New Unit: Noble Archer(12/27/2005)

Sword_Of_Geddon

Arbiter of the Sword
Korean Archer from one of the royal courts. Ogedai could tell you alot more about this guy than I could. :) Enjoy. Up next: Russian Infantry.

Attachments

• Noble.jpg
    Noble.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 993
  • Noble Archer.zip
    400.4 KB · Views: 742
You keep improving!
The fortify is good, and blend well with the AttackA.
The attack is a bit strange: he can draw his bow without touching the cord while taking an arrow from the quiver and notching it!
Advice: make him take the arrow, notch it, and after that pull the arm backward and draw the bow before releasing the arrow. The animation will be a bit longer, but will also be a lot more reallistic.
For the death animation, I would have him bend a little less forward.
Keep up with the good job!

And now, to the indians:whipped: ;)

I imagine archery units are significantly difficult to master (I haven't tried one yet, might eventually though), most of what Steph has said is pretty good, the only other thing I might add is you might want to make the arrow fly a little faster, once its properly launched.

Everything else is quite amazing. The run is flawless. :thumbsup:

I think that the fortify-animation is facing the wrong way... (i.e. Fortify_east is actually facing south).
And the attack looks just strange, the bow drawing itself.... :)
While the run looks nice, his legs actually sometimes come through the back of those long white cape-like things, but that's not a big deal at all :)

Nice, Korean flavour units aren't very popular, we need more:)

Keep up the good work:goodjob:

Looks really good, SoG. I'm loving the flavour.

aaglo said:
I think that the fortify-animation is facing the wrong way... (i.e. Fortify_east is actually facing south).
And the attack looks just strange, the bow drawing itself.... :)
While the run looks nice, his legs actually sometimes come through the back of those long white cape-like things, but that's not a big deal at all :)

Thanks for the advice Aaglo, I appreciate it alot coming from you.

Everyone else thanks for the compliments.

Aluminium said:
Your units become better. :)
Just the flc offset has to be 15 pixel higher for the correct view in the game. It can be changed in Flicster, or Civ3Edit, or with a hex editor program.

Or you could just use this camera & lighting setup (used by the great and powerful Kinboat):

Main Camera
Focal: 100mm
hither: 0.016
DollyZ: 0.800
DollyY: 0.100
DollyX: 0.000
zScale: 100%
yScale: 100%
xScale: 100%
Scale: 394%
zOrbit: 0
xOrbit: -30
yOrbit: 0

The Other cameras don't need any particular settings.

Main Light (Light 2)
Shadow: 1.000
Map Size: 256
xRotate: -65
yRotate: 30
zRotate: 0
Scale: 55%
Red: 1.000
Green: 1.000
Blue: 1.000
Intensity: 100%

Secondary Light 1 (Light 1)
xRotate: 0
yRotate: -55
Intensity: 50%

Secondary Light 2 (Light 3)
xRotate: 0
yRotate: 55
Intensity: 50%

Shadows are turned off under Light Properties for all lights except the Main Light.

Also, what Steph said about the attack is dead on... make sure you keyframe the bow so that it is not bent when the arrow is nocked, then have his hand follow the bow back until it is bent, then release the arrow and unbend the bow over 1-2 frames, and have the arrow move in proportion to that.... If you had the DAZ AIko 3 with her Crafted Swordswoman outfit and the longbow available from Renderosity's free section (with Kinboat's Samurai Quiver), then I could send you the PZ3 file of the Ranger I made so that you could see how I did the attack sequence on that....

I don't think that model is availible there anymore, I haven't seen any free anime-ish models there to be honest. :(

I had alittle problem with the arrow during the attack animation. The problem is that with each rotation of the rotate ball the arrow seemed to "Correct" itself, and the new direction was whobbly and didn't make any sense. I had to manaully correct it each time so it flew straight. This also ment I couldn't get the arrow to release at the same time as the bow was de-cocked, and still have it look right. Arrows are a pain...

Here's a tip on how I do units: I don't create a ball like Kinboat does.... I just Parent the Main figure and all independant props directly to the ground plain object, and I have no trouble. with that whatsoever. You see, I didn't download Kinboat's "Unit Setup" PZ2 file, because I have Poser 5 and of course things work a bit different, and at the time, my Internet connection was so bad I couldn't download the file, so I asked Kinboat if he could post his exact camera and light settings, and I've used them ever since. BTW, the Scale part of the main camera is not set in stone.... You'll need to adjust it depending on what your BG size is and what type of units you make. I found that with Humanoid units in a 100x100 BG, 500% works great.

Top Bottom