civs u want added

Vietcong

Deity
what civs whold u like to see added in a mod, or expansion pack?

i whold like to see

all the civs from civ 3, and the expansions that whear left out :p

I would like a Scandinavian Civ or a Swedish, Norwegian and Danish civ:p
And the Dutch Civ, they were really nice to me all the time:p

Ruritania, from Anthony Hope's "The Prisoner of Zenda" and sequels. City names would include Strelsau (the capital), Zenda, Hentzau. Other names that might or might not be Ruritanian -- I don't know -- but which appear in Hope's Ruritania stories: Luzau-Rischenheim, Tarlenheim, Mittenheim, Festenburg, Modenstein, Glottenburg, Hofbau, Lauengram.

Ruler: Rudolph Elphberg. Favorite civic: He's a king, so Hereditary Rule. Characteristics: Hm... financial / industrious maybe? Not sure what would be most fitting. I should re-read one or more of the stories.

I've heard it said, which is to say I'm not 100% it's true, that there are only two civilizations on the planet that can claim cultural continuity through all of recorded history, Vietnam and Ireland (reference: A Bright and Shining Lie). While both cultures have had their fair share of foreign invaders neither culture has lost their indentity and in time has been able to repel the invaders. If you think the U.S. has been the worst invader ever to pay a visit, you'd be wrong cause China tried multiple times over the course of several millenia to bring the Vietnamese to heel but never did.
Leader: Ho Chi Minh
Traits: Industrial & Organised
UU: Vietcong (replaces infantry) -1 power, Woodsman II, no support cost outside of cultural boundaries.

RockStar-holic said:
there are only two civilizations on the planet that can claim cultural continuity through all of recorded history, Vietnam and Ireland (reference: A Bright and Shining Lie). While both cultures have had their fair share of foreign invaders neither culture has lost their indentity and in time has been able to repel the invaders.

:lol: you must be joking right? i speak english, watch american TV, wear french clothes, and buy japanese products while watching a roman ball game. ireland's culture is based on sentiment alone, and propaganda from the last 400 years of war. for god's sake like, we base the idea that we are celtic on the "fact" that the squiggles on newgrange tomb are the same as squiggles in la tene. after this we were settled by vikings, who set up ALL our major cities, normans, saxons, the french, the english, and scots. there is no such thing as irish, let alone an irish culture.

i dont see why the vietnamese are special either...

Exavier said:
This should probobly be in the customization forum...alot of ppl there are actually writing civs

yes there are lots of much longer threads discussing this for quite a while.

I agree that the Vietnamese, or at least a civilization from Indochina should be included, as that region is usually included today in the list of Cradles of Civilization. Besides, the Ankor Wat is included, but no civ goes with it.
Maybe give them Philosophical and Industrious.
I do also miss the Iroquios, because, well, if you're going to include the United States, you might include the Iroquios Confederation, from whom much of our system of government comes from - Franklin was no dummy, he knew a good thing when he saw it. Say .... Organized and Spiritual.
The Irish are about as mishmashed as the English when it comes to who they are (Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Norse, Normans, etc.) , but what precisely is American? We may dislike immigrants in this country - from the Know Nothing party of the 1800's to the current bigoted laws about ESL in public schools - but damn near all of us in this country had ancestors who came over on 'the boat', and not everyone came over from Europe.
Still, I think a better civ would be the Celts - which includes the Irish, as well as the Scots, and precursor civs like the Iberians and the Gauls. Gotta be Agressive and Exansive, maybe Agressive and Spiritual.
The Zulu should be included - a two move spearman with an automatic strenght bonus (lets face it, the Zulu would be Agressive) would be a very good special unit.
The Minoans might also be an excellent addition - start them with .... the tech that makes stonehendge, and fishing, and make their special a slightly stronger galley, say str 3 - since the Egyptians where always getting attacked by "the Sea People". They'd be Philosophical and Financial.

Israel.

After all, thousands of years of persecution, holocaust, massacres, inquisition, forced conversion, banning of religion, slavery...and so forth.

Yet we still practice our same religion/culture to this very day.

Culture is relative in this case...as most civilizations back then, were cultural religions.

Greek religion was found...well in Greece.
Roman religion in Rome and so forth....all have those have died.

The only one that lived through the diasapora was Judaism. =)

We (Israel) deserve to be put in an expansion for all our accomplishments. From survival to science.

I want to see canada added.....not. Maybe babylon,or zulu.

HUH?

you must be joking right? i speak english, watch american TV, wear french clothes, and buy japanese products while watching a roman ball game. ireland's culture is based on sentiment alone, and propaganda from the last 400 years of war. for god's sake like, we base the idea that we are celtic on the "fact" that the squiggles on newgrange tomb are the same as squiggles in la tene. after this we were settled by vikings, who set up ALL our major cities, normans, saxons, the french, the english, and scots. there is no such thing as irish, let alone an irish culture.

i dont see why the vietnamese are special either...

Based on this why should any civ be in the game at all. All that I would like to point out is that the Vietnamese have a much richer cultural tradition than they are usualy given credit for. Recorded histroy means just that whatever happened before the mist of time is anyone's guess, but during their recorded history the Vietnamese didn't conquer the world nor were they ever conquered and assimilated into any other culture. Unlike the romans, greece, incans, aztec, egypt.... ect., & ect. Yet we play all of these civs.

I want the Dutch!!! I miss my days in Civ3 when I use to become fabously wealthy as the Dutch and then use my fortunes to control my neighbors (then again money was about the only thing civs would respond to in the flawed diplo of civ3.) Now imagine being able to play as the Dutch with the good diplo of civ4:D.

nekom said:
I miss the Iroqois.
Meh. Those weren't really Iroquois anyway. They were kind of a mish-mosh of several North American tribes if I remember correctly.

Maya, Vikings, Huns just to grasp more of the geography of Earth. IMO Maya > Inca as far as importance, but I don't really care.

I'd like something to represent the north americans. I think the Iroquois is as good a banner as any, but I confess my ignorance of their history.

I believe that omitting the Vikings is a great error, their influence on the region was enormous.

More substantial far eastern countries. We've got China, Japan, and Mongolia. I don't know much about the ancient territories of the region, but I'd guess Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, and Cambodia off the top of my head. AFAIK, the last three play host to ancient hindu and buddhist worship. The region was forging bronze long before the west, and forged iron at approximately the same period as the Hittite,who were among the first to do so in the west.

I'd also like an official ancient campaign. Sumer, Assyr, Hittite, Nubia, Egypt, etc. Like Greek World, 1,500 back and a few miles to the east. If people want to then extract those from the campaign and add them to their mods then so be it.

I don't think vikings should be included. They were barbarians with no organized form of government or culture. I think the mesopotamian civs lost out on civ 4.

• Nubia/Sheba/Ethiopia - Of all the African civs, why hasn't this one been in the game after all this time?
  • Scandanavia/Vikings - They made it as far east as Russia (the Russ for whom Russia is named were Viking descendents), as far south as Italy, as far west as Canada. They crushed everything in their path despite the fact that they never unified! (Imagine the horrors they'd have unleashed if they did.)
  • Anasazi/Pueblo - Sadly, we don't know enough about their history, but they have a certain romance for Americans because they're one of the few North American civilizations that left ruins for us to see today. I'd kind of like to see another North American civilization, but it doesn't have to be the Sioux or the Iroquois again, does it?
  • Polynesia - You can argue they didn't significantly contribute to other civilizations, but there's a certain romance about a people who were able to navigate to tiny islands in the middle of a vast ocean with no more technology than stick and stone. With this same primitive technology they managed to spread from Madagascar to South America (or close to it). The Vikings by contrast had metal and we're impressed that they made it as far as Newfoundland, Canada. The rest of Europe didn't reach such vast distances until they had both metal and glass (and the specialized tools having both allows).
  • Korea - (1) it's an interesting civilization. (2) it's one of the biggest game markets in Asia. Duh.
  • Holland - A major colonial power, invented the multinational corporation, and for centuries the final destination for intellectual mavericks from all over Europe.
  • Switzerland - Produced badass mercenaries for centuries and pretty much invented modern banking as we know it. Despite all the wealth from their banking system, Hitler decided to go around rather than through them, probably for a good reason.
  • Ottomans - Bring 'em back, dammit!
  • Poland - Important mathematicians, composers, and oh yeah, that Copernicus guy. Plus they stood up to the Soviets even as the Soviets had a giant boot on their necks and can arguably be considered significant contributors to the final downfall of the Soviet Union (along with Afghanistan and the Soviets' own bad economic policies).

PS -- of all the Egyptian queens to feature as leaders, why haven't we seen Nefertiti yet? Heck, we've had Cleopatra and she wasn't even properly Egyptian.

Xineoph said:
Israel.

After all, thousands of years of persecution, holocaust, massacres, inquisition, forced conversion, banning of religion, slavery...and so forth.

Yet we still practice our same religion/culture to this very day.

Culture is relative in this case...as most civilizations back then, were cultural religions.

Greek religion was found...well in Greece.
Roman religion in Rome and so forth....all have those have died.

The only one that lived through the diasapora was Judaism. =)

We (Israel) deserve to be put in an expansion for all our accomplishments. From survival to science.

But the Jewish religion is in the game. The nation of Israel has not really existed for long enough, been large enough, or ever been powerful enough to stand with most of the other civs that are in the game. The extremely impressive longevity of the Jewish religion is reflected by its being included as one of the seven major world faiths in the game.

As far as the Ireland/Vietnam comment, I wouldn't object to there being a Vietnamese civ in the game, but I don't think either, (especially Ireland) can claim cultural continuity. Ireland's culture is dominated by Catholicism, their political system has been heavily influenced by Britain's, their pop culture (like almost everyone's) heavily influenced by America's. I'd also say that France has to be said to have sucessfully conquered Vietnam. Yes, they eventually left, but this was in the 20th century, when imperialism became obsolete and undesirable. Every empire in world history has eventually lost its possessions, either willingly or unwillingly.

As for new civs, I'd say the Babylonians and Assyrians need to be in there. Carthage too. Vietnam would be a good choice for a new Asian civ. The Ottomans deserve to be in there too. I vote no to Vikings and Huns, all the other civs in the game have some achievements other than simple conquest (although the Mongols arguably come sort of close to the line there).

Top Bottom