SLower Tech + other balances mod.

Dearmad

Dead weight
New Balance v1.3a
14 May 06
by Peter Shafer
Works with Civ IV v1.61 Patch

LAST UPDATE to this MOD ever- switching over to WARLORDS support and it'll be in a new thread.

the readme:

New Balance v1.4
20 Jul 06
by Peter Shafer
Works with Civ IV v1.61 Patch

While MOST changes in this mod are not based on other people's work, a few changes are inspired by the work of others, and are noted when they are substantial, use some of their material, or were truly original and worth "stealing!" Thanks go out to those.

PROMOTION changes used a few artworks from Zuul's mod:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=142086&highlight=promotions

How to use:
UNZIP to the civ4\mods\ folder like any other mod. So you should have a "New Balance" folder right under your MODS folder in your main CIV directory.

You WILL NOT BE ABLE to replace the old mod with this one mid-game! WARNING! It WILL CRASH! Back up your old version if you're mid game!

What this mod is about:
I'm not trying to change CIV in any major ways but wanted a few things to be better...

1: This mod makes the NORMAL game about 25%-40% longer. What do I mean by longer? I mean that TECHNOLOGIES drive the pace of the game- they come slower. There are about 25% more turns, so when playing it feels like you stay in each era a little longer. This means you get to mess with units a bit more before the next tech makes them obsolete. Some other things are slowed down a little too for balance reasons: city growth, etc... but in a proportional way that is better than the vanilla EPIC game included in the game.

You'll see more units in the game and have a livlier classical/medieval/gunpowder age experience.

2: The difficulty levels of NOBLE and PRINCE are changed. NOBLE is almost 100% equal now, it is truly you vs. the AI evenly. Prince ups the AI's ability in a few stats- upkeep, war morale, etc...

Based on (Select when playing):
"NEW BALANCE" SPEED (works with EPIC too- but those games are ridiculously long now)
NOBLE/PRINCE (although other levels are OK too!)

----------
v1.4
----------
Added "NEW BALANCE" gamespeed to selection menu and returned "Normal" to truly normal speeds. Select NEW BALANCE in the gamespeed option to activate the game pacing changes for this mod!

Archer units gained +20% and +10% (when mounted) versus Axemen when attacking. The AXEMAN unit has always made swordsmen worthless, now there is a further reason why you might choose swords men.

Removed Fort Garrison MOD changes. This only made for a tempting cheese tactic versus the AI. AI's don't use forts... sorry, but good bye.

Spy missions are cheaper except the sabotage one (ruining what a city is building) as that mission is powerful.

Increased graphic size of Spies, CA, BB, Workers slightly.

Decreased WORKER figures from 2 to 1.

Decreased MG figures from 3 to 2.

Added first strike chance to Explorers and Scouts (they're sort of ambushy units).

----------
v1.3a minor changes/fixes
----------

Fix: Got the tech splash screen working again

Removed mod portion that relaunched jet patrols, as the patch fixes this.

HORSE based units significantly better at WITHDRAWING: IMO, Horses are too unimportant in the game. Historically, they were hugely important additions to a civilization's repertoire of war weapons... without them... things were tough. So I beefed up the horse units a bit.

----------
v1.3 Additions/Changes
----------

GALLEY now costs 25 (was 30). The economy needs them cheaper for them to appear in the right numbers, IMO.

EXPLORER has a combat value of 5 now (was 4).

----------
v1.2 Additions/Changes:
----------

Reworked ENTIRE mod based on the NEW FILES from the 1.61 patch! (Grrrr... took forever!)

Free Speech: +1$ in towns, not +2$.

MISSIONARY differences removed:
I'm STILL unhappy about how religion plays out in the game and STILL thinking about what to do about it. In the meantime, it's pretty much Vanilla CIV style.

GALLEY cost: 30

BANK provides 40% commerce bonus (was 50%).

Reworked Free Speech/U. Suffrage:
Less WW with Suffrage, more with free speech. I STILL think Universal Suffrage contributes to WW becaus, let's face it, women are a bit more anti-violence than men at least in organized ways... history has borne this out.

FORT GARRISON III moved earlier to Chemistry.

--
v1.1 Additions/Changes:
--

Reworked dates to better match technology.

Scaled back to 33% the bonus Industrial gets for making wonders.

FORGE costs 100 not 120

ALL SWORD UNITS gain 25% DEFENSIVE bonus vs. ARCHER (not longbows and x-bows, though).

CARRIERS carry 4 not 3 units, are slightly cheaper (the real cost is the planes).

KNIGHTS/MACEMEN moved to slightly different research track.

SUBMARINES gain 25% attack versus TRANSPORTS. Slightly cheaper too.

BATTLESHIPS slightly more costly.

UNITED NATIONS with FISSION (So a little earlier)

Radio Towers with RADIO

INTERNET with MASS MEDIA

OIL is more clumpy in distribution:
A few nations now will tend to control it- and it's easier to take it militarily- makes it more strategic I think.

NAVY SEAL can board SUBMARINES.

ADDED 2 PROMOTIONS:
DESERT COMBAT and ARCTIC COMBAT: +25% defense in terrains, plus double movement in those terrains. Requires Combat I first.

Updated artwork of FORT GARRISONS with stuff from Zuul.

U.S.A flag changed to Betsey Ross style.

--
OLDER CHANGES:
--

CLEAR JUNGLE with BIOLOGY (instead of being able to do this right away!)
Because jungles are FIERCE scary DANGEROUS places, damnit! It was medicine that allowed the panama canal clearing of jungle, no amount of slaves dieing in great numbers could do it! So jungles stay on the map until the 1800's or so... nice.

Note that you CAN build ROADS, CAMPS and PLANTATIONS and MINES and such in JUNGLE with GUNPOWDER which is earlier than MEDICINE. This is to help get those trade items (Ivory and Bananas) into the game a little earlier than medicine, and to simulate that Conquistadors used the natives to do the work by dominating with guns and forcing them into slavery.

COTTAGES built with MONARCHY (was Pottery):
The economy heats up too fast too early otherwise. I figure you need a slighty betetr knowledge of civics before you have suburbs. This change is hard to deal with if you're used to having loads of $$ in the game- you will need to balance your economy much more carefully now.

FISSION reveals URANIUM (was physics):
Because the stupid AI will trade Uranium and mine it before it can USE it! -sigh- So that's fixed. now the AI will have it when it wants to build bombs and stuff.

WINERIES with POTTERY:
Why? Well, duh!

SPY & SCOTLAND YARD available with NATIONALISM:
Why? Because waiting until COMMUNISM SUCKS.... and besides the plans for textile mills were stolen by "spies" in real life back in the 1700's or so... I figure an earlier tech should get you spies.

SCOTLAND YARD and spies are cheaper:
Spies need to be earlier in the game...

SPY missions are cheaper in general...

MAP TRADING with ASTRONOMY not with paper:
Because I want larger black spots on the map a little longer... give my sailing ships something to DO!

TECH TRADING with GUILDS not with Alphabet:
I think this makes sense to some degreee, plus tech whoring early in the game can ruin it.

GREAT LIBRARY with ALPHABET not literature:
Literature is NOT what was in the great library in real life- it was scientific texts and philosophy, this wonder can be one tech earlier.

DRY DOCKS with ENGINEERING (was steel):
Shipbuilding is an ancient art really, and the concept of dry docks goes back to ancient Greece and the Cartheginians... so we'll compromise- this allows more sailing ships to enter the game if you want to focus that way.

CARAVAL carries TWO special units:
As they were, even with more time to use them, the Age of Discovery wasn't quite as fun as it ought to have been when I played TERRA maps... so I let the caravel be a little more effective at delivering Conquistadores (Explorers and Missionaries if you will). :)

CANNONS require GUNPOWDER + Printing Press (was steel + gunpowder):
This unit came WAY too late in the game, in my opinion- about 1 tech away from ARTILLERY! So now it can occur in the gunpowder age, but not instantly with gunpowder, you need to have researched the other mechanical branch a little too.

AMBUSH PROMOTION not available until you develop STEEL

ALL SHIPS have +1 movement from vanilla civ iv. (except work boats)

FORBIDDEN PALACE, CITY WALLS, and CASTLE are cheaper to build.

-----
CIVIC STUFF (LOOk over this screen in the game! Many changes to bring a better balance.) I find I actually change governements now and then, and even fret over what to choose at times now.
-----

PAPER needed for Beaurocracy (was civil service- so it's one tech later).

GOODY HUT MAP: Reveals a little more map a little further away.

SHEEP: +1 food, prod. and trade w/pasture (was +2,0,+1).

WHALE: +1 Prod and food as base tile. (was +1 food)

CAVALRY upgrades to Tank OR Gunship: I've no idea why cavalry to gunships was in the vanilla game since all the worlds cavalry was usually dead in the intervening 100 years that tanks and artillery ruled the lands... so, now human and AI have a choice.

CASTLE with CONSTRUCTION (was engineering): so it's earlier

BUNKER w/REFRIGERATION (was electricity): so later by one tech

Reworked TECH REQUIREMENTS for FLIGHT, ARTILLERY, ROCKETRY, and COMBUSTION to make those a little harder to run for without supporting techs. FLIGHT was too easily skipped completely- I didn't like that for the space race.

MARKET is a -1 health building.
It brings in a lot of trade, people, and so disease (like the plague) so this needs to be represented somewhat in the game, IMO. (Besides I want something to slow city growth just a tad.)

---
FORT CHANGES:
three levels, by tech, higher levels inclusive of lower levels:

Basic:
+5% Heal

w/Optics:
+5% Heal
+1 Visibility

w/Steel:
+5% Heal
10% withdraw chance gained
1 first strike chance

Because the AI doesn't build forts and they are more helpful now the time to build them is increased by +66%.

Balanced start locations better at higher difficulties.

Units after Warrior and up to Musketmen are 5 prod. cheaper to produce. This has the effect of making the classical age more populated and bit more "lively."

Workshops come with MACHINERY (one tech earlier)

LOWERED commerce bonus of market/grocer to 20%. (-10% net change)

LOWERED science bonus of universities/observatories to 20% (-10% net change/-5% each)

AI HANDICAP is now truly much closer to EQUAL with the player on NOBLE difficulty.
AI HANDICAP at PRINCE is balanced a bit more in the AI's favor- with slightly grater Barbarian activity.

Observatory requires Astronomy and Liberalism (was just Astronomy)

Attachments

• New Balance v1.4.zip
    360 KB · Views: 282
NIIICE, cant wait to try it !!!

Great !!! This is what I was looking for !!!
Tech went way to fast,can't wait to try it out.

Hmm. I think your changes sound a lot better than the ones in the "Civ4 Realism Mod." But I haven't tried either yet.

Dearmad said:
This mod INCLUDES the following mods:
Improved DOMESTIC ADVISOR by homegrown:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=135189
I would think that would be something for people to put into their CustomAssets folder if they like it.

Dearmad said:
Same as above.

Dearmad said:
How to use:
UNZIP to the civ4\mods\ folder like any other mod. So you should have a "Slower Tech + Balance" folder right under your MODS folder in your main CIV directory.

Shouldn't it go in CustomMods?

Dearmad said:
SPY & SCOTLAND YARD available with NATIONALISM:
Why? Because waiting until communism SUCKS.... and besides the plans for textile mills were stolen by "spies" in real life back in the 1700's or so... I figure an earlier tech should get you spies.
Spies existed a loooonnnnggggg time ago. Sun Tzu talks about them in the Art of War, although he mainly talks about using them to gain intelligence about the enemy's disposition and to feed the enemy misinformation, not about sabotage.

Dearmad said:
SCOTLAND YARD and spies are cheaper:
'Cause FIRAXIS screwed up and made spy issions NOT modifyable in COST! DAMN IT! SO I cut the player a break here at least. 12% cheaper.
Eep.

Dearmad said:
AMBUSH PROMOTION NOT available until you develop STEEL
Hmm. I'm curious why? If it's out of a concern that military strategy and tactics were pretty bad up until that point, then consider Sun Tzu. In his day (around 500 BC), the armies he was familiar with were made up of chariots and mail-clad soldiers:
http://www.kimsoft.com/polwar2.htm said:
Sun Tzu said: In the operations of war, where there are in the field a thousand swift chariots, as many heavy chariots, and a hundred thousand mail-clad soldiers,

[The "swift chariots" were lightly built and, according to Chang Yu, used for the attack; the "heavy chariots" were heavier, and designed for purposes of defense. Li Ch`uan, it is true, says that the latter were light, but this seems hardly probable. I t is interesting to note the analogies between early Chinese warfare and that of the Homeric Greeks. In each case, the war-chariot was the important factor, forming as it did the nucleus round which was grouped a certain number of foot-soldiers. With re gard to the numbers given here, we are informed that each swift chariot was accompanied by 75 footmen, and each heavy chariot by 25 footmen, so that the whole army would be divided up into a thousand battalions, each consisting of two chariots and a hun dred men.]
(The stuff in []s were notes by the translator, Lionel Giles)

The rest sounds good, though personally I have reservations about the changes to the religions.

Why is it when i load this mod i get an xml errors that say there are more siblings than memory allocated for them ?

Great work Mad, and a vast improvement. Thank you. No, I agree, such changes are not changing the game, but actually making it more enjoyable. Please see my 'Strategy and Game Speed Improvement' thread under 'Creation & Customization' posted as a suggestion, as I personally think that 100% to 200% longer is not out of the question. I once had a game that literally took months to play, and it was fun for just that reason. It was like a dear friend with its own reality that made it so enjoyable - like reading a long epic novel that puts you in the driver seat. Cheers!

Hemperor said:
Why is it when i load this mod i get an xml errors that say there are more siblings than memory allocated for them ?

I'm not getting that. Have you added any mods to your CustomAssets folder?

If not, it might be a good idea to clear your cache files. Find your Documents and Settings/Application Data/My Games folder, and delete the 'Sid Meier's Civilization' folder if it's there, to do that.

I'm also having a problem with this mod. First off I really love it. Great work! That being said if I try to load a saved game after playing with the mod, I keep getting an error when Civ tried to reload the mod. I've tried loading the mod first then loading the saved game file but that doesn't work either. Suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? Civ keeps telling me that the folder is invalid but I can load the mod up on a new game.

Please post your savegame, and I'll take a look.

Citidream said:
I'm also having a problem with this mod. First off I really love it. Great work! That being said if I try to load a saved game after playing with the mod, I keep getting an error when Civ tried to reload the mod. I've tried loading the mod first then loading the saved game file but that doesn't work either. Suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? Civ keeps telling me that the folder is invalid but I can load the mod up on a new game.

I am having the same problem...did you get a fix for it?

Savegame load problems solved by placing the mod in your civ4\mods folder, not the some other folder. This is a problem with all mods on some systems.

Shadowlord:
I'd add in spies earlier, but I'm not wanting to offbalance things from Vanilla too much yet.

The reason AMBUSH comes later is it's only good versus ARMORED units ie TANKS... and being able to begin prepping units with this upgrade about 80 turns prior to tanks is... um... not to my taste to put it midly. Sun Tzu's wisdom aside... :) The quotes are great though.

Nu uh:
Then you'll like the version I posted above as it supports EPIC game length... 700+ turns. OMG that's a long time. Seems like world conquest ought to happen a lot sooner but maybe not?

don_lahnum:
Oh crap... might have reversed this... thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure it's right for the next release.

I ended up fixing my problem. I had another file from another mod in the custom assets folder.

I am enjoying this mod. I did noticce that the rate of great leaders born seems to be a bit out of control. Ive had turns go by where several leaders are born in a turn. This seems to happen frequently.

Not sure if thats intended other than that 2 thumbs up.

I also think that the game go by slower if more techs where added. Instead of wheel allowing roads, have a seperate tech called roads. Something of this nature may help extend the time rather than increasing the cost

Dearmad said:
don_lahnum:
Oh crap... might have reversed this... thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure it's right for the next release.

No problem...I just hope it's right! On a side note...do you know how to change the leader traits? I'd like to change one to Ind/Phi...but can't find that info anywhere!

I like a lot of your ideas, but not all of them, so I'm modifying my game with the ones I want.

The one that I can't figure out: how do you change the prereq. for cottages and wineries?

-RDF

Top Bottom