Math08: As promised (OCC, Space)

Mathias

OCC Rocks!
Obviously I have no idea if this will work, but we're gonna try it anyway.

I probably won't get this started until Sunday at the earliest. I need some time to explore the game and develop some kind of strategy.

Difficulty: Noble
Map size: Small
Civ: Uh...

Ive wanted to try a civ4 succession game, I have only done one or two OOCs in Civ 3, but if your ok with it, Id like to join :)

Traits that might be good
Expansive- bigger city
Philosophical more GP from this City
Industrial (you'll need wonders)
Financial (Cash boost may be needed)

Maybe Trait
Spiritual (Quick Govs are nice)

Non Traits
Aggressive,
Cultural (You already have a Palace to begin with),
Organized (maintenance is low already)

Desirable Techs...Mysticism..Early Religion

Possibly Spain (Fishing+Mysticism, Expansive+Spiritual)...more Pop
or Arabia (Wheel+Mysticsim, Philosophical+Spiritual)... more GPP

Well, figured I'd give OCC [noble] a shot. Made it up to the Medieval period before Japan declared on me. I didn't have any good units so was destroyed rather quickly. I had something like 3 or 4 thousand culture and never had to let up off of research [max all the way]. Was three holy cities [Hinduism, Judaeism, and Christianity].

Definitely need to keep up in military strength.

One thing I was a little worried about was culture flipping. I'm guessing since I checked the OCC option that cities will not flip to you. Another thing I did have some trouble getting my production up.

Any news or ideas Mathias? I know you thought about starting on Sunday but figured we should discuss anything that we have learned until then.

I feel that the strongest trait for this may be Financial. More commerce equals more science, and that is definitely a top priority.

Expansive: Indeed nice for the health bonus, and an early granary for faster growth is another plus.

Industrious: Which wonders do we want/need and how much will they affect our game?

Philosophical: As with the Industrious trait, I'm unsure how important the benefits will be.

Spiritual: Not a bad trait to have, but I think each of the above would have a greater impact.

Aggressive, Creative, and Organized: Not what we're looking for.

Our choice of leaders, then, looks like this:
China (Agriculture and Mining)
-Qin Shi Huang (Financial and Industrious)
England (Fishing and Mining)
-Elizabeth (Financial and Philosophical)
-Victoria (Expansive and Financial)
Germany (Hunting and Mining)
-Bismark (Expansive and Industrious)
Russia (Hunting and Mining)
-Peter (Expansive and Philosophical)

My choice would be either Victoria or Qin Shi Huang

The one nice thing about Philosophical is that it doubles our great person points, and that is a good thing.

I'm just now trying out Expansive so don't know yet how good it is. According to its description it looks like a good choice.

Don't know enough about the wonders to make a decision here. I guess we need to look and see if the trait is worth it. Can't remember, but does this trait grant the fast worker?

Edit: I think I'll give Victoria a try. Those traits look like an interesting combination.

Fast worker is Indian UU.

IMO I think Industrious/Financial would be our best bets.

I’m come to really like financial and agree that it’s a must for this game.

Industrious would be handy for the 50% off wonders. Many of the wonders have great benefits, especially with great people production.

Spiritual is useless for us, as anarchy only lasts one turn and we probably won’t be switching that much anyway. Cheap temples are nice but not for only one city.

Philosophical could be nice as it’d help us on great people. I’m still unsure on the best ways to use great people.

I haven’t had much luck with the Expansion trait so still don’t see it as being that effective.

I believe my vote would be for Qin Shi Huang of China (Ind/Fin).

Oh yeah, whoever we end up going with I would suggest our first couple of tech choices be Mysticism and Polytheism [believe those are the techs] so we can get Hinduism. Seems like the AI always goes for Buddhism, so it’s typically a shoe-in. Religion is too strong a factor in this game to not grab one of the early ones. Plus it seriously helps on happiness.

I have come to similar conclusion, so Qin Shi Huang it is.

I agree on the need for an early religion as well. I'll add that we should play on Pangaea. In one of my games I had only on rival on the continent, and religious differences made diplomacy practically impossible.

Also, I'd like to confirm sign-ups before we get started.

The first Civ4 game i played, i went for space. There are lots of parts to build (4 casings instead of one, 3 thrusters instead of one). The launch movie is gone, instead i got a brief movie of a traveller being ejected from his stasis pod and looking out of the window onto a new world.

Good luck!

We should try to get as many religions as we can, so that we get money for all the cities

Giga watt said:
We should try to get as many religions as we can, so that we get money for all the cities

I typically go for all the religions just so no one else gets them, but only spread one. With a little work it isn't too hard to get everyone to convert to your religion. Little work=lots of missionairies.;)

Haven't yet made it all the way to space yet. Keep starting new games. How many pieces are we looking at? Off to check.

Looks like we have...

Mathias
Methos
Giga Watt

Looks like we're a couple players short, unless you want to kick this off anyway. I believe there are still a bunch of people who either don't have the game or are having trouble getting it to run correctly.

I haven't had much time to experiment since the weekend, so I don't mind waiting a little longer to get this started. As for founding multiple religions, as I understand it, income from shrines is not dependent upon state religion. Multiple shrines will generate more income because a city with multiple religions will be counted for each shrine. Of course, with only one city, we won't be able to constantly build missionaries.

I'll do it.
I got Civ 4 working this morning and have since played my first game on Prince and won.
I'd recommend us dialing back the difficulty setting to Warlord, however.
I agree with the selection of Qin Shi Huang.
What world settings shall we use? Archipelago seems advantageous to our playstyle.

I'd be willing to do it with four. Turns go by quickly in OCC.
Just as a note, I ran a preliminary OCC with the same parameters as what we will be doing, and here are my thoughts:
We cannot stay friends with everyone. Or rather, we can try, but it will screw us to no end. We will have to *****slap somebody at some point during the game, if only perhaps to cripple them and get tech for peace. How we go about doing that is another issue.
On a related note, beware runaway AIs. They happen, even on Prince. Even on Warlord.
Our tech priorities in the early game are to collar one or two religions, get worker techs, and start trading with AI as soon as humanly possible. Beeline to Alphabet. Then we can go back and pick up the Ancient techs we missed.
CULTURE CULTURE CULTURE!
GREAT LEADERS! PACIFISM WILL BE OUR FRIEND!
Pray for a good die roll with resources. I had great Ancient Age resources (Iron, Stone, a deer, and sheep), but I had literally NOTHING ELSE. It SUCKED.
Also, I think there might be an issue with National Wonders. The game was allowing me to build more than two in my city. Wasn't sure if the effects stacked or not. Anyone know anything about this?

Lets try this:

4000 (0)
Build Beijing between two rivers. We have corn, stone, and silk.

3960 (1)
Hut = Experience

3920 (2)
Promote Woodsman I & II

3880 (3)
Meet Catherine

3800 (5)
Mysticism >> Polytheism

3640 (9)
Meet Montezuma

3560 (11)
Warrior defends against a panther. Down to 1.5 strength.

3520 (12)
Warrior >> Warrior
Hut = 80 gold

3440 (14)
Polytheism (we have founded Hinduism) >> Masonry
Revolt to convert to Hinduism

3320 (17)
Attack and kill another panther. Warrior remains at 1.7 strength, having healed only one turn since first encounter.

3280 (18)
Warrior >> Worker

3200 (20)
Meet Julius Caesar

I have queued research. Masonry and The Wheel are obvious. Monotheism for Judaism and Organized Religion. Then shortest route to Code of Laws for Confucianism and Caste System.

Stonehenge should be obvious choice after worker is complete. Probably best to farm the corn before quarrying the stone, but I think either order is fine.

Catherine is to the northwest, Montezuma to the southwest, and Julius Caesar to the east.

First round of turnsets 15 turns each. Second and subsequent turnsets 10 turns each. We'll run with 4, open for 5th until end of 2nd turnset.

Attachments

• math08_BC3200.jpg
    math08_BC3200.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 268
Top Bottom