Hurrying & Queing units

tmservo

Chieftain
Ok, I will admit, I like it, played numerous hours last night. But there are some fuctions that I don't care for.

Queing units for a city is something that, after hours, I still haven't got the hang of. I've always been a fan of deciding about 3 moves ahead "city will develop A,B,C" and with CivIV this seems much more difficult then in previous versions. Anytime I try to "add" to the que list, it just bumps the current item off and places the new one instead of giving it a list.. whereas, in some places, it builds the que *shrug*

Second, I miss the "Hurry" feature, especially with military units. If this is possible, fine, if it's gone, it'll be missed. The ability to quickly conscript via monetary resources was one of the entire reasoning behind having a booming economy, it allowed you to quick conscript in case of an emergency invasion.. :)

Otherwise, liking it so far :) I may have to look at the XML editor/game editor functions soon, and start building other civiliation types to add + units + redo the civopedia. I know I could do a Cold Fusion to have a downloadable Civopedia in XML that would be Wikki. I might take a look at that.

tmservo said:
Ok, I will admit, I like it, played numerous hours last night. But there are some fuctions that I don't care for.

Queing units for a city is something that, after hours, I still haven't got the hang of. I've always been a fan of deciding about 3 moves ahead "city will develop A,B,C" and with CivIV this seems much more difficult then in previous versions. Anytime I try to "add" to the que list, it just bumps the current item off and places the new one instead of giving it a list.. whereas, in some places, it builds the que *shrug*

Second, I miss the "Hurry" feature, especially with military units. If this is possible, fine, if it's gone, it'll be missed. The ability to quickly conscript via monetary resources was one of the entire reasoning behind having a booming economy, it allowed you to quick conscript in case of an emergency invasion.. :)

Otherwise, liking it so far :) I may have to look at the XML editor/game editor functions soon, and start building other civiliation types to add + units + redo the civopedia. I know I could do a Cold Fusion to have a downloadable Civopedia in XML that would be Wikki. I might take a look at that.

Rushing with money requires the Universal Suffrage Civic
Rushing with population requires the Slavery Civic

As for the queue, I'm not sure, (don't have game yet)

Shift-Click adds things to the end of the queue, Ctrl-click adds to the beginning.

...and you can have both Universal Suffrage and Slavery at once so that you can choose how to rush. There is also Drafting with Nationhood.

wow, must remember this, even though i'll forget it after 2 minutes... what was the keys to click again?

warpstorm said:
Shift-Click adds things to the end of the queue, Ctrl-click adds to the beginning.

and Alt-Click repeat builds! Yeah!

But has anyone else found problems with build queue lists that contain only buildings?

I build my queue, ctl-# (1-9), but when I press a number my queue switches to "worker" - which is strange since I'm playing as India... and can't build the worker (the fast worker is India's UU). Can anyone confirm this at their end? Thanks.

nomikos said:
warpstorm said:

But has anyone else found problems with build queue lists that contain only buildings?

I build my queue, ctl-# (1-9), but when I press a number my queue switches to "worker" - which is strange since I'm playing as India... and can't build the worker (the fast worker is India's UU). Can anyone confirm this at their end? Thanks.
Heh, I answered this for you in another thread... In case you see this one first:

Building the build queue in the city screen is ALT+#, not CTRL-# ... That should help :goodjob:

Mujadaddy,

I agree that this thread is the much better one to use (much more topical - topic wise. No sense in having the same conversation in both). Sorry.

Anyway, I answered you:

Alt-# seems to load a build list, just as pressing the # (alone) does.

So I can create a queue list of things to build; save it with ctl-#; then go to any other city and press # and get the list.

My issue is that the list strips out all of the buildings (leaving only the units).

Also, if I create a list with only buildings and save it, with I load it my queue list changes to only show a "worker" - which isn't even available to me (as India I get the "Fast Worker" instead). Strange.

Is this not what you're seeing when you try? Can anyone confirm that loading a queue list with buildings in it works for them?

Thanks!

I've tried team play with a human opponent, but I was never able open a trading/diplomacy screen with my human team mate (I think it works if the AI is on your team). This means I was never able to trade resources, money, cites, etc. I have checked our city screens, and resources that my team mate have do not appear in my cities, or vice versa. Is this a flaw, or am I doing something wrong? It seems like if I should have the exact same trading options with my team mate that I have with AI opponents.

Seems to be a bug. When I first used the Ctrl# worked for both buildings and units. After using it for sometime, now it gives me a totally different configuration. The ALT# doesn't work for me in the city menu but it works with stacking units on the main menu.
The Cyclopedia only says to use CTRL# to replicate building queing but I can't use it as it was intended anymore.

IMHO it should be like this:

Queue:
Left click - selects items
Right click - removes items

Units/buildings:
Left click - insert above selection
Alt click - build indefinitly
Ctrl click - replace selection
Shift click - add to end of queue

The inability to insert or change items in the queue is really annoying, and forces you to micromange the build queue through deleting and adding. Why they don't have some basic selection and insertion functionality is beyond me.

Thalassicus said:
Why they don't have some basic selection and insertion functionality is beyond me.

They do - a very basic one. With CTRL-click you insert an item at the beginning of the list.

That is no very intuitive solution, however. You should be able to mark an item on the queue and by using click, shift-click or ctrl-click add an item instead, after or before THAT MARKED ITEM. Since a single click on a queue item removes that item from the queue, this is currently not possible.

paulyn8r said:
I've tried team play with a human opponent, but I was never able open a trading/diplomacy screen with my human team mate .

If you are on the same team, I believe you share techs and resources. If you are just playing the same game, but not on the same team, you have to have located the other person, then double click on their name in the score list on the right, the player should get a message "so and so" is trying to contact you and then double click on name of person trying to contact you.

Top Bottom