Modding the Combat System

Master Kodama

Nitpicker
It struck me awhile back that the different unit combat types (Archery Units, Melee Units, Mounted Units, etc.) are not quite diverse enough to simulate realistic combat, particularly in the Ancient/Classical through the Medieval ages, and I've finally decided to post on the subject.

For instance, units that fight in a tight formation (Spearman, Pikeman) should be strong, particularly against a frontal charge, but should be susceptible to flanking. After all, the Roman Legion wasn't completely immune to this tactic even with their otherwise highly effective formations. However, this flanking/formation combat is not modeled in the game even by combat bonuses.

Proposal the First: Melee Units should be split into two categories. Axemen, Swordsmen, and Macemen would remain Melee Units, while Spearmen and Pikemen (and probably Praetorians, renamed to Legionary/Legionnaire) would be a part of the UNITCOMBAT_FORMATION grouping and be "Formation Units." The different categories would be something akin to light and heavy infantry respectively, but I think the names "Melee Units" and "Formation Units" better describes their functioning. What would this change do exactly? Well, while Formation Units would have increased strength from vanilla civ, certain units that are good at flanking would then get a bonus vs. Formation Units. Which brings me to the second part of my proposal.

Proposal the Second: Mounted Units should be divided into two groups, Light Mounted Units and Heavy Mounted Units. Light Mounted Units would be primarily those mounted units effective at flanking (Horse Archers), and would gain bonuses against formation units, while Heavy Mounted Units, charging "frontal assault" type cavalry (Knights), would be powerful but have a distinct disadvantage against Formation Units much like in the default game.

In order for the Spearman to have an era-appropriate opponent to pit it's cavarly-killing powers against (besides weakling Chariots), the unused Companion unit should probably be implemented as an Ancient/Classical age Heavy Mounted Unit. I was thinking that this "Horseman" could come with horseback riding, and the Horse Archer could come with a new Classical tech, Stirrup, but this set-up could be the opposite if people think it would be better and/or more historically sound.

Also, the IMHO now completely useless "Flanking" promotion could be changed to a +25% vs. Formation Units bonus promotion, and would be available to a wider range of units. A similar promotion that gave a bonus vs. Light Mounted Units would have to be implemented (but what to call it??).

This would be the relative break-down of the new unit combat types:
Melee Units: Axeman, Swordsman, Maceman
Formation Units: Spearman, Pikeman, Legion
Light Mounted Units (flanking): Horse Archer, Cavalry
Heavy Mounted Units (assault): Chariot, "Horseman," Knight

In theory, this is not a difficult mod. In fact, I plan to make this mod myself. The reason I'm posting is because there are still a lot of questions about how to handle certain things. Balancing the units properly is going to be a key issue. One example: Formation UUs which replace Melee Units, such as the Legion/Praetorian, could possibly cause balance problems.

A pretty massive re-tooling of the units, Ancient through Medieval and probably Renaissance, would be needed. Things would work out best if more units were added to the to the game, like a Line Infantry unit or "Lineman" (is this even an appropriate name?), and a Lancer unit (for Renaissance Heavy Mounted Unit, if it makes historical sense in that category).

One question is, should I make Musketmen (and Line Infantry if they're included) into Formation Units to give Cavalry more use as flanking units and better simulate combat? Or maybe make a new "Gunpowder Formation" group? I think the latter makes the most sense, but I feel like I'm splitting enough hairs as it is ;) .

To any unit-skinners interested in this potential project: I would greatly appreciate a re-skin of the Immortal that made it into a generic Lancer unit. If you want to get an idea of what I mean, d/l and take a look at Frontbrecher's "Lost Units Mod" in the Completed Mods subforum -- specifically the reskin of the Cossack to be a generic Cavalry unit. Something along those lines would be greatly appreciated by myself and no doubt the rest of the modding community. While I'm mentioning it, re-skin of the Immortal or Keshik to make it into a Sipahi (replaces Lancer) would be excellent too, for those who'd like to have the Turks in their game :mischief: .

Anyway, sorry this description is so bloody frickin' long :blush: . Any suggestions?

I think that, while a very creative and potentially meritorious effort on your part, and while the issue of a new system of classification for units would help engender a better combat modifier system based upon the class/type of unit, that overall this system breaks down upon the issue of flanking. Flanking is not an innate ability of any one type or class of unit. Although mounted and mechanized units are especially adept at it, I could out-flank you with my spearmen in principle. This framework, by the present system to use combat modifiers to simulate the effectiveness of one type of unit vs. another, is a good and sound one, in my view; but, basically, it isn't good for simulation of combat tactics: not that it can't be with some pretty heavy-duty ingenuity. The best method I've seen to date with regard to this particular subject is: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=137154&page=8#144

Colonel Kraken said:
You can add new unit categories?

Yes, and it's easy. The only real change you need to make is in the UnitCombats.xml file, IIRC.

Personally I'm making combined categories; Horse Archers are Mounted Archers, for example. Any unit that has a bonus against Mounted units or against Archer units gets a bonus against Mounted Archer units. It's a lot of work on my end but should be more intuitive for the user. I'm also considering making Light and Heavy modifiers, but I'm not sure there'd be enough depth to them for that to work well.

you could have it so that flanking gives the +25%, and can be used as an upgrade so your other units CAN have it, but the adept units automaticaly start with it, as a sort of automatic flanking bonus, while other units not so good at it must earn it.

Genius.....Pure genius.

Something like this would greatly affect my Medieval mod I am working on. I always thought flanking was useless in vanilla, flanking = withdraw, who came up with that? Its stupid, flanking needs to have an actual combat binus, not an increase chance to run away.

Would you mind if I incorporated your idea into my mod?

Kushan

Kushan said:
I always thought flanking was useless in vanilla, flanking = withdraw, who came up with that? Its stupid, flanking needs to have an actual combat binus, not an increase chance to run away.
:lol: This is exactly what I thought when I first saw this. How stupid.

Withraw isn't stupid at all. It just has low chance of run away. You can weaken enemy strong units and not losing yours. In my opinion horse archer should have 70% withraval chance because it's missile unit. Shoot all arrows and retreat.

Why not to add more categories like "infantry" or "foot unit" so that mounted units have higher chance to retreat if losing? It's logical too because mounted troops are faster.

Units like horse archer should naturally have the ability to withdraw. That was the tactic, attack by riding forward and firing arrows, retreat, repeat untill all arrows were used.

Kushan

Or why not to create new class "Horse Archer" or "mounted archer"?

The only threat to them was another missile unit like longbowman because they could shoot back.

These units were very effective against infantry, they should have 50% attack bonus against mele troops and not against archers because horseman is biger target than archer

Zurai said:
Yes, and it's easy. The only real change you need to make is in the UnitCombats.xml file, IIRC.

Would it be that or the Unitclassinfo? Were is the UnitCombats.xml found? I cant seem to find it lol.

Kushan

I just looked it up. It's in Civ4BasicInfos.xml, the UnitCombatInfos section. They work in game without any further modification (other than associating them with units, of course).

LittleRedPoint said:
Withraw isn't stupid at all. It just has low chance of run away. You can weaken enemy strong units and not losing yours. In my opinion horse archer should have 70% withraval chance because it's missile unit. Shoot all arrows and retreat.

No one said allowing units to withdraw is stupid. Calling withdrawing "Flanking" is stupid.

So, if you create the new stirrup tech, move the quote and Leonard Nimoy soundbite from Horseback Riding to it, and try this one for Horseback Riding:

"No horse gets anywhere until he is harnessed." - Harry Emerson Fosdick

First off, thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated. :)

Nuh Uh said:
I think that, while a very creative and potentially meritorious effort on your part, and while the issue of a new system of classification for units would help engender a better combat modifier system based upon the class/type of unit, that overall this system breaks down upon the issue of flanking. Flanking is not an innate ability of any one type or class of unit. Although mounted and mechanized units are especially adept at it, I could out-flank you with my spearmen in principle. This framework, by the present system to use combat modifiers to simulate the effectiveness of one type of unit vs. another, is a good and sound one, in my view; but, basically, it isn't good for simulation of combat tactics: not that it can't be with some pretty heavy-duty ingenuity. The best method I've seen to date with regard to this particular subject is: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=137154&page=8#144
Everything you've said is reasonable. However, the example you've sited having to do with unit positioning would be completely impossible for me personally to code into the game. Not only would it require the SDK (otherwise the AI would be clueless), I would have no idea where to even begin doing that stuff, so I'm gonna start with what I CAN do. Beyond that, as a turn based game, and because of its construction in general, Civ's design doesn't really accomodate tactical combat, particularly in any way that can be affected by the player or the positioning of units in relation to each other. Positioning units to gain an advantage makes sense in a real-time game where it actually gives you an advantage you can SEE as combat unfolds. Otherwise I feel that tactical advantage should be modelled in with the bonuses -- which is exactly what the bonuses are there to represent anyway. Sure, flanking isn't an innate ability, but neither is anything else a unit can do that would afford it bonuses. If you had your spearman charge into an oncoming line of cavalry while waving their spears in the air instead of setting their spears against the charge, then they wouldn't be nearly as effective :crazyeye: . This is an extreme example, but my point is that ALL combat bonuses are based on how a unit has been used historically and/or should be used in combat. This is, IMHO, the best way to model things like flanking until the SDK comes along and someone with a lot more creative and coding prowess than me decides to create some wholly different and new way.

By including bonuses like flanking into the unit combat bonuses, I feel I can best preserve an enjoyable level of simplicity in the gameplay -- i.e. things won't get overly complex and complicated with unit positionings, making the player constantly wonder how much of an advantage/disadvantage which side has when there are units scattered all across a portion of the terrain.

Quinzy said:
you could have it so that flanking gives the +25%, and can be used as an upgrade so your other units CAN have it, but the adept units automaticaly start with it, as a sort of automatic flanking bonus, while other units not so good at it must earn it.
That's sort of what I'm saying. BUT, I think that units that already have a bonus vs. formation units should be able to get an additional 25% from the Flanking promotion -- just like every other unit in the game can get an additional bonus added to their innate bonus by getting a certain promotion.

LittleRedPoint said:
Horse Archers will have the ability to withdraw in this mod. Probably somewhere along the lines of 50%, so that they won't become to overpowered when given the Withdraw promotion (different from the Flanking promotion), which will give a +20% to withdraw chance. Other units, such as archers, will probably also have a chance to withdraw, but lower.

Kushan said:
Genius.....Pure genius.

Something like this would greatly affect my Medieval mod I am working on. I always thought flanking was useless in vanilla, flanking = withdraw, who came up with that? Its stupid, flanking needs to have an actual combat binus, not an increase chance to run away.

Would you mind if I incorporated your idea into my mod?
Thanks. :) And feel free to use this idea in your mod. Just please give credit where credit is due. :D

Some more possibilities:
One idea I had to help diversify the units and add some realism, is to add a "Formation Tactics" technology into the tech-tree. Prior to this tech, one could only build regular ol' ho-hum spearmen with no bonus vs. Heavy Mounted Units, but with this tech would come the ability to build "Formation Spearmen" (Legionnaires would also be unbuildable without this tech). However, this would cause a repitition of graphics, which could get confusing as to what type of spearmen is in play on the battlefield. Assuming that no one will make a reskin of the spearman to look more Ancient/Neolithic (and I'm going to assume no one will :p ), this problem could be solved by having distinctly different formations and/or number of sub-units for the regular and more advanced spearmen. All I would need is for someone to help explain how formations work in the xml files. :crazyeye:

Not sure if I'll be doing this or not though, or whether it's worth it.

Also, I'm seriously considering modifying what units come with what techs in the Medieval era. I really don't like the current set-up, and I already have a mod in the works that switches them around quite a bit.

I've been working on a combat system for ancient warfare in the new TAM mod for CIV4 similar to what you are proposing.

I have:
Light Unit (Archers, Skirmishers)
Medium Unit (Axeman, Swordsman)
Heavy Units (Spearman, Pikeman)
Light Mounted (Chariot, Horse Archer)
Heavy Mounted (Horseman, Cataphract)

And the Siege, Naval, etc. The whole promotion system is also overhauled. RIght now I have a lot planned that I haven't had time to post yet. I will soon.

You can check it out there:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=135332

Hope that helps.

Right now, the way I understand it, if both unit have a % chance to retreat, none of them can. Well, this is my interpretation, because the game says that mounted units cannot retreat when attacking other mounted units, but in the XML, there is no flags except for the % of withdrawal. So, if you want an ability that prevents others to retreat, you can give them a 1% withdrawal chance. I'm not 100% sure about that tho.

And, normally, you can only retreat when attacking, which is dumb IMHO.

Top Bottom