CivFanatics File Upload Guide

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
CivFanatics File Upload Guide

There are a few ways to upload a file to CivFanatics, and you should pick one depending on the size of the file you want to upload.

a) Forum Attachments
When making a post or a new thread, you have the option to attach a file to the post directly using the forum attachment feature (by clicking the "Manage Attachments" button). The file size limit for this is 500 KB.

You can help free up valuable forum server space and also improve forum performance by deleting any attachments you no longer need at the attachment management section of your User CP.

b) Easy Upload
For files up to 5 MB, Easy Upload can be use to upload a file to the CivFanatics file server. There is a link to Easy Upload under "Quick Links" near the top of the page and also at the bottom of all forum pages. The link text is "Upload File".

The file types allowed are: gif, jpg, zip, sav, net, ace, pcx, png, Civ4SavedGame, and Civ4Replay. When a file is no longer needed, you can PM Thunderfall the file URL so it can be deleted to save space.

c) FTP Access
For bigger files, you can send a PM to Thunderfall to request FTP access to upload the file to the server directly. The CFC file server hosts files up to 100 MB. Bigger file uploads are allowed, but they will be moved to 3D Download's file server.

If you don't have a FTP program, the open source FileZilla is a good one to download.

d) Upload to 3D Downloads NEW!
Our host Telefragged recently added the ability for mod makers to upload files directly to their 3D Downloads servers. You will need to create an account there first. All file types are allowed and the file size limit is very big (500 MB). More info at http://uploads.3ddownloads.com/

Once the files are uploaded, it usually will be approved within 24 hours and you will be mailed the download link.

Note: These file upload services (except 3D Downloads) are for CivFanatics site use only. Linking to your uploaded files directly from other sites is prohibited.

OTHER NOTES

Uploading Images

If you need to attach images often, you should use these easy to use FREE image hosting services: ImageShack or PhotoBucket. This will help us save server space.

Temporary File Hosting

For temporary hosting of large files or if you need to send a big file to another member, you can use the free YouSendIt service, which allows you to upload up to 1 GB and they host the file for 1 week. There is a limited number of downloads per file.

Below is the updated forum usage guideline for the completed files forums:

----------------------
FILES FORUM USAGE FAQ

What can I post in these files forums?

You can post any file you created to the correct files forums. In your posts, be sure to specify what the file does and provide full installation instructions. Please playtest the file before you post it.

You may not open new threads in the files forum if you don't have file to post.

Can I post beta files/programs in the files forum?

Yes, but please specify the file/program is beta in the thread title and in your post. All unit previews should be posted in the main creation forum.

I have updated my file and I want to edit the thread title to reflect the update. What can I do?

Currently you can only update the thread titles within 30 minutes after the thread is posted. After that, you'll need to PM one of the moderators or the admin to change the title for you. It only takes us a few seconds to change it, so don't hesitate to send one of us a PM if you want to change the thread title.

Can I edit, delete, or replace attachments after it's posted?

Yes, you can. When you have a new version of your file to post, it's a good idea to remove the old attachment from your post so people always download the latest version and save forum resource. You can do this by editing the post. It will allow you to delete the current attachment, replace it with a new atatchment, or just keep the current attachment. You may want to post a little note such as "version 1.0 removed after 850 downloads" to keep track of the number of downloads.

You can not edit or delete files uploaded to the file server (via Easy Upload) or 3D Downloads. If you need to delete any obsolete files, you can email/PM me and I'll delete those old files for you.

Can I create multiple threads for the same file, but different version?

No, all file version update postings for the same file/program must be in the same thread, unless the thread is too long (over 2000 posts).

How can I see how many times my file has been downloaded?

The forum attachment feature has a download counter so this is obvious. The Easy Upload doesn't keep track of number of times download, but the 3D Downloads service does.
---------

If you have a question about file upload, feel free to ask below.

Thunderfall said:
b) Easy Upload
For files up to 3 MB, Easy Upload can be use to upload a file to the CivFanatics file server. There is a link to Easy Upload under "Quick Links" near the top of the page and also at the bottom of all forum pages. The link text is "Upload File".

The file types allowed are: gif, jpg, zip, sav, net, ace, pcx, png, Civ4SavedGame, and Civ4Replay. When a file is no longer needed, you can PM Thunderfall the file URL so it can be deleted to save space.
It's 5MB now isn't it?

Have you considered allowing .RAR file types to be uploaded as well?

is there a way to post downloads here withouy getting a membership to that website of have to download things???

Top Bottom