Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - Multiplayer & PBEM

Old Nov 28, 2005, 02:19 PM   #1
Gothar
Chieftain

PBEM Player name changes

I have noticed that my player name changes sporadically when opening PBEM games. It is in no way consistent and it doesn't change every time - i just cant figure out what triggers it to change my name, once it even came back with my opponents name (only two of us were playing)
Gothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 03:25 PM   #2
elderotter
Otter King

we are not sure either - tho we have a game where my name is ugliotter, and other player's name is elderotter - taken from me by the computer - very confusing as i seem to have the need to talk to myself alot.
elderotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Gothar
Chieftain

Rodger dodger ugliotter thanks for the response!
Gothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2005, 02:29 AM   #4
heihojin
Prince

I have also experienced this problem, and am relieved to see that others have as well. Every turn in Game 18 (my first Civ IV PBEM), my player name has changed: the first turn to an opponent's name, and every turn thereafter to "MICHELLE". Furthermore my own password, which I reset every turn through Alt-D, is erased.

I have no explanation for "MICHELLE", other than it might be a player-specified password.
"Long ago, those sophisticated at strategy first created undefeatability and then then awaited the enemy's defeatability. Undefeatability lies with ourselves; defeatability lies with the enemy. Thus, those sophisticated at strategy are able to create undefeatability but are unable to make the enemy defeatable.

So we say, 'Victory can be perceived, but it cannot be created.'"

- Sun Tzu, translated by J. H. Huang
heihojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2005, 02:51 AM   #5
stagnate
Warlord

I'm actually guessing that it gets set to the player name by another player. Since the default is the user account, someone is probably using an account 'MICHELLE' and hasn't changed the default.

Annoying.
stagnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2005, 12:06 PM   #6
boballen
Chieftain

My PBEM partner and I have noticed that games opened by clicking on the file name instead of starting the game and going through the menu always revert the name to the original name.
boballen is offline   Reply With Quote