Audio init or XML parsing error upon game start (especially GERMAN users)? Read this!

Blkbird

King
After the game fails to start on my computer, I set HidePythonExceptions to 0 and got some strange XML parsing errors such as "0.7" not being able to parsed as "float number". I realized that may have had something to do with my system using the German locale with "," as decimal point and "." as the thousand seperator. After I swtiched them, the game started fine!

Note that if you turned on logging and got certain "audio initialization" problems, it is most likely a side effect of this problem! I too got audio init errors in my logs at first, but they disappeared after I fixed the above issue. Nothing is acutally wrong with my audio, they're working perfectly now.

So, the button line is, make sure your system use "." (period) as decimal point and "," (comma) as thousand seperator - at least as long as you're playing the US version of the game! The most direct way to see (and eventually change) this is using the Registry Editor. In there, go to "My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International" and check the string values "sDecimal" and "sThousand".

Top Bottom