get it delivered.

Add another 4 weeks of training (they appear to be pretty slow) on the software, 2 weeks to actually find anything, 3 weeks to schedule a meeting with the developers... then 4 weeks for the developers to determine how to fix the problems, 3 weeks to actually make the fixes.

Then send it back to QA where QA will take 3 weeks checking the fixes...

Gives us a patch delivery date of 5 months from now.

Happy travels.

qu1etus said:
There had better be one asap, like tomorrow.

This is completely ridiculous.
Amen dude

I never saw that much trouble with a game in so little time

This has got to be one of the worst releases in gaming history.

Hopefully they'll release one bigass patch in the next week or so because this is downright ridiculous.

Agreed. I've been gaming for like 10 years, and I have NEVER encountered such difficulties and HARD crashing.
Runs great when it runs, but crashes without rhyme or reason. Grrrrrrrr!

Dude, this is nothing compared to Black Isle's Fallout 2. That game was unplayable on most systems for a month, and had major game-killing fumbles all over the place. Talk about rushed to production. In the end, six months later, was a great game. But after the original Fallout was release with near perfection, Fallout 2 was a colossal dissappointment.

I don't know about you guys, but I never did get resolutions to some of my Civ III problems and it took me a while to fix the initial ones too.

But really... this is probably something they are already aware of but didn't have time to fix before shipping. They've probably been working with vendors since a month ago on various problems. Its a matter of triage- what problems can we address immediately before release, what problems can wait, what problems aren't worth spending time on. Remember, lots of people CAN play the game, and that's the only thing they were aiming for with the initial release.

Frustrating? Yes. Unethical? Probably not. Ensuring their software is top quality on initial release? Nope.

fjorner said:
Its a matter of triage- what problems can we address immediately before release, what problems can wait, what problems aren't worth spending time on. Remember, lots of people CAN play the game, and that's the only thing they were aiming for with the initial release.
So shafting everyone with an ATi card is an bug that can wait? I certainly hope they don't think so.

I would have rather had it delayed because of that (even if I had an Nvidia card) than have it shipped only supporting roughly half of the GPU chipsets on the market.

I would figure a patch (most likely the second patch) right before Christmas. That way anyone who gets the game from Santa has something so they don't get frustrated.

fjorner said:
Its a matter of triage- what problems can we address immediately before release, what problems can wait, what problems aren't worth spending time on. Remember, lots of people CAN play the game, and that's the only thing they were aiming for with the initial release.

Frustrating? Yes. Unethical? Probably not. Ensuring their software is top quality on initial release? Nope.
This has nothing to do with triage. They moved the release date forward, and knowingly released a product before it was finished. This first patch isn't an "emergency patch" as the techies keep saying. Its the real version of the game that didn't come in the 50$ box we all purchased.

It is very unethical. They sold an unfinished product, and they're making us wait on them to release the real game to us. I don't think Firaxis understands that they aren't a huge game company. Vivendi, EA, Sony, and Microsoft have the resorces to screw people around like this. Take Two games can't possibly afford to lose their specific fanbase. Only a select group of people play these games in the first place. It doesn't do well for business to shaft them. They should have beta tested this game. CivFanatic, Apolyton, GameFAQs, and many many other boards are littered with software bugs and poor coding issues.

And the people responsible for this hang up on their customers and leave emails unanswered. They should count their blessings. Only by the fact that this game is so unique, do we not just take it back to the stores and tell them to screw off. But, for me, that won't last too much longer. If they don't patch by next Monday, I'm taking my copy back.

hmm, good question. i enjoy some of the responses that assume the game maker (like any company) acts in good faith and truly wants to deliver a product for the consumer. c'mon, if they release a patch before xmas it won't be b/c they want all those civ iv gifts to be enjoyable...had they wanted US to enjoy the game, they would've held off on the release!!!

which brings me to the point about them knowing it was broken already. probably true. i know that occurs in other software releases be it games or enterprise managment software, issues occur. often you 'go live' knowing there will need to be fixes. but whether or not they had already begun fixes? who knows.

i'm guessing early december for a small-ish patch that fixes problems for SOME people. hopefully, the memory gobbling one.

This reminds me of when the Shadows of Luclin expansion came out for Everquest. They advertised the addition of a Bazaar, a new UI, as well as updating and revamping all of the old world zones to mesh with the new world zones.

The UI and the Bazaar took as long as six months to go live after we all purchased the game. They still hadn't revamped or remodeled the old world zones years after the expansion came out; and as far as I know, they still haven't remodeled them. The only thing they did was change some textures.

I hope Firaxis doesn't pull a Verant here. It doesn't matter. I'm just waiting for Spore anyway.

Well I am hoping for a point release or hot fix very soon to deal with some crash issues. I've had the game for 5 days now and haven't been able to play a single game through. Also, the news has been little to none, only acknowledging the ATI problems and not giving a timeline for a possible fix.

Don't hold your breath for any patch. You wanna know when the patch will come out, wait for the expansion pack. Thats the new gaming industry standards. Sell em crap, sell em expansion pack to fix said crap and get them twice for one game.

Top Bottom