Windowed Mode HOWTO

Rayanth

Prince
This is for the users out there that wish to Run Civ4 in Windowed mode. Of the users that I have had contact with that have run Civ4 in windowed mode, there was no noticable performance hit.

One note: in windowed mode you cannot 'bump' the screen edge to scroll the map. Use your keyboard's arrow keys instead.

How to set up windowed mode:

1) Browse to C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 -- or your Civ4 root directory.
2) Double-click "_Civ4Config" -- this will load CivilizationIV.ini, which is actually stored somewhere in your MyDocuments... _Civ4Config is a shortcut to it.
3) Find the line that reads "FullScreen = 1"
4) Change the 1 to either 0, or ask (ask will make a pop-up when loading the game that lets you choose each time)
5) Save and Exit
6) Reload Civ4.

Note: Two additional changes might be necessary to ensure the full window is visible. Either change the resolution in-game, or manually change it by the following:

(This example sets the game's window size to 1024x768, useful for players with desktop res at 1280x960)

7) load the same Config file as before
8) Find and change ScreenHeight from 0 to 768
9) Find and change ScreenWidth from 0 to 1024
10) Save and Exit.
11) Reload Civ4.

Enjoy Windowed mode =)

thank you so much! i'm addicted to windowed mode now in all the games i play, and civ4 was driving me nuts when people sent IMs. you are my hero!!

One more tweak.

To use mouse scrolling to move around the map in Windowed mode change this ini file entry to from 0 (default) to 1. (ie 0=no scrolling 1 =scrolling)

; Allow Mouse Scrolling in Windowed mode
MouseScrolling = 1

I tried this, and now the in-game music stutters when only the wonder movie music stuttered before.

this works great for me with a normal game.

but i made a mod to change a civ, which took me several tries but now it works. however, when the game does the restart it goes into fullscreen and i can't figure out how to change that. the mod .ini file doesn't have a fullscreen line, but i tried adding one, that didn't help. any ideas?

I'm definitely noticing a slight performance hit playing in windowed mode, but it's not bad. I'll probably keep it on ask, and play windowed when I need to alt-tab a lot, and otherwise play full. Thanks for the info!

Tarkhan said:
It's also handy to tweak the quick start stuff :) And stop my default name from reverting to JEFFSPC.

look in the config file for

nickname =

or

Alias =

change one (or both, i dunno which one of the two is it) and you should start the another name than your computername

Thanks, I love playing in windowed mode, since I like to alt-tab a lot.

If you want to have your cake and eat it too try out this program:

http://grismar.net/shiftwindow/

As long as civ is at the same resolution as your desktop it will resize the window so that it looks fullscreen, but still acts like a window when you want to minimize it.

I think that it gets added after you run civ 4 in a window for the first time, but i am not sure.

Its in the upper third of my config file in this context:

; Move along
CheatCode = 0

[CONFIG]

; Allow Mouse Scrolling in Windowed mode
MouseScrolling = 1

; Screenshot format (TGA,JPG,BMP)
ScreenShot Format = JPG

; Enable Trilinear Filtering for the Minimap
MinimapTrilinearFilter = 1

; Enable Tree Region Cutting
CutTrees = 1

Hello everybody!
Can someone help me?
I Have a compaq presario 2520EU notebook with an ATI IGP Radeon 350 M video card, which I do not if it is OK for CIV4. Actually the game can be launched but it is impossible to see the terrains, i.e. I see the Units moving but I see only black tiles. I have tried with the new patch but it did not work.

Top Bottom