Reference - Every tech quote in the game: A Civ4GameTextInfos.xml parse

GenericKen

Not at all suspicious
Was anybody else disapointed by Nemoy's delivery? I dunno, maybe it was all too hyped up for me, but the tech quote in civ4 weren't anywhere near the absolute greatness of the SMAC quotes.

Anyway, here they are:
Spoiler :

-----------MYSTICISM - "Nature herself has imprinted on the minds of all the idea of God." - Cicero
----------MEDITATION - "Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back." - The Buddha
----------POLYTHEISM - "Not at all similar are the race of the immortal gods and the race of men who walk upon the earth." - Homer
----------PRIESTHOOD - "The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace." - The Bible, Numbers
----------MONOTHEISM - "I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me." - The Bible, Exodus
------------MONARCHY - "A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king." - Herodotus
----------LITERATURE - "Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." - Sir Francis Bacon
--------CODE_OF_LAWS - "To bring about the rule of righteousness in the land, so that the strong should not harm the weak." - Hammurabi's Code; Prologue
---------------DRAMA - "All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts. " - William Shakespeare
-----------FEUDALISM - "I will to my lord be true and faithful, and love all which he loves and shun all which he shuns." - Anglo Saxon Oath of Fealty
------------THEOLOGY - "Two cities have been formed by two loves: the earthly by the love of self; the heavenly by the love of God." - St. Augustine
---------------MUSIC - "If music be the food of love, play on." - William Shakespeare
--------------GUILDS - "People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public." - Adam Smith
-------CIVIL_SERVICE - "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy" - Unknown
--------DIVINE_RIGHT - "I am the state." - Louis XIV
---------NATIONALISM - "A man does not have himself killed for a half-pence a day or for a petty distinction. You must speak to the soul in order to electrify him." - Napoleon Bonaparte
--MILITARY_TRADITION - "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun-Tzu
--------CONSTITUTION - "No freeman shall be taken, imprisoned, or in any other way destroyed, except by the lawful judgment of his peers." - The Magna Carta
----------LIBERALISM - "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
-----------DEMOCRACY - "It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." - Winston Churchill
-------------FASCISM - "The great masses of the people... will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one." - Adolf Hitler
---------CORPORATION - "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce
-----------COMMUNISM - "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Helder Camara
----------MASS_MEDIA - "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." - Oscar Wilde
-------------ECOLOGY - "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children" - Native American Song
-------------FISHING - "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." - Lao Tzu
-----------THE_WHEEL - "Put your shoulder to the wheel." - Aesop
---------AGRICULTURE - "Oh farmers, pray that your summers be wet and your winters clear." - Virgil
-------------POTTERY - "Hath not the potter power over the clay, to make one vessel unto honor, and another unto dishonor?" - The Bible, Romans
-------------SAILING - "You can't direct the wind, but you can adjust your sails." - Unknown
-------------WRITING - "True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read." - Pliny the Elder
---------MATHEMATICS - "If in other sciences we should arrive at certainty without doubt and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics." - Roger Bacon
------------ALPHABET - "Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world." - The Buddha
------------CALENDAR - "For everything there is a season and a time for every purpose under heaven." - Ecclesiastes
------------CURRENCY - "Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it." - Publius Syrus
-----------ASTRONOMY - "Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another." - Plato
----------PHILOSOPHY - "I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law." - Aristotle
---------------PAPER - "I cannot live without books" - Thomas Jefferson
-------------BANKING - "Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson
-----------EDUCATION - "There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance." - Ali ibn Abi-Talib
------PRINTING_PRESS - "What gunpowder did for war, the printing press has done for the mind." - Wendell Phillips
-----------ECONOMICS - "Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe." - Albert Einstein
---SCIENTIFIC_METHOD - "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei
-----------CHEMISTRY - "Chemistry means the difference between poverty and starvation and the abundant life." - Robert Brent
-------------PHYSICS - "To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction." - Isaac Newton
-------------BIOLOGY - "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, but the one most responsive to change." - Charles Darwin
------------MEDICINE - "As to diseases make a habit of two things - to help, or at least, to do no harm." - Hippocrates
---------ELECTRICITY - "We will make electricity so cheap that only the rich will burn candles." - Thomas Edison
----------COMBUSTION - "Everything in life is somewhere else, and you get there in a car." - E. B. White
-------------FISSION - If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... I am become Death, the Shatterer of Worlds. - J. Robert Oppenheimer, quoting "The Bhagavad Gita"
--------------FLIGHT - "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci
------------PLASTICS - "I just want to say one word to you. Just one word: plastics." - Calder Willingham, The Graduate
----------COMPOSITES - "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts." - Aristotle
------------GENETICS - "Soon it will be a sin for parents to have a child which carries the heavy burden of genetic disease." - Bob Edwards
--------FIBER_OPTICS - "There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." - Isaac Asimov
--------------FUSION - "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
-------------HUNTING - "If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both." - Native American Saying
--------------MINING - "The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones." - Confucius
-------------ARCHERY - "Do not throw the arrow which will return against you." - Kurdish Proverb
-------------MASONRY - "It is from their foes, not their friends, that cities learn the lesson of building high walls." - Aristophanes
------BRONZE_WORKING - "It is entirely seemly for a young man killed in battle to lie mangled by the bronze spear. In his death all things appear fair." - Homer
----ANIMAL_HUSBANDRY - "Blessed shall be the fruit of thy cattle, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep." - The Bible, Deut. 28:4
--------IRON_WORKING - "You should hammer your iron when it is glowing hot." - Publius Syrus
-------METAL_CASTING - "And them that take the sword shall perish by the sword." - The Bible, Matthew
--------CONSTRUCTION - "And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains." - Percy Bysshe Shelley
----HORSEBACK_RIDING - "If you speak the truth, have a foot in the stirrup." - Turkish proverb
-------------COMPASS - "The wisest men follow their own direction." - Euripides
-----------MACHINERY - "A god from the machine" - Menander
---------ENGINEERING - "A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry
--------------OPTICS - "One doesn't discover new lands without losing sight of the shore." - Andre Gide
-----------GUNPOWDER - "You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
---REPLACEABLE_PARTS - "The whole is more than the sum of its parts." - Aristotle
-------------RIFLING - "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao Zedong
---------STEAM_POWER - "You would make a ship sail against the winds and currents by lighting a bon-fire under her deck? I have no time for such nonsense." - Napoleon, on Robert Fulton's Steamship
---------------STEEL - "Before that steam drill shall beat me down, I'll die with my hammer in my hand." - from "John Henry, the Steel-Driving Man"
------------RAILROAD - "I fooled you, I fooled you, I got pig iron, I got pig iron, I got all pig iron." - Lonnie Donegan, "Rock Island Line"
-----------ARTILLERY - "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great
-------ASSEMBLY_LINE - "People can have the Model T in any color - so long as it's black." - Henry Ford
-------INDUSTRIALISM - "There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible." - Henry Ford
---------------RADIO - "Then one fine mornin' she puts on a New York station. You know her life was saved by Rock 'n' Roll." - The Velvet Underground, "Rock And Roll"
-------REFRIGERATION - "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
-----------COMPUTERS - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window." - Steve Wozniak
------------ROCKETRY - "The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot eternally live in a cradle." - Konstantin E. Tsiolkovsky
----------SATELLITES - "Beep...beep...beep...beep..." - Sputnik I
------------ROBOTICS - "The real problem is not whether machines think, but whether men do." - B.F. Skinner
---------FUTURE_TECH - "The future will be better tomorrow." - Dan Quayle

I miss SMAC's excellent wonder movies too. No offense to the hardworking people who made CiV4 but really, the movies suck big time. After all the hard work in a wonder I want to watch it...over and over again. And not some damn scaffolding with soundtrack that basically makes up all the movies now!

I don't think the game uses the Future Tech quote. After you complete Future Tech, doesn't it it immediately go into Future Tech 2?

The file is here:
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\Sounds\Tech\Tech_FutureTech.mp3

* Fixed in v152!

Thanks for those quotes! I'm adding them to my MS Word file of fav quotes.

I agree that the "quotes" in SMAC were superior. Weren't those quotes merely written by the game designers? This was my favorite:

"Man's ability to believe what he prefers to be true, rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible, has always astounded me. We long for a caring universe that would save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary, we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. ‘God has not been proven not to exist. Therefore, he must exist.’” –Academician Prokhor Zaharev (?), “For I Have Tasted the Fruit”

SMAC was so kewl.

EDIT: Oops, I was a little off in the quote. Here's a list of memorable quotes from SMAC.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0292917/quotes

Civ could be kewl if they would allow the design of military units and allow settlers to colonize the sea.

Civ will never be "kewl." Oh, it certainly would be awesome to have those things, but never "kewl." "Kewl" is the exclusive domain of 14-year-old girls comparing breast sizes and Harry Potter slashfics.

Anyway.

The unit creation would be cool, but I do miss the old wonder movies.

You know, I was wondering last night... maybe someone could take all the old CivII and Call to Power II movies, and put them in the game? Between the two of them, most of hte wonders are represented, and a lot of the national wonders too.

On my last game I noticed that the quotes for Replacable Parts and Composites are exactly the same. Surely they could've found a single one more?

Years ago I played Call to Power, the wonder movies were way better than those in Civ4

I could not agree more. Civ4 is a fantastic game, but those wonders movies seem so cheap and kinda unispired. the civ2 wonders were great. remember the manhatten project wonder with the manequin family in the desert that gets disintegrated. Or Leonardos workshop... great musical scores, great art, and an actual movie, not the scaffolding thing. Civ4 is great but they could have worked on the movies longer. I was greatly dissapointed.

Top Bottom