[SDK MOD} More Map Sizes

dlordmagic

Warlord
This is my first sdk mod. A revision of the Xhuge and Giant mod. For the next month or two I will keep available the two file attachments for those who have not upgraded to the 1.61 patch. The two attachments are not an sdk mod. Only version 3 is an sdk mod.

This is what the changes look like for version1.
Click on the image to get a full-size view.

12/O6/05
I am adding version 2 to work specifically with the Terra, Pangea, Oasis, Maze, Mirror, and Tilted Axis(Cause this is a square map) I have added Map scripts with some changes to work with this Mod. Exact details are in the read me file in the mod folder. The other map types work fine with version 1.
The map sizes vary map type to map type . The load times are basically the same except for the land heavy maps and the pangea and the terra maps.

4/29/06
I am adding version three of this mod to work with the 1.61 patch.
Changes are there are now 6 map sizes to choose from instead of two.
2nd change is an SDK mod to allow the use of these additional map sizes.
Most load times are under 10 minutes. Exact details are in the readme file in the download link below. Note Team_Battleground is not supported yet. The featured map is the terra map at 74 x 48 with a 4 x 4 plot structure equalling 296 x 192 map plots. Thats 56,832 plots. Takes about 20 minutes to load on my computer and I have 1.24 Gh AMD Athlon with 1G of Ram. Will be faster or slower depending on your individual computer.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/sdksixmapsizes.zip

5/19/06

I have added the source changes for those who wish to combine with their source changes.

Alien Invasion Coming in the future.:goodjob:

Attachments

• XHUGE and GIANT.zip
    65.9 KB · Views: 497
  • XHUGE and GIANTv2.zip
    183.9 KB · Views: 696
  • Source Mod.zip
    25.2 KB · Views: 219
I'm learning. I attached the file instead of tryin to link it. just click the attached file instaed of download. Once again sorry bout that.

Seems to work fine for me and the setup time for the Giant map was only seconds :)

I do wish though that if you select a custom continent map, with one team per continent, then you would get just that and not the two teams that it insists on placing.

The above is nothing to do with your mod but just the way that Civ4 seems to apply those custom game settings.

Well done with your map size mod :)

How is the stability on those map sizes in late game?

On a 2.8ghz with 1gb I found that 144x96 was the best I could get decent performance out of in the late game...

Thanks for checking out my mod Morgan UK, took me close to a week to find the four files to change. Just wanted to give more options to players to choose. As for your reply FexFx, honestly havent gotten to the end game yet,
although the number of troops on the map is most likely the cause of any game crash. Thats what usually caused my civ3 game to lock up on me. Since Civ4 uses animated 3d graphics coupled with python being an interpreted language, it most likely sucks up alot of virtual memory. However I'll look into it to see if that cant be fixed. Recommend getting more Ram or figure out how to change the virtual memory settings. Also try to keep to the 8w by 5h ratio that most of the map sizes seem to be at.

Lots of monkey love from Kmart shoppers. Dont ask I thought it so I said it or wrote it to be more precise.:king:

Oh I have kept t
o that ratio, my numbers above were a typo, its 144x92...which is a base 23.

...at any rate, the crashes were seldom on higher levels, but the slowdown was pathetic...and the difference between base 23 adn base 24 was amazing!

Oh and base 23 and base 24:
HUGE is 32x20. (128x80) 10240 Tiles
Base 21 would be: 34x21 (136x84) 11424 Tiles
22 would be: 35x22 (140x88) 12320 Tiles
23 would be: 37x23 (144x92) 13824 Tiles
24 is: 38x24(152x96) 14592 Tiles

I found the performance difference between 23 and 24 was huge.

UH-OH...
Something I just learned about my mod which I will wager is also true of your mod...

Terra maps dont work and it is also likely you will have problems with:
Great Plains, Highlands, Hub, Ice Age, Inland Sea, Lakes, Maze, Mirror, Oasis, Pangea, Ring, Team_Battleground, Tilted Axis, Wheel

I have not tested these maps yet pesonally, but I am certain they will suffer strange behavior just as with Terra...

Terra ends up as one big land mass with no water!!!
:cry:

Thanks for pointing that out I checked to see what you mean. Since that map setting has its own Map sizes it relies more on the python script than on Xml. I guess changing the XML overides some of the map scripting in that file giving it that crappy look. Plus it takes much longer for the map to generate.

Will try to find a way to fix that. Checked your mod out like it I do.:goodjob:

CONFIRMED
Great Plains, Highlands, Hub, Ice Age, Inland Sea, Lakes, Maze, Mirror, Oasis, Pangea, Ring, Team_Battleground, Terra, Tilted Axis, Wheel
DO NOT WORK WITH SIZE CHANGING MODS!
All of these map scripts result in a single land mass without any water, and climate banding, from ice to arid at the edges gradiating to jungle in the very middle.
Their Scripts specify map sizes.
I attempted to make my own versions of these maps by simply inserting the new map sizes...however this DID NOT work!

The following map types should work without a problem:
Archipelago, Balanced, Continents, Custom Continents, Islands.

Currently I have changed values in the lakes and inland sea that will work with the Mod will post as soon as correct some more map types.:eek:

Edit: Changing the values were unnessecary.

Goal of 100+ downloads between Civfanatics and Filefront has been reached. Not bad for a simple Mod. Work will begin shortly on an Alien race Civ. Which will be coupled with this map size mod. What can you expect. The alien race will be far more advanced than any earth civ. Two types will be released. One will be non-playable(akin to the barbarians but there ultimate goal is your ultimate destruction). The other will be playable same goal but in reverse.

To all would be Map Scripters, I have found out something interesting while trying to make my version 1 mod compatible with all map types. There is a limited number of map sizes which can be used with certain map scripts. They are as follows:
-1 = NO_WORLDSIZE
0 = WORLDSIZE_DUEL
1 = WORLDSIZE_TINY
2 = WORLDSIZE_SMALL
3 = WORLDSIZE_STANDARD
4 = WORLDSIZE_LARGE
5 = WORLDSIZE_HUGE
6 = NUM_WORLDSIZE_TYPES

When using the Def getGridSize the syntax is

def getGridSize(argsList):
"Enlarge the grids! According to Soren, Earth-type maps are usually huge anyway."
grid_sizes = {
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_DUEL: (13,8),
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_TINY: (16,10),
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_SMALL: (21,13),
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_STANDARD: (26,16),
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_LARGE: (32,20),
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_HUGE: (38,24),
WorldSizeTypes.NUM_WORLDSIZE_TYPES: (38,24),
}

The last entry will correspond to any extra map entry in the Worldinfo XML . This change would have to be made to every Map script(copied and renamed is preferred) that contains this definition. :D

FexFX said:
How is the stability on those map sizes in late game?

On a 2.8ghz with 1gb I found that 144x96 was the best I could get decent performance out of in the late game...

Absolutely no problem at all. Very fast and totally stable :)

Top Bottom