Votes: 121 76.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Just as good

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters

Warspite2

Prince
Not sure if a poll like this has been posted yet so I will go with it. Since a little while has past (not sure if it is long enough) maybe people have played enough to give an opinion. I have to wait until I get CIV4 to comment myself. I thought CIV3 was always the best by far but now, from what I been reading everywhere, CIV4 is now on top as the best CIV game ever. I will let others answser here...

I see a lot of people having problems running the game but for me since it worked perfectly right away on all high graphical settings I'm saying a definite yes.

I've never had any issues with mutli-player or single-player with civ iv..

I also have a radeon and play on windows 2k...

Anyone that has issues, has issues.

loosid

Only flaw I can see with this game is the combat system(not as in understanding it, but as to see the promottions taking effect

SP Civ4 is incredibly FUN but, for me, nothing can beat the brilliance that IS Civ4 Multiplayer-had my first ever sessions at the weekend (one on internet, the other on direct IP) and they were both BRILLIANT. Seriously, guys, this game truly rocks in ways that Civ2 and 3 never could (and I haven't even tried MODDING it yet ;)!)

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

I think this game captures the spirit of the original Civ but adds all the improvements of the 2 and 3 and then some AND gets rid of a lot of the flaws in present in 3.

I have no complaints as far as the gameplay is concerned. It does run a bit clunky on my laptop though so I would prefer a more computer resource friendly game.

There could be improvements but it's more along the line of tweaking as opposed to CIV3 where corruption was just the hugest pain.

Yes, it's better, but there are still rather a few dumb things that they could have fixed but didn't (and a few they made worse).

New in Civ4: tanks can catch faster trains than people can... helicopters pilots all have terrible aquaphobia and can't fly over the coast... the wonder that gives you reasearch known by two other civs is enabled by probably the second-to last tech in the game...

whb said:
New in Civ4: tanks can catch faster trains than people can...

When you have a tank, you'll get to board any train you want. Who's to stop you? :p

But seriously. Yes, it's fairly silly. Just like the rivers used to be.

is the earth round ?
is water better then no water ?

are other similar questions ;)

Civ 4 is amazing, a big step up from Civ 3:D I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but teh single player game rocks, the AI is much smarter and the game generally has improved:goodjob:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think in Civ 4 one of the things that has really been ripped to shreds is the tech tree and wonders...

They are really quite different - less techs, and less distinct ages - i would have liked to have seen a distinct enlightenment age - with technology and wonders...There is less feel to the passage of time in civ 4. There needs to be more technologies with more units i think. What would be really cool is incorporating your own design of units and your own leader with your own traits, like you could do to a certain extent in master of orion 2 - what a classic game that was.

The combat system is wierd... I mean how can a 18-19th century company of rifleman BEAT a 20th century apache combat chopper squadron even if it is at half strength? There really needs to be a mod to negate some of these effects RE modern units versus units of an age below - they should be given a massive downgrade eg. - 100% or something like that. I'm sure one of the smart people around here is already working on a kickass realism mod. For example, modern armour should NEVER EVER lose points when attacking a medieval unit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me put it this way, since I got my new computer I haven't even installed Civ III on it. ;) And likely never will.

I see a lot of people complaining about how vastly outdated units can beat technologically superior units but really it's not that difficult to believe.

Let's say you have a tank unit and a unit of musketmen, both well trained. If they stand there in an empty field firing at one another then of course the musketmen are going to get ripped to shreds. But Civ is supposed to reporesent the entire war experience, not units firing at eachother in an empty field.

What if the musketmen ambushed the tank unit in the night taking out the guards and then destroying the tanks?

What if the tanks unit attempted to kill the musketmen but suffered a technical failure allowing the musketmen to surround and destroy the unit?

What if the tanks tried to pursue the musketmen unit into some forest, not realising there was some impassable terrain there where the musketmen could set up an ambush?

Are any of the above scenraios likely? Not really, but then again I think you'll find that the chance of a tank losing a battle to a unit of musketmen is quite unlikely in Civ too, it's just if you play enough games you will see it happen.

Bluetooth said:
This is the best Civ game so far. :D Yes, it's even better than Civ 2.
You know I'm thinking about installing Civ II. I miss some of the wonder videos and the terrain. That was a beautiful game and in many ways better than Civ III.

The game is more tuned in to builders than warmongers.

What I especially find enjoyable is that the new game to a greater extent encourages the player to seek out synergic effects of various traits, wonders, buildings, improvements, techs and so on.

Some bothersome exploits have been taken out of the game. Although I am sure that new ones will be found.

Combat is not so exciting as it was in Civ3. My reason for thinking so is entirely subjective and has to do with the disapperence of the Great Military leader. I liked the fact in civ3 that you could go on the warpath not neccesarily to gain territory, but simply to generate military leaders to rush national wonders and expensive buildings.

theprivateer83 said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think in Civ 4 one of the things that has really been ripped to shreds is the tech tree and wonders...

They are really quite different - less techs, and less distinct ages - i would have liked to have seen a distinct enlightenment age - with technology and wonders...There is less feel to the passage of time in civ 4. There needs to be more technologies with more units i think. What would be really cool is incorporating your own design of units and your own leader with your own traits, like you could do to a certain extent in master of orion 2 - what a classic game that was.

The combat system is wierd... I mean how can a 18-19th century company of rifleman BEAT a 20th century apache combat chopper squadron even if it is at half strength? There really needs to be a mod to negate some of these effects RE modern units versus units of an age below - they should be given a massive downgrade eg. - 100% or something like that. I'm sure one of the smart people around here is already working on a kickass realism mod. For example, modern armour should NEVER EVER lose points when attacking a medieval unit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I haven't played the game much but I'm already looking at possible mods to fix many details I'm not happy with. It's not as well balanced as Civ3, you gallop through techs too quickly in the latter stages, and the units and their ratings don't make sense. The build times for units are also much too slow (to be fair, this was a problem with Civ3 too).

The game is just far too static still for this former wargamer, I want to create something that is a lot more flexible, dynamic and hopefully unpredictable. But there doesn't seem to be much out there in the way of modding assistance ATM, so it might be a while before I can create the kind of game I want.

Bast said:
You know I'm thinking about installing Civ II. I miss some of the wonder videos and the terrain. That was a beautiful game and in many ways better than Civ III.

I can agree on that. The wonder movies in Civ 4 is not as good as in Civ 2, on the other hand I love the terrain in Civ 4. I reinstalled Civ 2 a couple of months ago and I was a little bit disappointed.

I think it's much better.

- City flipping for example - it was so annoying in civ 3, a conquered a city with 10 tanks, and then it flipped back to the other culture, and all my tanks are gone :eek: :mad:

+ RR movement is limited
+ promotion system is great :goodjob:
+ it's reativ easy moddable, even for a modding dummie like me :goodjob:
+ Multiplayer right from the start
+ religions ( also they could be better and more interessting )
+ more tile improvments
+ Civic System :goodjob:
+ far away cities are useable ( not the one shield production problem ... )

Civ 3 is better in

Performance ( Civ 4 can be very sluggish )
Tech tree is better balanced ( and not always finished in the early 20th )century )

but the points for Civ 4 counts more IMO, and Tech Tree is modable ;)

Top Bottom