Global Warming!!!

Chaotic Law

Chieftain
ok, I have posted a thread about changing the workers to change the terrain. That didnt seem to get anyone interested in doing that mod. The real reason I want workers to change the terrain was I made the game a lot longer. Well towards the end of the game Global warming slowly starts to kill off your cities by randomly changing tiles to desert. So, my question is this. Can someone help me to turn off the global warming?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Chaotic Law

Trying to organize the chaos.

If you figure it out, I'd like to know as well. I made a long game and all of a sudden without warning "poof" global warming and sometimes it struck multiple tiles in one turn (up to 5 tiles at a time). On a small world that is a huge percentage of tiles. They also seem to have kept out the terraforming that was introduced in Civ2. Interesting that the game makes believe in global warming, but not terraforming. I would like to turn this stupid global warming thing off as well. (PS why is it always assumed global warming give you a desert? Seems to me you could get Jungle or Marsh in a world that is 70-80% water.) Anyhow once again I would like to turn the stupid global warming thing off (it really is a pain). Short of that, maybe know what the heck is causing it (as it doesn't seem related to my buildings or populations [as I have used the editor to modify several aspects of the game]) or let me have terreforming back.

In GlobalDefines.xml:

First...

Code:
<Define>
	<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_TERRAIN</DefineName>
	<DefineTextVal>TERRAIN_DESERT</DefineTextVal>
</Define>

It doesn't look like you can control it anymore than that, but for fun you could change it to tundra or snow and have an ice age instead :)

Most importantly, later in the same file...

Code:
<Define>
	<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB</DefineName>
	<iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

I would guess that setting this to zero will stop global warming all together.

Can anyone confirm if this works? I'm hoping to avoid playing all the way through a whole new game just to find out it didn't work.

Yes, I have the same problem, in the year 2500...... global warming comes up, I thought this stuff was gone in this civ4?

I think their is also something in the sdk that controls this. I agree I would like to turn this off for my mod since it is in 500 bc.

do a search in the threads, someone posted a longer and more detailed answer to all this about five months ago, included in several threads at the time are my rantings on the subject (and NO!!!! Nuclear War causes NUCLEA WINTER NOT GLOBAL WARMING)

Just found out that there is a function is actually under the CvGame.cpp file
There is a doGlobalWarming function
It is void, so it doesn't return any value
I believe that if we remove everything that it contains, and leave it as

void CvGame::doGlobalWarming()
{
}

global warming will disappear for ever... Haven't checked it yet

But viewing the code in this fucntion, as Seven05 mentioned above, changing in GlobalDefines.xml

<Define>
</Define>

to zero should also make it work.

I made a long game and all of a sudden without warning "poof" global warming

There was likely plenty of warning but everyone passed it off as "hippy claptrap", "no real evidence as to cause", or "sombody else's problem".

;)

In GlobalDefines.xml:

First...

Code:
<Define>
	<DefineTextVal>TERRAIN_DESERT</DefineTextVal>
</Define>

It doesn't look like you can control it anymore than that, but for fun you could change it to tundra or snow and have an ice age instead :)

CONFIRMED! :goodjob:
This works!
... At least for grasslands instead of deserts :mischief:

Most importantly, later in the same file...

Code:
<Define>
</Define>

I would guess that setting this to zero will stop global warming all together.

Haven't tried this yet.

I don't suppose you could make a mod that changes it to grasslands? I haven't gotten into changing files myself, but global warming is driving me insane.

Thanks,
Matt

Haven't tried this yet.

That should work. Here's the vanilla SDK's "doGlobalWarming" function...

Code:
void CvGame::doGlobalWarming()
{
	CvCity* pCity;
	CvPlot* pPlot;
	CvWString szBuffer;
	TerrainTypes eWarmingTerrain;
	bool bChanged;
	int iI;

eWarmingTerrain = ((TerrainTypes)(GC.getDefineINT("GLOBAL_WARMING_TERRAIN")));

for (iI = 0; iI < getNukesExploded(); iI++)
	{
		[b]if (getSorenRandNum(100, "Global Warming") < GC.getDefineINT("GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB"))
		{[/b]

Switch GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB from whatever it is to 0 in the SDK XML and the emboldened line will never pass, thus you'll never get global warming.

Edit: P.S. Welcome to the forums LazyJones and MTK73!

I don't suppose you could make a mod that changes it to grasslands? I haven't gotten into changing files myself, but global warming is driving me insane.

Thanks,
Matt

That's just what I did.
I changed the contents of the file "GlobalDefines.xml"in the "\Assets\XML" folder.

Open the file in Notepad.
Scroll down a little
Change
<Define>
<DefineTextVal>TERRAIN_DESERT</DefineTextVal>​
</Define>
to
<Define>
<DefineTextVal>TERRAIN_GRASS</DefineTextVal>​
</Define>

Simple as that.
Now, whenever you get the global warming event, it simply means that one tile has been turned into a grasslands tile :mischief:

More :food: for my huge cities :clap:

Oh, and: Thanks, Gerikes :)

You should not change the original files . There is two way to do that .

1 you put a copy of the file with your changes in the same folder as the original game located into C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Mes documents\My Games\<civ4 folder>\CustomAssets and your changes will be taken in count .

2 The proper way is to create your own MOD and load it at the beginning of the game . you just need to create a .ini file into the MOD and make your changes like in the CustomAssets folder ( take an example into another MOD )

Tcho !

cool has helped abit...will try again

Find this in GlobalDefines.XML and make it look like the following:

<Define>
<iDefineIntVal>0</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

If it is set to zero, Global Warming cannot happen. It's that simple.

I tried to change my xml file to adjust global warming but all my folders are empty. I can play the game just fine so I know there is no error. Is there some program I need to see the text or make changes? Also I am new member to the forum, although I have visited as a guest before...I cannot seem to find where to go to create a new thread, if someone can help me out with that too much appreciated.

Top Bottom