Idea: Inquisition Mod

spincrus

sol invictus
As most of you could remember, in [civ3] we had ethnicities: when one city was conquered, all the members of the city were of the other civilization, and citizens with our own ethnicity only showed up as the city grew in size, with every new citizen added.

In [civ4], we have region domination values (eg: 96% Roman, etc.).

However, I was expecting prior to the release of the game for religion to replace the ethnicity issue to a certain extent.

Well, it hasn't, and the only things good about it are viewing other cities with the religion of our own state religion, have stronger diplomatic ties with other nations, or make them convert to your own religion to improve ties. Not to mention the bonuses you receive from having a religion in a city.

I, however, am quite annoyed by the fact that my new colonies in Terra-type maps convert to random religions if left "faithless" for too long. Missionaries help to introduce the state religion to your own colonies, but the damage is done (and quite frankly, I don't want to open up World Editor to edit cities and remove the religion).

It's bad to a certain extent: if Islam spreads in my colonies, which I designated to be strictly Christian (hey no offense here, I was playing Rome and owned the holy city. I once even played Persia and converted to Judaism, just for the heck of it), it would give the nation with the Islamic holy city the advantage to view all my colonies in the new world.

And once they set sail to the new world, they already know what to do!

So here's my idea: Is it, or would it be possible to make a unit similar to the missionaries, called something like Inquisitioners maybe, which would cost more hammers and maybe restricted to certain buildings or the holy city of your own religion only, which you can only have one at any given time, that could be used to literally WIPE the city of ALL religions present and JUST introduce the state religion? Or such units which are religion specific?

I'd love to wipe all religions from a city (at some cost of distress and such of course) that I conquered and reintroduce, say, Taoism, by force.

I don't think that's currently possible, but I'd love to hear some feedback from you guys. I'm not really good with the whole Python and XML thing, as I've always been just a graphics person throughout my modding experience (excluding the .ini files we had to write for each unit and the .cfg files we had to edit and what not). But I'd like to know if the programming of such a thing is currently possible in [civ4].

Thanks for your patience :D

SpincruS said:
would it be possible to make a unit similar to the missionaries, called something like Inquisitioners maybe
NOOOOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!:devil:

No seriously, this is the single most interresting MOD idea I've seen to date :cool:

Removing non-state religions would also demolish all buildings related to these religions (all tempels, monastaries and cathedrals on non-state religion will be razed). Loosing these might cause plenty of unhappiness in itself.

Using Inquisition should probably cause unhappiness in the same way using slaves does (sacrifice population to finish production).

I guess religion should generally be changed, so cities gain +1 Unhappiness per non-state religion present in the city. Free Religion will remove this penalty of course.

There's a religions mod in the completed modpacks forum, where someone else voiced a similar opinion.

I think it's doable. If you can introduce a religion to a city, you should be able to remove it too (thinking code-wise)...

I think that is a BRILLIANT idea, Spincrus, and very much in line with my view that religions should have a positive and negative element to it. For instance, I believe that Theocracies should be naturally bad for 'multi-faith' cities, to a similar extent that free religion is good for them. By the same token, perhaps Organised Religion and Theocracy allow you to build inquisitors-which allow you a % chance of removing a religion from a city, but with perhaps a happiness penalty along the lines of either war weariness or pop-rushing. Obviously, Pacifist and Free Religion societies would be unable to build or use inquisitors.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

There was a post about an inquisitor unit a while back. I think the general thought was that you could only use it on your own cities, it caused unhappiness, and maybe killed a few of your people.

The Great Apple said:
There was a post about an inquisitor unit a while back. I think the general thought was that you could only use it on your own cities, it caused unhappiness, and maybe killed a few of your people.
that would be genocide..... :eek:

Nateman01 said:
YES!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the forums, you have offically resurrected your first thread.

Top Bottom