UU:English Longbowman

Hell's Angel

Chieftain
This is the English version of the longbowman...
I was quite disappointed seeing that the English UU was not the Longbowman, so i'll be making this into a second UU for the English.:D

The screenshot..
longbowman.JPG
and the .dds
View attachment longbowman_128.zip

A much needed unit. Nicely done. I just finished an elven longbowman myself so I know it's not the easiest skinning job. :goodjob:

"Why're they better?"
"Because they're ENGLISH."
"Ah yes, quite. Come, let's do one of those drive-by argument thingummies!"
"Ah, yes, indeed. Dawson! Fecth my Macintosh and a good brandy!"

Quite good skinning job here.

Hi Woodelf,

Any chance of persuading you to post the elven longbowman in another thread?

I was disappointed that the English UU was not the Longbowman, I think it would have made a better UU than the Redcoat (which was British, not English)
but I am not complaining because the Redcoat is still a good UU but the English Longbowman would have have been better.

Mongolia said:
I was disappointed that the English UU was not the Longbowman, I think it would have made a better UU than the Redcoat (which was British, not English)
but I am not complaining because the Redcoat is still a good UU but the English Longbowman would have have been better.

Only thing is is that the longbowmen were only used for a brief time, as gunpowder was imported to Europe, while the Redcoat was used from the 1700's to the mid 1800's (later if you count different weapon/hat minor changes.)\\

And the British Infantry are made with the right promotins too..

Anyways, as a second uu they are great, and these look good!

GM

I disagree, I know that Longbowman were still used well after when gunpowder was brought to England because gunpowder units of the time where still so unrealiable.

Mongolia said:
I disagree, I know that Longbowman were still used well after when gunpowder was brought to England because gunpowder units of the time where still so unrealiable.

The range and accuracy of the longbow were far better than early gunpowder. The main reason I like this is that, as previously stated, Redcoats were British. The England Civ are clearly based on medieval England, the order of the Cities shows that, and yet their UU is a British Redcoat (the highest regiment in order of precedent are the SCOTTS Guards!!!).

Personally I took the more difficult route of modding the rest of the Civ to be Britain and keeping the Redcoat.

Hell's Angel said:
This is the English version of the longbowman...
I was quite disappointed seeing that the English UU was not the Longbowman, so i'll be making this into a second UU for the English.:D

The screenshot..
View attachment 109791
and the .dds
View attachment 109790

How do I add this to the game?

Is there a concise instruction booklet for adding units?

Only thing is is that the longbowmen were only used for a brief time, as gunpowder was imported to Europe, while the Redcoat was used from the 1700's to the mid 1800's (later if you count different weapon/hat minor changes.)\\

And the British Infantry are made with the right promotins too..

Anyways, as a second uu they are great, and these look good!

GM

Actually the longbow was in fairly heavy usage from about 1250 to 1500, slightly longer than the era of the redcoat. As late as 1472, there was such a demand for the weapons that English ships were ordered to import yew. The last battle fought with the longbow wasn't until Tippermuir in 1644! Although realisitically, the longbow wasn't a major component of English forces after 1500.

The range and accuracy of the longbow were far better than early gunpowder.

Only small arms. Longbows were not rendered obsolete by the gun, but by the cannon. The French, beginning in the mid-1400s, began to use cannon against the fixed positions of the English longbows. The cannons outranged the longbow, and the longbow was not effective unless it was fighting from a prepared ground, i.e. they could not advance outside their stakes or they would be cut down by cavalry. This is what the French began to do beginning in the 1450s, first at Formigny (1450), leading up to Castillon (1453). Formigny and Castillon were to the longbow what Crecy and Agincourt were to the knight.

Top Bottom