Wirklichkeit

Chieftain

The Confederate States of America

Name: The Confederacy

Starting Techs: Agriculture, The Wheel

Leaders:
Jefferson Davis - Industrious, Philosophical, favors Free Market
Robert E. Lee - Spiritual, Creative, favors Nationhood

Unique Units: The Blakely Rifle (replaces cannon)
-Receives defensive bonuses
-40% withdrawal chance

Color: Custom deep red

The mod is compatible with multiple language support, I think, but right now only contains english. Richmond is the capital city, sorry to all the Alabamans out there. To use, unzip CSA.zip to your mods file, or unzip it somewhere else and move the CSA directory to your mods file.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/Minnxx/Lee1.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/Minnxx/Jefferson1.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/Minnxx/Civilopedia1.jpg

Download the File Here

Known issues:
-The formal name of the Confederate States of America is one character too long for the entry screen, causing it to drop out when you pick your leader. However, it works fine in other places.
-The Blakely Rifle isn't reskinned - I might do this if folks want it
-The discovery of rifling comes after a rifled unit. D'oh.

Planned Changes:
-Better Civilopedia entry for the nation
-Possible addition of another UU - maybe carbine calvary
-Addition of other national flags, other potentional leaders

Please help out by giving suggestions or reporting problems. Hope people like it.

Looks Nice! I've been waiting for this!
But could you do me a favour? There is a reskinned cavalry which would be a perfect UU for the CSA! why don't you use it?

Good job! Although I think the UU should be something like Confedarate Calvary or Confederate Rifleman.

My knowledge of weaponry during the civil war isn' the best.

but when u mentioned "Confederate Cannons" the story about the confederetates being ripped off, and sold cheap metal, came to mind.

I believe a lot of their cannons at some point in the war, were faulty and self exploded, causing a lot of problems for the army.. Maybe u know the full details on it.

Altough I am not an expert of the Civil War, as I know the Union Cavalry was better equipped than the Confederate. I mean they have repeating carbines and lot fo confederate cavalrymen have only pistols. But I agree, early in the war they were more successful than their opponents, mostly due to the Union cavalry leadership. After the battle of Yellow Tavern the Confederate cavalry lost his importance.:(
I suggest that you should use a special mounted unique units, which were greatly feared by the Unions in Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri & West Virginia. I mean for example the raiders under the command of Nathan Bedford Forrest. It's a simple light cavalry unit with a lots of movement, ability to withdraw from battle, maybe called as Raider. :goodjob:
It's just a suggestion, but there were nothing more Confederate unique unit in the Civil War.:confused:

Correction: This unique cavalry unit should be called Ranger. The ranger units were very successful and feared and the commands of Ashby, Morgan and others. :thanx:

Did some reading..
and at the start of the war... the confederates were considered a lot more skillful with the horses than the Union soldiers.

Basically the confederates were able to run circles around the union cavalry. In the south they learned from a young age how to ride, and how to take care of their horses etc.

So maybe a cavalry unit, with more experience point, maybe a withdrawal benefit something like that. Cavalry was basically obsolete by than anyways. and was mainly used for Scouting.. which could be another idea some sort of Cavalry/Scout Hybrid.. give it more vision.

---I read up on the cannons too, as the war went on, the major plant in Richmond, started to run out of Iron, so they used less and less as the war went on causing a lot of problems with the weaponry.

Interesting. Come up with a UU for CSA. I see the cavalry idea. Also thought about Ironclads such as the monitor vs. merrimack.. then I thought against it. What else is there? Johnny Reb ?

Pooks said:
Did some reading..
and at the start of the war... the confederates were considered a lot more skillful with the horses than the Union soldiers.

Basically the confederates were able to run circles around the union cavalry. In the south they learned from a young age how to ride, and how to take care of their horses etc.

So maybe a cavalry unit, with more experience point, maybe a withdrawal benefit something like that. Cavalry was basically obsolete by than anyways. and was mainly used for Scouting.. which could be another idea some sort of Cavalry/Scout Hybrid.. give it more vision.

---I read up on the cannons too, as the war went on, the major plant in Richmond, started to run out of Iron, so they used less and less as the war went on causing a lot of problems with the weaponry.

The thing about the cannons is apt - neither country had much manufacturing capacity, but the Confederacy had an especially daunting task in procuring an effective industrial base, since the Union was more urbanized and industrialized to begin with. But by the same token, artillery played a decisive role in so many battles that I thought making it a UU would encourage greater and more mindful use of arty, as opposed to its typical use in Civ4 as a suicide batallion. Along with that, the Blakely has a particularly mythological aura surrounding it, in examples like the Widow Blakely and the Galena Blakely.
If I do a cavalryman, I'm planning right now to give a blitz promotion, to emulate the growth in use of breechloader carbine arms in the cavalry, which allowed for quicker reloading.
The thing about making cavalry or infantry UU (or frankly artillery) is that neither the North or the South had particular advances that set them apart. That's a generalization, of course, but the two armies used a lot of the same tactics and materiel. But feel free to add anything you want, also.

fsakezaf said:
I mean for example the raiders under the command of Nathan Bedford Forrest. It's a simple light cavalry unit with a lots of movement, ability to withdraw from battle, maybe called as Raider.

One of the first thoughts I had for a unique unit was a raider unit along the lines of Quantrill's men. It was something that was effective-arguably-and mostly confined to Confederate tactics. But I decided to wait on that until we can make new units, since I don't think a cavalryman or any of the foot soldiers accurately represent it. Again, though, feel free to make it if you'd like.

Supreme Shogun said:
Also thought about Ironclads such as the monitor vs. merrimack.. then I thought against it.

Unfortunately, naval UUs are boring.

Why confine on one UU per Civ? How about the Ironclad (which is probably the most realistic idea) and the cavalry. It would be enough if the cavalry was just reskinned to make it look like confederate cavalry, the stats could stay the same. Mabey someone could even reskin the rifleman with a grey coat. That would look a lot better than this strange turqouise coat, that doesn't look good with none of the civ's colors...

I saw a reskinned cavalry in this forum but can't find it anymore. If you know what i mean and where the file is, could you add this to your Mod?

Like with several of the new modded civs, while the CSA loads fine and works well, the unit flag is all white (no confederate battle flag).

I know that this has to do with the .dds file in teh mod, any way a noobie can change it?

ceiph said:
lincoln was a repub

my first impression was he was sarcastic, u think otherwise.

[QUOTE="Barak]Like with several of the new modded civs, while the CSA loads fine and works well, the unit flag is all white (no confederate battle flag).

I know that this has to do with the .dds file in teh mod, any way a noobie can change it?[/QUOTE]

Is anyone else having this problem?

Wirklichkeit said:
Yeah, clearly, those Confederates sure loved the Republican party.
Southern nationalists hated the GOP until Nixon. Afterwards, the polarities reversed. The descendants of slaves, a GOP beacon of support jumped, as did the angry hicks. :)

Anyway, nice civ. I'd give the Confederates an Ironclad or an early submarine as their UU, since the civil war was the birth of the modern naval warfare.

Top Bottom