A Guide to Terrain and Improvements

Stuporstar

Warlord
A Comprehensive Guide to The Cumulative Values of Terrain, Improvements and Resources.

My new, more complete and updated, guide for terrain can be found HERE!

Contents:
1. Terrain Values
2. Worker Improvements
3. Resources and Improvements
4. City Placement

Here is a complete breakdown of the types of terrain and their food, production and commerce values. There's a lot more to it than what was in the manual. Having a more in-depth understanding of these terrain values can really help your strategy when deciding where to build your cities. I've also made a list of worker improvements and their value modifications for each type of terrain. I've included the bonus value of resources as well, even though it's already in the manual, for completeness sake. There are five factors involved when using terrain effectively: terrain values, terrain feature values, improvement values, bonus resource values, and civics and tech bonuses, all of which accumulate.

1. Terrain

Base Tile Values:
F = Food : P = Production : C = Commerce

Peak = 0 impassible
Ice = 0 impassible
Desert = 0
Snow = 0
Tundra = 1F
Ocean = 1F 1C
Coast = 1F 2C
Inland Coast = 2F 2C fresh water source
Grassland = 2F
Plains = 1F 1P

The following types of terrain, or terrain features, modify the base terrain values:
Jungle = -1F (-0.25 health)
Hills = -1F 1P
Forest = 1P (+0.5 health)
Floodplains = 3F (-0.4 heath)
Oasis = 3F 2C fresh water source (+2 health to adjacent city)
River = 1C fresh water source (+2 health to adjacent city)
Rivers give no commerce bonus to Snow, Jungle or Forest tiles.

*Note that when it comes to fresh water adjacent to your cities, you only get a total +2 health bonus to your city. It is not cumulative as it is with forest tiles.

Cumulative Tile Values:
The base terrain types have a cumulative value when terrain features are added to them.

Grassland/Jungle = 1F
Snow/Forest = 1P
Tundra/Forest = 1F 1P
Plains/Forest = 1F 2P
Grassland/Forest = 2F 1P

Desert/Hill = 1P
Snow/Hill = 1P
Tundra/Hill = 1P
Plains/Hill = 2P
Grassland/Hill = 1F 1P

Grassland/Hill/Jungle = 1P
Snow/Hill/Forest = 2P
Tundra/Hill/Forest = 2P
Grassland/Hill/Forest = 1F 2P
Plains/Hill/Forest = 3P

A hill with a forest has just as much production as a hill with a mine, but with added health benefit, which leads me to...

2. Worker Improvements:

Terrain Specific Improvements

Desert: Nothing
Grassland, Plains, Floodplains: Farm (only by river until civil-service/biology), Cottage, Workshop, Watermill (by river)
Hills: Mine, Windmill (all), Cottage (except desert, tundra, snow)
Forest: Lumbermill, whatever you can build on the base tile (and remove forest)
Tundra (with river): Farm, Workshop, Cottage, Watermill
Snow (with river): Watermill

You cannot build improvements except roads/railroads on: Desert, and Snow or Tundra (without river, hills or forest)

A detailed breakdown of how improvements modify terrain values:

Farms: flatlands - can build on resources
Tech: Agriculture, Civil Service (can spread irrigation), Biology (can build farms without irrigation) +1F
Farm = 1F
Best income: 2F (Civil Service)
Best possible food: 5F 1C (Floodplains)
Best possible food with resource: 7F 2C (Wheat +2F 1C + Floodplains)

Agriculture:
Farms can only be built by rivers.
+ Tundra = 2F 1C
+ Plains = 2F 1P 1C
+ Grassland = 3F 1C
+ Floodplains = 4F 1C

Civil Service:
Farms can be irrigated and "chained" away from river tiles.
Farm (irrigated) on river = 2F
+ Tundra = 3F 1C
+ Plains = 3F 1P 1C
+ Grassland = 4F 1C
+ Floodplains = 5F 1C
Farm (irrigated) not on river = 2F
+ Plains = 3F 1P
+ Grassland = 4F

Biology:
Farms can be built anywhere without irrigation, but do not get the +1F irrigation bonus.
Farm (not irrigated) not on river = 1F
+ Plains = 2F 1P
+ Grassland = 3F
It's better to just chain your irrigated farms, however it may be useful if you are on a particular landmass that just has no way of reaching fresh water and desperately need to increase your food production.

Cottages: any workable tiles except Snow or Tundra (Tundra with river being the only exception)
Tech: Pottery, Printing Press +1C for Villages and Towns
Cottage = 1C
Hamlet = 2C (10 turns)
Village = 3C (20 turns)
Town = 4C (40 turns)
Printing Press:
Village = 4C
Town = 5C

Civic: Universal Suffrage (Democracy) +1P for town, Free Speech (Liberalism) +2C for town, Emancipation (Democracy) +100% growth for cottage, hamlet, and village
Best income: 1P 7C (Printing Press, Universal Suffrage, Free Speech)

Mines: any Hill tile - can build on resources
Tech: Mining, Railroads +1P if a railroad is added
Mine = 2P
+ Snow, Desert, Tundra, Grassland = 3P
+ Plains = 4P
Best income: 4P (with rairoad)
Best possible production: 5P 1C (Plains + railroad + river)
Best possible production with resource: 7P 2C (Aluminum +2P 1C + Plains + railroad + river)

Workshop: flatlands
Tech: Metal Casting, Guilds +1P, Chemistry +1P
Workshop = -1F 1P

Metal Casting:
+ Tundra (must have river) = 1P (1C)
+ Grassland = 1F 1P
+ Plains = 2P

Chemistry and Guilds:
Workshop = -1F 3P
+ Tundra (must have river) = 3P (1C)
+ Grassland = 1F 3P
+ Plains = 4P

Civic: State Property (Communism) +1F
Best income: 3P (Guilds, Chemistry, State Property)
Best possible production: 1F 4P 1C (Plains + river + State Property)

Windmills: any Hill tile
Tech: Machinery, Replaceable Parts +1P, Electricity +1C
Windmill = 1F 1C

Machinery:
+ Snow, Desert, Tundra = 1F 1P 1C
+ Plains = 1F 2P 1C
+ Grassland = 2F 1P 1C

Replaceable Parts and Electricity:
Windmill = 1F 1P 2C
+ Snow, Desert, Tundra = 1F 2P 2C
+ Plains = 1F 3P 2C
+ Grassland = 2F 2P 2C

Best income: 1F 1P 2C (Replaceable Parts, Electricity)
Best possible production: 1F 3P 3C (Plains + river + Replaceable Parts, Electricity)
Best possible food: 2F 2P 3C (Grassland + river + Replaceable Parts, Electricity)

Watermill: flatlands near river
Tech: Machinery, Replaceable Parts +1P, Electricity + 2C
Watermill = 1P + 1C from river

Tech: Machinery
+ Snow = 1P 1C
+ Tundra = 1F 1P 1C
+ Grassland = 2F 1P 1C
+ Plains = 1F 2P 1C
+ Floodplains = 3F 1P 1C

Watermill = 2P 2C + 1C from river
+ Snow = 2P 3C
+ Tundra = 1F 2P 3C
+ Grassland = 2F 2P 3C
+ Plains = 1F 3P 3C
+ Floodplains = 3F 2P 3C

Civic: State Property (Communism) +1F
Best income: 1F 2P 2C (Replaceable Parts, Electricity, State Property)
Best possible food: 4F 2P 3C (floodplains + State Property)

Lumbermill: any forest tile
Tech: Replaceable Parts, Railroads +1P if built
Lumbermill = 1P
+ Snow = 2P
+ Tundra = 1F 2P
+ Grassland = 2F 2P
+ Plains = 3P
+ Snow/Hill = 3P
+ Tundra/Hill = 3P
+ Grassland/Hill = 1F 3P
+ Plains/Hill = 4P
Best income: 3P 1C (1C from being near river, 1P from railroad, 1P from forest)
Best possible production: 5P 1C (Plains/Hill + river and railroad)

To chop or not to chop...
(The ability to clear a forest comes with the bronze working tech.)

As you can see, keeping the forest will give you better production in the long run than if you chop it down to replace it with farms or cottages. On a forest/hill tile you only stand to gain 1P from replacing it with a mine, which you would eventually get back when you can build lumbermills. However that extra early production + the 30 or so hammers you get from the chop is something to consider in exchange for that later equal production and added health benefit.

As for deciding on the 30 hammer chop (30 hammers being average - not sure what modifies the amount) or waiting for lumbermills, note that forests will grow only on unimproved tiles as long as there is a forest square nearby. Whether they grow over roads (they seem not to - I seem to remember someone mentioning that they use roads to curb jungle growth) or the chance of regrowth being calculated by the number of adjacent forest/jungle tiles is still up for debate. There is currently no way to plant forests later in the game as there was in CivIII.

The last thing to consider is the defense bonus and whether or not it is of strategic value to chop a forest or jungle. The defense bonus for both is 50%, and if that's on a hill (25%) you get a cumulative 75%!

An excellent guide for chopping can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=138682

Summary: a breakdown of which terrain improvements maximize income/production/food best would be:

Best Food
Farm +2F (5F 1C best terrain) (+2F 1C with resource)

Best Commerce
Cottage +1P 7C

Best Production
Workshop +3P (1F 4P 1C best terrain)
Mine +3P (5P 1C best terrain) (+2P 1C with resource)
Lumbermill +3P (5P 1C best terrain) + health bonus from forest

Best General
Windmill +1F 1P 2C (2F 2P 3C best terrain) (1F 3P 3C best terrain)
Watermill +1F 2P 2C (4F 2P 3C best terrain)

3. Resource Improvements and Tile Bonuses:

These improvements can be built wherever the resource is found. The improvements are non-terrain specific, though on a random map the resources tend to generate only on certain types of terrain. All these terrain values and bonuses are cumulative. This means that the 2P bonus with the improved resource iron, copper, coal or aluminum + 2P for the mine + 1-2P on a hill can equal up to a maximum of 7P on a single tile.

You will notice these values are different from the manual. The manual seems to calculate what is added to the base bonus (so corn = base 1F and improving it adds and additional 2F rather than just stating that improved corn = +3F on top of the base terrain). I've recalcuated the values so that the base bonus is calculated into the improved value and reflect what you will actually get added to the base terrain. In the case of mines and farms I have NOT included the added value from the mine or farm because they can be modified by tech/civics.

Farm
Tech: Agriculture
Resources:
Corn = Base 1F : Improved 3F +1 Health (base bonus 1F + improved 2F)
Wheat = Base 1F : Improved 3F +1 Health
Rice = Base 1F : Improved 2F +1 Health
*not included is the value added by the farm, so what you will actually see is that improving corn, wheat or rice adds an additional 1-2F on top of the improved value given.

Pasture
Tech: Animal Husbandry
Resources:
Horse = Base 1P : Improved 3P 1C
Cow = Base 1F : Improved 2F 2P +1 Health
Pig = Base 1F : Improved 4F +1 Health
Sheep = Base 1F : Improved 3F 1C +1 Health

Camp
Tech: Hunting
Resources:
Deer = Base 1F : Improved 3F +1 Health
Fur (obsolete with Plastics) = Base 1C : Improved 4C +1 Happiness
Ivory (obsolete with Industrialism) = Base 1P : Improved 2P 1C +1 Happiness
*note, when these go obsolete you still get the tile bonuses from them.

Fishing Boats
Tech: Fishing
Resources:
Fish = Base 1F : Improved 4F +1 Health
Clam = Base 1F : Improved 3F +1 Health
Crab = Base 1F : Improved 3F +1 Health

Quarry
Tech: Masonry
Resources:
Stone = Base 1P : Improved 3P
Marble = Base 1P : Improved 2P 2C

Mine
Tech: Mining
Resources:
Silver = Base 1C : Improved -1P +5C +1 Happiness
Gems = Base 1C : Improved -1P +6C +1 Happiness
Gold = Base 1C : Improved -1P +7C +1 Happiness
Copper (Bronze Working) = Base 1P : Improved 2P
Iron (Iron Working) = Base 1P : Improved 2P
Coal (Steam Power) = Base 1P : Improved 2P
Aluminum (Industrialism) = Base 1P : Improved 2P 1C
Uranium (Physics) + Base 0 : Improved 3C
*these values do NOT include the added 2P from the mine, so what you get from improved copper, iron, coal or aluminum is actually +4P. Silver, gems and gold are an unusual case since they actually reduce the production from a mine by 1, however they do NOT reduce the production of the base tile, so adding a mine will only give you +1P.

Well/Offshore Platform
Tech: Combustion/Plastics
Resources:
Oil (Scientific Method) = Base 1P : Improved 3P 1C

Winery
Tech: Monarchy
Resources:
Wine = Base 1C : Improved 1F 3C +1 Happiness

Whaling Boats
Tech: Optics
Resources:
Whales (obsolete with Combustion) = Base 1F : Improved 1P 2C +1 Happiness
*note, when whales become obsolete you still get the tile bonuses from them.

Plantation
Tech: Calendar
Resources:
Banana = Base 1F : Improved 3F +2 Health
Dye = Base 1C : Improved 5C +1 Happiness
Incense = Base 1C : Improved 6C +1 Happiness
Silk = Base 1C : Improved 4C +1 Happiness
Spices = Base 1C : Improved 1F 3C +1 Happiness
Sugar = Base 1F : Improved 2F 1C +1 Happiness

4. Some notes about City Placement and Resources:

A city square always gets 2F 1P 1C. There seems to be ONE exception. You get an additional 1P when you build a city on top of a plains/hill. This seems to be the only time you get any bonuses for city placement. You get no bonus for any other kind of hill, and no bonus for a flatland/plains square. It must be a plains/hill. The other major advantage to building on a hill is of course the defense bonus. Hills get a defense bonus of 25%

When you build a city on top of a resource, you can, under specific circumstances, get a small bonus for that resource. That bonus is not equal to the value you would get by improving the tile, but it can be worth it strategically or used to get an early boost in production. You will be able to use that resource once you research the appropriate tech. If you build a city on top of stone, you will not be able to use it until you discover masonry, but once you do, it will be immediately available to that city.

Here is a breakdown of the types of terrain and bonuses you get for settling on top of a specific resource. Much thanks to Brokguitar for finding this out:

Food Resources: When Bananas, Rice, Sugar, Sheep, Corn, Cows, and Pigs are on Grassland Tiles Only (no hills) you are able to produce One Extra Bread Slice more than normal when you settle on top of them.

Production Resources: When Coal, Copper, Iron, Marble, Oil, Stone, Aluminum, Horses, and Ivory are on Plains Tiles Only (no hills) you are able to produce One Extra Hammer more than normal when you settle on top of them.

Now if these same resources are on a PLAINS/HILL tile you can produce Two Extra Hammers more than normal.

Commerce Resources: When Dye, Gold, Gems,Incense, Fur, Silk, Silver, Spice, and Wine are next to a river, you will receive One Extra Commerce more then normal when you settle on top of them.

Other things to consider when placing a city:

Jungle/Floodplain: Health value is can be a big deal when placing your cities. A city surrounded by jungles or floodplains will get unhealthy very quickly. Researching Iron Working will give your workers the ability to cut down jungles. The other advantage/disadvantage to building on a floodplain is the very rapid growth. In the early game, this will lead to unhealthiness and unhappiness very quickly. Consider not building farms on floodplains right away in order to control your growth. In the later game, these cities will make great GP generators.

Rivers: Building on a river will not only give you extra health (+2 for a city adjacent to fresh water), but will automatically connect any cities on that river. You won't need to build roads to get that essential trade route early on. Oasis also count as a fresh water source and I assume also give a health bonus, though it is not specifically stated in the manual. Another benefit to rivers is the defense bonus (+25%) and you may find some cities have rivers on three sides, almost surrounding it like a moat. This on top of a hill can make your city nearly impenetrable. Also consider though, if you are going to ride out on the offensive from within your city, your units take the same penalty for crossing that river.

Coastal Cities: There are a number of factors to consider when building a city on coastal terrain. The first is of course access to the sea and an extra trade route. A coastal city can also become an economic powerhouse, especially with the Colossus wonder, which provides an extra commerce for every cities' water tiles. Building a lighthouse will also provide an extra food for every water tile within that city's borders. Though water tiles provide no production value, this can usually be balanced with worker improvements on the surrounding land tiles.

Roads: I'd also like to make a final note about roads. I'm sure everyone has figured out that roads do not generate gold the way they did in CivIII, but there is something more. A resource tile directly linked to a river does not need a road built on it in order to connect it to your trade network. The only requirement is that the river somehow links directly to your trade network.
Remember, Rivers = Roads.
Also, as mentioned before, railroads add 1P to both mines and lumbermills.

I hope people will find this guide useful. I will continue adding/correcting info as it comes. Special thanks to Heroes for his best income breakdowns and added civics. For more information, you can refer to Brokguitar's Photo Guide to Terrain, Improvements and City Placement.

Thanks! This helps a lot as I couldn't find this info in the manual, and although some of this can be deduced from the civilopedia it's much easier and more informative to read the above. Is there a cIV War Academy yet? This one needs to be put there I think.

This is very good. It gives ma a good idea what to build where. Currently I'm building at random. Didn't know about forest on hill with a lumbermill being better as a mine. I was deforestering my entire empire. I also never even noticed that forests next to a river don't give the commerce bonus.
Thank you.

Great job in pulling thin information into an easy to read format. It will definitely help in the early/expansion phase of the game.

LIER!!!! WHY???? :nono:

why do you people keep doing this:
As you can see, keeping the forest will give you better production in the long run than if you chop it down to replace it with farms or cottages. On a forest/hill tile it is not worth replacing it with a mine early in the game because you will only get that 1P back and lose the health benefit in return.
from your own pages:
Grassland/Hill/Forest = 1F 2P
Plains/Hill/Forest = 3P

a mine takes away the forest, (and its one production) but it adds 2 production.
so a mined hill is BETTER then a forested hill.
the grassland hill mined has a food and 3 production (instead of a food and 2)
and the plains hill mined has 4 production (instead of 3)

untill you get to lumber mill, then it EVENS OUT (lumber milled is not BETTER then mined)
except you lose the health bonus.
but when chopping down teh forest you get 30 production in the city, so that's a bonus for mines that leaving forested doesnt give.

(edit: the post sounds angrier then it is. i'll add a smily face to make it read as intended)

Thanks, this is just what I was looking for.

Questions..

1. Cutting down forest in your own or neutral territory, gives you somewhere between 25 and 60 production in my experience. Anyone knows what it depends on? (Seemed to me like the distance from the city; but not sure.)

2. Forests regrow sometimes. Anyone knows how often? And what it depends on (e.g., no improvements, I assume)?

3. When you build a city, the terrain and yields change. What are the rules for that?

4. When you set worker to "auto", what rules they use? In my experience, they cut down all forests, and build somewhat random things. Any better description? :)

1. biggest difference seems to come from game speed. on nomral they give 30 hammers. on epic they give less, on quick more. i think it may also depend on map size (i've played mostly same size maps so not sure). have not noticed a difference from distance. though the forest does have to be inside your cultural borders to give hammers to your city.

2. yes to the "no improvements" assumption, other then that i dont know. not very often though.

3. yes, it always changes to 2 food, 1 production and 1 commerce. i have not yet built a city on a bonus so i dont know what happens to them when you build a city on them.

4. sorry, have not yet automated anything except "build roat to..."

RoddyVR said:
a mine takes away the forest, (and its one production) but it adds 2 production.
so a mined hill is BETTER then a forested hill.
the grassland hill mined has a food and 3 production (instead of a food and 2)
and the plains hill mined has 4 production (instead of 3)

untill you get to lumber mill, then it EVENS OUT (lumber milled is not BETTER then mined)
except you lose the health bonus.
but when chopping down teh forest you get 30 production in the city, so that's a bonus for mines that leaving forested doesnt give.

You're absolutely right. I was thinking it was better to have a lumbermill on that square later on because the health bonus makes it marginally better, but to say it has better production (unimproved) was completely wrong. I don't know how I came to the conclusion that taking away the forest -1P and adding a mine for 2P equals out when it's actually +1P. LOL boy do I suck at math sometimes. :crazyeye:

Anyway, thanks RoddyVR. I'll fix that.

Oh and you don't get any bonus from building a city on top of a resource that I know of. I know you used to in CivIII, but I built a city on top of stone once and all it did was give access to that resource once I researched masonry. I know that building on a hill will not only give you a better city defense, but will also add 1P to your city later in the game. It does not do this in the early game though. I haven't yet figured out what tech research or civic adds that 1P to a hill city.

*edit I've updated the guide with some of these additions/corrections. I've also recalculated the resource bonuses because in the game they actually appear differently from what the manual claims. I'd like to point out particular attention to the bonus resources that need the mining improvement. I only just noticed that you only get 1P from mining gold, silver and gems. This is actually 1P less than you would get from mining a regular hill tile!!! Once I noticed this I decided to have a very very close look at all the resources to see what they actually do.

Edits: Added a list of contents to the tops as well as more info about health and a small section on city placement.

Stuporstar said:
Windmill = 1F 1C

Machinery:
+ Plains = 1F 2P 1C
+ Grassland = 2F 1P 1C

Windmill = 2F 1P 2C
+ Plains = 1F 3P 2C
+ Grassland = 2F 2P 2C

Best possible production: 1F 3P 3C (Plains + river)
Best possible food: 2F 2P 3C (Grassland + river)

Is this correct?
I see the figures correlalte with either 1F 1C or 1P 1C...

Which one, then?

Good info here. Thanks for putting it together.

Just to add on what could be a difference for production yield from chopping down a forest, I also believe it depends on what you are building, improvements in the city, and what civ traits you have. For instance, given base line for everything else, if you have a Drydock in a city building a ship and you chop the trees down, you get 45 production out of the tree.

Stuporstar said:
Oh and you don't get any bonus from building a city on top of a resource that I know of. I know you used to in CivIII, but I built a city on top of stone once and all it did was give access to that resource once I researched masonry.

I don't believe you get the bonus unless you build the associated improvement on the tile (Quarry, Mine etc et al)

The only real bonus to building a city right on top of a resource is that you don't have to wait for a worker to road+improve that tile to gain access to that resource - it's yours instantly. (Even better is if your new city is connected via river to your capital :goodjob: )

It also means you don't have to station units to defend that resource to prevent pillaging by AI later. (Something I've found that the AI absolutely loves to do. :mad: )

I think those benefits are worth the lost +1P or whatever the proper improvement would have provided otherwise.

Cities founded on plains/hill tiles get two food and two hammers in the city square.

A really excellent overview and analysis of terrain and improvements! :goodjob:

Two minor points: I miss the Financial Leader attribut as a factor.The effect is another commerce, if the tile already produces two commerce.

For the sake of completlyness, you could also add the coast and ocean terrain, including the effect of the lighthouse building and the Collosus wonder.

Pfeffersack said:
A really excellent overview and analysis of terrain and improvements! :goodjob:

Two minor points: I miss the Financial Leader attribut as a factor.The effect is another commerce, if the tile already produces two commerce.

For the sake of completlyness, you could also add the coast and ocean terrain, including the effect of the lighthouse building and the Collosus wonder.

Thanks Pfeffersack! I've added a section about coastal cities to the city placement section of the article. That also reminded me that I forgot to include inland coastal tiles (which give 2F 2C rather than 1F 1C) and added that to the terrain section. I think I'm going to leave off on the Financial trait bonus though because it's been better discussed in trait articles.

V.Soma said:
Originally Posted by Stuporstar
Windmill = 1F 1C

Machinery:
+ Plains = 1F 2P 1C
+ Grassland = 2F 1P 1C

Windmill = 2F 1P 2C
+ Plains = 1F 3P 2C
+ Grassland = 2F 2P 2C

Best possible production: 1F 3P 3C (Plains + river)
Best possible food: 2F 2P 3C (Grassland + river)

Is this correct?
I see the figures correlalte with either 1F 1C or 1P 1C...

Which one, then?[\quote]

I do see an error there, and it has been corrected. Under Replaceable Parts and Electricity the base modifier should be 1F 1P 2C not 2F 1P 2C. The rest is all calculated correctly. The difference between the best food and best production is the terrain.

Klyden: I'm not sure what all the modifiers are when chopping down a forest, which is why I didn't go too far into it. Thanks for that additional info. I'm going to have to test out different factors and see what you get for chopping. I wish I knew what the game was basing all its calculations on for that.

Vizzini: The main advantage to building on a city can also be a big drawback though. If your enemy take that city, then suddenly you are at the same disadvantage. If they take your city that's right on top of iron, then suddenly they have your iron and you can't pillage either. So, I guess I wouldn't say that advantage outweighs the production loss. What they really need to do is make it so that you can build a fort ON TOP of an existing improvement. Then maybe forts will be more worth bothering with.

I haven't yet figured out what tech research or civic adds that 1P to a hill city.

I have a very slight suspicion that it could be once you discover railroads.

Mines: any Hill tile - can build on resources
Tech: Mining, Railroads +1P if a railroad is added
Mine = 2P
+ Snow, Desert, Tundra, Grassland = 3P
+ Plains = 4P
Best income: 4P (with rairoad)
Best possible production: 5P 1C (Plains + railroad + river)
Best possible production with resource: 7P 2C (Aluminum +2P 1C + Plains + railroad + river)

And since as people have mentioned "the only benefit of creating a city on a resource is access to that resource" I would make a connection that it functions as like a mine/farm etc. And hence CivIV reads it as a "mine" and gives you the +1P for it.

My wasn't that convoluted :p

Yes, No? Well out? Give me some feedback on that idea.

Actually, I have figured that out, and the extra 1P on a hill has nothing to do with railroads or mines. You get an extra 1P for building a city on a Plains/Hill and it has nothing to do with tech, civics, resources or anything else. This extra 1P is inexplicable, it just is. I think it could have do with the fact that a Plains/Hill has the greatest amount of natural production that a bare tile can have, but why other types of terrain wouldn't have modifiers as well is beyond me. Perhaps it is a bug? Anyway, I have added this note to the guide in the City Placement section.

Stuporstar said:
A Comprehensive Guide to The Cumulative Values of Terrain, Improvements and Resources.
The following types of terrain, or terrain features, modify the base terrain values:
Jungle = -1F (-0.25 health)
Hills = -1F 1P
Forest = 1P (+0.5 health)
Floodplains = 3F (-0.4 heath)
Oasis = 3F 2C fresh water source (+2 health?)
River = 1C (+2 health, city must be adjacent)
Rivers give no commerce bonus to Snow, Jungle or Forest tiles.
Have you found proof of a health bonus from oasis? I was unable to get a health bonus in testing city placements.

Great overview!!! Really.

I'd like to point out some aspects I observed:
1- Your Guide is absolutely useful. However, I think it might be more useful a "terrain-type approach" rather than a "process approach". Actually, when I play I ask myrself "which improvement can I build here?" rather than "Where can I build this (any) improvement?".

2- As pointed out in the fine brokguitars's photo guide to terrain, improvements and city placement (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=138526&page=1&pp=20), buildin cities DO actually grant some boni (one extra commerce or one extra food or one or two extra hammers!!!). This may represent a significant production boost...I didn't analysed it yet, but there may be a resource whose improvement is not rentable (in FPC terms)/available and therefore justify the foundation of a city in its tile...any suggestions?

3- The chopped-forests hammer bonus varies indipendently of (or at least does not depend only on) the game speed setting. I've only played normal speed so far and I've experienced juicy 56 hammers boni!

4- In my last game I wasn't able to build a watermill on a floodplain...quite strange..and annoying

Thanks a lot and comments are highly welcomed!!

Top Bottom