Environmental: World Size

Which world size do we want to play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
Not much to discuss on world size, so here goes.

Some options may not be available in every map type. If the chosen option is not available, we will take the closest one available for that type of map. In the case of a chosen setting which is exactly between two available settings, we will choose the larger available setting.

This poll will be scored cumulatively. For those new to the DemoGame, cumulative scoring is used when there is a set of responses which can be ordered from biggest to smallest, earliest to latest, etc. To determine the winner of a cumulative poll, start on one end of the responses with a cumulative vote of 0. Go through each option, add its raw votes to the cumulative total, and then give that option a score of the total. The first one which has a cumulative total greater than half the number of votes cast is the winner.

Now, on to the question.

What map size should we play?
  • Tiny
  • Small
  • Standard
  • Large
  • Huge
  • Abstain

I'd prefer huge but one of the problems that could happen with this is, the time it would take to complete turns as civ4 seems to be fairly slow at loading each turn, a lot slower than civ 3.

wow, wish mine was like that, my pc goes so slow with civ4, i like the new features and everything to do with civ4 but how i wish i could make it go a bit faster without shelling out for new parts when i meet all the specs.

It depends if your system is memory bound, or CPU bound. If it's memory bound and you don't mind not having alt-tab support, then the special memory reduction mode shipped with patch 1.52 may help.

Alt-tab support is the ability to hit alt-tab during a game and do something else outside the game (it minimizes it). It's useful for when you're playing a game in fullscreen and someone sends you an instant message, or something of that sort.

I chose Large because it makes for a more epic and fun game, but Huge would just make it too complex for the 1st demogame. If it's sprawled out too much then it is harder to manage. It would also be longer before we discovered our opponents. A tighter map is more exciting, because when all the civs are closer together, they run out of land quicker and start jockeying for position sooner.

Of course, this all depends on the number of AI civs there will be. I am new to this website and demogame thing, and find it very fascinating. However, I looked through many threads but was unable to find out how many other civs there will be present in the game. Has it been decided upon yet?

Standard is by far superior to anything larger. It allows for 5 cities but also makes it so that the turn time durring the modern age after you have the holy city for a major religon dosnt take 30 minutes.

Sigma said:
Alt-tab support is the ability to hit alt-tab during a game and do something else outside the game (it minimizes it). It's useful for when you're playing a game in fullscreen and someone sends you an instant message, or something of that sort.

Thanks for the info, I tried it and found Alt-tab no different that hitting the start button to minimize it.

-the Wolf

Alphawolf said:
Thanks for the info, I tried it and found Alt-tab no different that hitting the start button to minimize it.

-the Wolf

Right, either one works the same. The low memory thing included in 1.52 either disables both methods of switching to another program, or the game malfunctions when you switch -- so online chats would be completely impossible for anyone trying to play and chat on the same system.

Top Bottom