New Civilization: Vikings

The file is: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Vikings1.zip

Civilization: Vikings
Noun:Vikings
Adjective: Viking
Colors: Red
Starts with: Fishing and Hunting
UU: Berserker (Axeman, 1+ power and allows amphibious attack)

Title and leader 1: King Canute
Leader 1 bonuses: Expansive and Organized
Leader 1 favourite civic: Hereditary Rule

Title and leader 2: King Ragnar
Leader 2 bonuses: Aggressive and Financial
Leader 2 favourite civic: Hereditary Rule

Cities:
Trondheim
Birka
Hedeby
Uppsala
Ribe
TO BE CONTINUED...

Niiice work!!

Must try this one as im from Sweden , it will feel like home :crazyeye:

Keep up the good work :goodjob:

so i don't need to do them, good...
less work for me!!

i would have rather give the leader aggressive and expansive than organized....after all, they were great warrior
Else, give them another leader (ragnar lodbrock, erik the red) wich is aggressive
i think the +1 mov is not enough for the UU, maybe give it a promotion (withdraw, +50% against galley)...i would have prefer a berserker with amphibious, but well, it's a matter of choice...

Anyway, great Job again...

There are too many aggressive leaders. I don't think we need to make *every* Civ leader aggressive. :)
My suggestion is to save the aggressive trait for Ragnar -- if you're up for making a second leader CivArmy.
[EDIT]
Note: I know nothing about King Canute -- so you don't need to take that literally.
[/EDIT

I'll second the Berserker unit! But I can see why the longboat is needed in conjunction with the berserker. Personally I think they all need 2 UUs or as many as possible.

for balanced gameplay only one UU ("Unique" Unit) is required.

Since boat can be less important on Pangea map and really really important on archipelago, i'm not so sure it would be a good idea to have a naval UU (that's why i think all vanilla UU are land units.)

the problem would be the same with an amphibious berserker (depend of the map) i would rather prefer a movement 2 or city raider berserker (replacement of the axeman)

I wasnt aware that there was such a thing as Viking civilization. I can understand Scandinavian or Norse civ, but Viking? I know that civ series are not the most historically accurate games, but I still think Viking civ is bit of a stretch...

Just check out the history of the word "Viking"...

Hi, first post from a long time lurker on Civfanatics...

My suggestion concerning the Viking UU is that a galley with the Caravels ability (to enter territory without Open Borders-deals) would be ideal to represent the longboat raids in Western Europe. Remember that it can also be used for more peaceful purposes like sneaking in missionaries, settlers and explorers, just as the Vikings did in eastern Europe. (well, perhaps not missionaries but since there are no traders or merchants that can travel we´ll have to settle with missionaries)
This would make razing and plundering improvements a viable strategy to get gold. You won´t have to attack the big cities, just cause some general mayhem like the Vikings did :)

If that seems like a crappy UU, combine it with the +1move to get in my opinion, a fair representation of the Viking Longboat.

What do you think?

Funkin said:
I wasnt aware that there was such a thing as Viking civilization. I can understand Scandinavian or Norse civ, but Viking? I know that civ series are not the most historically accurate games, but I still think Viking civ is bit of a stretch...

Just check out the history of the word "Viking"...

the Celts were more of a culture than ever being a civilization, but it can still be fun to play.. just look at who the leaders usually are for proof of that :p

I certainly agree that Vikings as a civ aren't any more historically accurate, but I suppose it is more romantic than other names.. though I think Norse carries the same visions of greatness..

most importantly, it is civarmys mod, and we should respect his decisions.. don't have to play it if we don't want.. I highly recommend it though, most excellent work once again, Civarmy!

vikings are these kind of civs which are historical in civilization game history. Such as the Celts, Carthage and some others....

Vikings don't really compare to "civs" such as Celts or Carthaginians and Im not really sure what you mean by them being "historical in civilization game history".

Vikings were merely a unique warrior class in Nordic society, but they did not really have a distinctly enough separate identity from other Scandinavians (in terms of culture, mythology, or even language). They were Norsemen who specialized in seafaring and raiding and outside of Jomsvikings, VERY rarely referred to themselves as Vikings. In Old Norse viking simply means "a person from the bay". On the other side, many other nations when subjected to these raids either simply referred to them as Norsemen pirates or simply called every raid of that sort a viking raid (regardless of whether the attackers were Danes, Scots, Slavs, or even Africans).

The term Viking only became popular in the 18th century, and the time period involving these raids simpy (and somewhat incorrectly) became known as the Viking age.

Plus there is not actual evidence that ever was a unique type of a "Viking" longship. They were just ordinary longships that were popular with both Scandinavian and Germanic peoples.

some historians interpit thr word viking as raider, because the term at the time was "to go a viking" meaning to raid. bu regarding viking as a civ, i suppourt it, as the communities relied on the funding or these raids, and would brobably not have developed without the plunder.the viking were known to have construted specialized hulls which sucked water under them, thus increasing speed and decreacing noise, but was not used as commonly with germanic tribes, bar a few of the northern ones, who were more norse than germanic, previding you mean germanic regarding clothing, culture, mythology and language.

No I meant Nordic. That's why I think it should be a Norse or Scandinavian civ (like it was in Conquests) and maybe have some type of amphibious raider UU. Although Im not try to tell you or the originl poster how to make mods as I have made none myself... ;)

I don't know why Im being anal about this, I guess because Im part Scandinavian myself (Norwegian). In Scandinavia the question of Vikings often causes a lot of controversy especially among historians. I simply believe that their existence as a separate culture has been greatly exaggerated...

I'm exciting with the comments, thanks for all friends!!! :D Its good to learn more about the Viking and/or the Scandinavian and/or Norse culture :)
Well, we have many suggestions of leaders and UUs, so, why not do all them? The solution could be the solution used by myself at the Civ3 time when I did civis for 3 "Vikings" countries: Sweden, Norway and Denmark. Then I could put different leaders and different UUs of this region of Europe. But let's use this solution in some weeks or mounths, not now, what I could do is create a second leader for the Vikings, people can use this thread for a poll, debate, election of this 2nd leader... its my pleasure produce a second leader for Vikings, maybe it could take weeks to be done since I have more LHs on my to do list, but it could be done and would be useful to many players :)
Oh, why did I choice Viking Boat as UU: cos it just uses texture works and it was "easy" change the Galley texture for create my Viking UU, create the Berserker would be harder. But if someone was able to create it I could add it on this civ, or make a poll to choice what UU Vikings should have. And off course, I can change easily the power of my Viking Boat if most people agree with it ;)

thanks for enjoy and I'm waiting for suggestions, I'm not just meaning suggestions for the 2nd leader, but for every else, as city list, UU power... good posts :)

Being Danish I'm glad the vikings are back in the game, although I kinda miss the Berserker... As Funkin said, "scandinavia" would have been more fidding, but what the hell... Now I'm just waiting for the Norse Mythology modpack, so we finally can spread the words of Odin to the world... (actually since the Norse mythology is a "warrior" religion, a possible UU could be a fighting missionary) :D I like the idea of a Viking looting and pillaging while spreading the good word... :D :D :D

Top Bottom