APC and Combat Engineer MOD

R

Rabbit, White

APC and Combat Engineer MOD v1.0

I'm very excited about this mod as it's my first one and when I started it I wasn't even sure it could be done :crazyeye:.
Anyway, as you can tell from the name I added two new units, APC (armored personnel carrier) and combat engineer.

Combat Engineer - this is a combat-ready worker. In particular, unlike workers, CE's can defend, but cannot attack. Their build options are limited to clearing vegetation, building roads (and railroads), building forts and scrubbing fallout. In addition, CE's provide Aquatic promotion to any combat units (excluding gunship). The aquatic promotion removes penalty for attacking across a river (you still get penalty for attacking from sea). CE's look is based on a reskinned modern worker unit (I blame my lack of talent for the cheesy skin :lol:) Oh, and they work 50% faster.

APC - this is a land-based carrier unit that can carry two units at a time. It can only carry the following units: Infantry, SAM Infantry, Marines, Navy SEALs, Combat Engineers and Machine Gunners. For every unit it carries it gets an additional 15% defense bonus, for up to 30% total. It's a green version of Mechanized Infantry.

I hope you guys give it a try and let me know what you think. I'm especially looking for feedback on cost, tech requirements and any other game balancing issues.

I had couple of more ideas for this mod and maybe you could help me out with them (this is for mod developers mostly).

Spoiler :
For CE's, I wanted to give them the ability to boost heal rate of mechanized units (tanks, catapults, artillery, etc.), the idea being that they act as field mechanics. I couldn't find any way of doing that but I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on that.

For APC's I had the idea that if one of the units they're carrying has any medic-type promotion, then the APC would get the ability to heal in adjacent tiles. However, there doesn't appear to be a way to find what units a unit is carrying (I saw functions for finding out how many units are loaded, and you can find out if some unit is a cargo but no way of knowing if unit A carries unit B).

Great ideas, Rabbit. I really like the CE concept.

Thanks Sevo. I had few more ideas about these units and I'm gonna see if they're doable.

I was expecting a bit more feedback though, to be honest. :) Do people find these not necessary or not useful?

I made them cause I feel that sometimes land combat tends to drag down, even tanks can't make it over hills faster than 1 move/turn, and with rivers being such a strategically important feature it's even harder to quickly get units up to cities and start attacking them.

CE is a great concept that I always employ. Heck even the oman legions built roads as they won territory.

:goodjob: I love the Combat engineers reminds me of "The Fighting Seabees with John Wayne" The APC is an okay idea. I would take the APC out and just modify the Mechanized Infantry to carry the units like in real life. Sorry to be a critic.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=165005

Here is a thread that I started; I guess great minds think alike. I like the APC but would like to see earlier versions of it. War Wagon or what have you.

I also like the CE but I had different ideas.

I thought about making the Milita and the Warrior Worker a cylical upgrade. If your unit is a Warrior Worker and you see an army you can upgrade them to a Milita for lets say 20/unit gold. When they are Milita they lose their worker abilities and can fight modertaly. Once the war is over you can 'upgrade' them back to a Warrior Worker for lets say 10 gold/unit. They would lose their fighting abilities and go back to workers. I think the cost of 'upgrading' back and fourth could be tinkered with to make it balanced enough so that you would have to be stratgic about it.

I like then mixing in your idea about having Techs that would make stronger and stronger Warrior Workers and Milita/National Guard!

I am going to try the War Wagon (only my 2nd mod) but will wait on the Warrior Worker. What do you think are the possiblities of making a looping upgrade?

I have tried to creat a War Wagon. I used your APC as a guide. I was able to creat the War Wagon (based off the chariot) but I was unable to get units to load into it. Do you have any information on how to do that? I am not a Python guy, I have only worked on my personal civ, this is my second mod effort. Thanks!

Top Bottom