Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - Strategy & Tips

Old Nov 09, 2005, 01:24 PM   #1
icecool
Warlord

Question Inflation - How does it happen in Civ4

Does anyone have information on Inflation in Civ4.

I've seen it going up in my games but I've not beeen able to find any infomation about what actually casues it.

I've checked the manual and tried a search here but was not able to find anything - could be blind and dumb though so please be kind if I am

Please help if you can.

Thanks Ice
icecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2005, 02:38 PM   #2
MrCynical
Deity

Inflation is something of a 'fudge factor' so that upkeep increases over the course of the game. There's nothing you can really do to affect it, and it isn't a very significant expense. I've never seen it rise to more than a couple of gold per city.
MrCynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2005, 02:39 PM   #3
Rabbit_Alex
Prince

I think that maintenance increases the cost of city/unit maintenance as time goes on but I could easily be wrong as I've never read anything about it coming from an official source.
Rabbit_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2005, 04:18 PM   #4
icecool
Warlord

On one of my games Inflation was 99 and I still have no idea why.....fudge factor...great

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers, Ice
Old Nov 09, 2005, 06:10 PM   #5
Ezy
Chieftain

i was also wondering what cause the inflation % to change
i dont think # of town is the main cause (it might be one factor)
i seen it go up and down and up again in my games
is there a patern to it? something to do with ur economical stability?
rapid expansion? incr. or decr. in income?
im sure there is a formula to it
Ezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2005, 06:12 PM   #6
Tommy1234567890
Warlord

it is probably like corruption in a city but they disguiced it with another name
Tommy1234567890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2005, 06:30 PM   #7
Skippa
Noble

In the Game Speed Mod threads I saw that there is an inflation value for the different game speeds. May this have anything to do with the in game inflation?
Skippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 01:40 PM   #8
icecool
Warlord

It sure would be nice to know - it can be a big chunk of your cost and we have zero information about it.

Very fustrating!!!

Does anyone have any idea??

Cheers, Ice
Old Nov 16, 2005, 01:29 PM   #9
homan1983
Prince

I think it has to do with the amount of money you have STOCKPILED. Since stockpiled cash will devalue with time, the more stockpile u have, the larger the hit you will take from inflation. Its a very good concept and entices one to spend their cash [as real world governments do] or face losing some of its value as time goes on!
homan1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 01:49 PM   #10
Heroes
Heroes of Might and Magic

If you mouse over in F2 screen, you will see the origins of your city maintenace, civic upkeep, and inflation. Basically, inflation = a given percentage (say 31% in 1530 AD) * (city maintenance + civic upkeep). I think the percentage is determined by number of turns and simply goes up, and you can't control it. But you can still drop inflation by decreasing city and civic upkeeps. In another word, the later in the game, the more you want to use cheap civic and drop city upkeep.
Heroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:06 AM   #11
MikeJep
Chieftain

Inf

Hah I had 170% inflation on my emp game it sucked...
MikeJep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:08 PM   #12
MrCynical
Deity

Little bit of thread necromancy here, and most of the stuff in this thread isn't entirely applicable to the game since beyond the sword was released. Inflation can now go a lot higher (200%+ has been reported in very late finishing games). Aside from a random event or two there's not much you can do to affect the actual percentage. You have to reduce the maintenance costs they apply to if it's getting expensive, or find other sources of gold.

Oh, and welcome to CFC!

Want to learn the true power of corporations in BtS? - Try my article on the power of Sushi!
MrCynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 02:52 PM   #13
MikeJep
Chieftain

inf

I changed the XML to lower inflation
MikeJep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 03:59 PM   #14
Cabay Jet
Warlord

Inflation now affects corporations as well. It's a bit of a bank breaker if your ask me.
Cabay Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 05:26 PM   #15
Underdawg
King

AFAIK, Inflation is directly related to the number of turns played through in a game.
Underdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2007, 05:00 AM   #16
DarthLeon
Chieftain

Until inflation hits 100%, youre basically getting money back. Towards the start of the game, youll have about 12% inflation, youll get alot of money back so you can actually afford some units. As time goes by, inflation will increase, but so will the wealth of your empire. Trying to make massive armies in the modern age can become extremely expensive in this case, as it is in real life. Its actually a rather ingenious way to do it.
DarthLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2007, 10:30 AM   #17
OTAKUjbski
TK421

You can view it directly in CvPlayer::calculateInflationRate().

As mentioned by Underdawg, it's based on the number of turns elapsed and starts after a certain number of turns have elapsed.

It uses the variables <iInflationPercent> & <iInflationOffset> from CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml and <iInflationPercent> & <iAIPerEraModifier> in CIV4HandicapInfo.xml.

Good luck.