Choosing the Right Kind of Power Plant

xGBox

Warlord
Just a good guideline when it comes to factories and power plants:

You can start building factories as soon as you complete the assembly line. Although it's pretty late in the game, it is highly recommended if you want to produce things in your city faster. Alone, a factory gives +25% productivity. With power through one of the three power plants, you get an additional +50% productivity. With a forge, you can have up to +100% productivity in a city. Add this with some productive resources like aluminum, iron, coal, or copper, and daaaaamn! How about with Ironworks? Production would practically skyrocket to around +200% if you have both coal and iron for it!

There are four ways to get power in your city:

1. Coal Plant - Let it be known that even though you can build a coal plant without coal, you do need coal for power. However, along with a factory, this brings a total of +3 unhealthiness. That's not good, so try to counteract that with aqueducts (with Masonry, Mathematics) and hospitals (with Medicine). I actually recommend this if you also focus your research on Ecology, which then you can build recycling plants. Recycling plants eliminate all unhealthiness caused by buildings. Ultimately, a coal plant will have the features of a hydro plant, but only eventually.

2. Nuclear Plant - A nuclear plant requires uranium to give power. Although it doesn't give off unhealthiness, it has a small chance of a nuclear meltdown. It says "small", but personally in due time a nuclear meltdown will occur, but that's if you play for quite a long time. If you're close to year 2050 (for a time victory), I doubt a nuclear meltdown will happen so soon. But if you're trying to withstand the test of time, avoid this and just go with a coal plant or hydro plant.

3. Hydro Plant - Obviously, the best of the three. The only drawback is that you can only build this in cities next to a river, not the ocean. If your city can build a hydro plant, be sure to pick this out of all three because it is clean and doesn't cause a nuclear meltdown.

Now, above all else for the +50% prouctivity, there is a world wonder that also gives power:

4. The Three Gorges Dam - You can start building this as soon as you build plastics (Plastics can be built after Industrialism). This world wonder gives power to all cities on the continent that it is built on. So, only build it on the continent where you have the most cities for maximum effect! If you have 6 or so cities on a continent, just rush for this so you don't have to waste turns making power plants for every one! You should think of this as a priority when you're playing on a single continent, such as Pangaea and Great Plains.

(If you have better strategies when it comes to power plants, please be sure to comment and I'll change this post accordingly!)

actually a
forge gives +25%
a Factory gives +25%
Powered Factory gives +50%

for a total of +100% (the power 50 is added to the factory's 25 base)

Unless one is having serious health issues, coal and waiting for recycling seems to be better than nuclear (hydro/3GD being the best of course)

Riiiight. ;)

Fixed!

Am i alone in finding it iratating that this and many other games think its so likley the nuclear plants go boom?

Far better i would think to give them unhapiness boost to the city - match current (if in my opinion misguisded) opiions on the matter!

CargoCult said:
Am i alone in finding it iratating that this and many other games think its so likley the nuclear plants go boom?

The rate in the game seems similar to the rate that we've observed it to happen in the real world (one catastrophic real-world meltdown, in less than 50 years of nuclear power).

Maybe your objection is that the game should let you decide whether to build safer plants which are more expensive to build and operate (as in the US and Western Europe), or to cut corners on construction and maintenance (as the Russians did). In the game, there's just a single fixed price, which presumably represents something like the average of those.

Fair point satistically

i'd forgotten the time frame ;-)

was a composite objection from both here and sim city...

i'd say though a 4th powerplant would be a bit confusing, though a resonable idea

If you're going for a spaceship with lots of cottages, coal plants are the best.

1. They are 25% cheaper than hydro, and available with an earlier tech.
2. You're going to get Ecology soon anyway.
3. Your best city will be tied up building Apollo and spaceship parts, so 3 Gorges Dam is a waste of production.
4. -2 health costs you about 4 shields/turn. If the game is going to be over soon, your investment in a cleaner plant will never pay off.

Just wanted to add that a recycling center does NOT negate the 2 unhealthiness from a coal plant (at least in 1.52, don't know about before). Found that out by mousing over the health situation in a city with coal plant and recycling center

This world wonder gives power to all cities on the continent that it is built on. So, only build it on the continent where you have the most cities for maximum effect! If you have 6 or so cities on a continent, just rush for this so you don't have to waste turns making power plants for every one!

I find this a bit confusing, with respect. The Electricity tech provides electricity to your entire civ, correct? So if you mean electricity when you write "power," then it's the tech, not the TGD Project, that delivers. And the Project doesn't replace all power plants. Does it replace all hydro power stations? Or does it simply increase their effectiveness?

Imagine I have a city with Factory and Coal Plant, and Coal. (so I get +3 unhealthy).
If I build later an Hydro Plant, will I go back to only +1 unhealthy?

That's great news indeed!
Happy new year to you! ;)

DaveMcW said:
If you're going for a spaceship with lots of cottages, coal plants are the best.

1. They are 25% cheaper than hydro, and available with an earlier tech.
2. You're going to get Ecology soon anyway.
3. Your best city will be tied up building Apollo and spaceship parts, so 3 Gorges Dam is a waste of production.
4. -2 health costs you about 4 shields/turn. If the game is going to be over soon, your investment in a cleaner plant will never pay off.

OTOH, if you're going for a spaceship with lots of cottages, you may have plenty of cash around to rush stuff with. 2 turns wasted in one city (to take off that first turn fee) and one huge chunk of cash may be worth it compared with the time and/or money to build a coal plant in every city (even just every city you're going to use for the spaceship). You can't rush Apollo or the parts, so if you've got money piling up or a Great Engineer sitting around, it's better spent here than not at all.

The big downside I see is to 3GD is just that it shows up later in the tech tree. Not much later, but depending on your tech path it may make a big difference.

If one has a coal plant and builds the 3 Gorges dam, will all the coal plants one has become obsolete? I tried selling the coal plants or dismantaling them and had no luck. Any suggestions?

Babake said:
If one has a coal plant and builds the 3 Gorges dam, will all the coal plants one has become obsolete? I tried selling the coal plants or dismantaling them and had no luck. Any suggestions?

The coal plants are no longer used, and so they won't generate a health penalty. They stay around, and, e.g., if someone were to capture the 3 Gorges Dam from you, then they would resume functioning (and the health penalty would return). There's no way to dismantle plants, but there's not much reason to do so, as they don't cost anything to maintain.

But there IS a rather nasty bug.

I accidentally went with the suggestion of a city and built a nuke plant; I then built the 3-gorges dam one city over. I tried like crazy to find a way to ditch the nuke plant, but as far as I can tell it's impossible.

I don't know about coal plants and unhealthiness, but the nuke plant had a meltdown in less than 30 turns. :nuke: :blush: :nuke:

Hi,

What if I went and built all three power plants? I wouldnt get the bonuses three times? If not, which plant would the city utilize?

CargoCult said:

Far better i would think to give them unhapiness boost to the city - match current (if in my opinion misguisded) opiions on the matter!
I know the statistics on this have already been gone over. What I would like to see however is that the percentage of meltdowns should go down as time passes. A nuke plant now is considerably safer than Chernobyl or Three Mile Island. Speaking of them if you do have a meltdown your other plants should become safer as a result, it was the accidents at these locations that drove much of the current saftey regulations. And finally with the discovery of Fusion your plants should become meltdown free.

Top Bottom