The Days of Khan Early Bird IX

*Satis

Bloody Fool
Here we go, folks. Comments on a postcard please. Turnset will be played either 24 hours after this post, or if too little advice has been received, 12hours after that, and so on.

DOMESTIC ADVISOR

Our empire consists of five great cities. Each has its strengths and weaknesses; the individual Governors' reports below will contain more details about these. In general, however, we have two highly productive cities that are capable of producing military units, one city with a massive food surplus, and two underdeveloped backwaters that could one day be worth possessing. None of our cities have any current or imminent problems with Health, but Happiness is causing a great deal of trouble. More workers are required to exploit resources to deal with this problem. The goals for our workers should be, in order:

1) Hook up the Gold by Ning-Hsia
2) Hook up the Gems by Old Sarai
3) Link all settlements to the road network
4) Construct mines in the vicinity of Beshbalik
5) Hook up the Copper around Ning-Hsia, once the Arabs have been dealt with
6) Clear jungles and construct mines around Old Sarai

At present we have five workers, with one in construction. I recommend we keep producing nothing but workers in Beshbalik for the forseeable future."

KARAKORUM GOVERNOR'S REPORT
"Our capital should be allowed to grow by one more population point. This will put it into a state of temporary disorder, which will be alleviated almost immediately by the gold reserves we are due to exploit. Karakorum is ready, willing and able to contribute to the production of our army."

BESHBALIK GOVERNOR'S REPORT
"I recommend we stop growth immediately. Beshbalik should return to order once gold is available. Then, when further luxuries are connected, we can allow growth once more. Thanks to its high food output, Beshbalik is the perfect location for producing Settlers, Workers and Great People. Its hammer output is pitifully low, however, and some way to increase this should be considered a priority."

TURFAN GOVERNOR'S REPORT
"Welcome to Turfan, the crowning glory of the Mongol empire! The city is our most productive settlement, soon to expand to a population of 7. Turfan, right on the Egyptian border, should produce the majority of our army. Its happiness status is the same as Karakorum. We should allow it to grow by one more point, then halt growth until another luxury becomes available."

NING-HSIA GOVERNOR'S REPORT
"At present, Ning-Hsia has but two functions: To guard the southern portion of our empire against Arabic expansion, and to supply gold to the northern areas. In the future, however, this backwoods hovel will become a formidable centre of trade and industry, thanks to plentiful reserves of gold and copper. I recommend fast development of our urban infrastructure, coupled with exploitation of our copper reserves once the Arab threat is neutralised."

OLD SARAI GOVERNOR'S REPORT
"As the newest of our cities, Sarai is yet to make a worthwhile contribution to Mongolia. It is an infested swamp surrounded by jungle where no right-minded person would want to live. However, thanks to the recent invention of iron tools, we can cut back the jungle to improve public health and create farmland. Sarai also carries the potential to produce many hammers, once it is exploited properly."

FINANCIAL ADVISOR
"We're skint. There's bugger-all coming in, and our trasury is currently a small box containing two pathetic pieces of gold. Running costs for our empire amount to 19 gpt (7 to maintain Civics and 12 to maintain cities). 23gpt is going towards science - not much, but it's all we can afford. The invention of some form of Currency is vital to our continued greatness. Other actions to be taken without delay are the exploitation of Gold around Ning-Hsia and Sarai, and the exploitation of Gems around Sarai. Later on, we should write a Code Of Laws and construct Courthouses to reduce maintenance costs."

CIVICS ADVISOR
"It's slavery or nothing. Slaves reduce the upkeep of cities, so I recommend we continue with it for the time being. No other Civics are in sight, so if anybody wants me I'll be on vacation. Thebes seems nice."

FOREIGN ADVISOR
"Kill Arabs. Be nice to Egyptians. Let's work towards getting some ships out to explore the world! Neither Saladin nor Hatshepsut have any strong feelings towards either us, or each other. The chances of Egyptian intervention in the war are slim to none. We are dimly aware of two other civilizations, the Aztecs and the English, although we know nothing whatsoever about them."

MILITARY ADVISOR
"Our military is tiny, barely adequate to the task of protecting our borders. We currently have four Archers defending cities, one Keshik (soon to be released) in Ning-Hsia, and the nucleus of an offensive force massing on the Arabian border. We also have a Chariot (presently guarding our gold against thieving Arabs), that has the Sentry promotion. Two of our cities are capable of making a sizeable contribution to our military - Karakorum and Turfan. My recommendations are:

1) Dramatically increase the size of our infantry forces. We should have at least ten swordsmen, half as many axemen, and a few archers before we move into Arab lands.
2) Relieve the Chariot from defending the gold and replace it with an Axeman. The Chariot, with its superb scouting range, should scout out the Arabian border to determine Saladin's military strength. The attached map shows the points where the chariot can gather the best information.
3) Relieve the Keshik from defending Karakorum and have him shadow Saladin's warrior to our south-east.
4) Bring the Scout down through Egypt to help us scout Saladin's territory.
5) Produce Keshiks to pillage Saladin's mines once the war begins. If we can prevent him replacing his losses, the war can be won without a great deal of trouble.
6) Extend the road leading from Karakorum to the Arabian border, to facilitate swift reinforcement.
7) Produce a number of Catapults once the technology is available. These will make Arab cities a great deal more vulnerable.
8) If Saladin is found to be using cavalry, or if our foot soldiers are ineffective, they should be augmented by War Elephants."

SCIENCE ADVISOR
"Our science rate is way too low. The Financial Advisor has detailed some ways to increase our revenue (and thus our science), so I'll concentrate on what we should be researching:

Compass
We have the opportunity to gain this tech right now, if we use our Great Scientist. It would allow us to construct Harbors in Beshbalik, Ning-Hsia and Sarai, increasing trade route revenues in those cities by 50%.

Construction
Currently the focus of our research, Construction will grant us Catapults and War Elephants. I do not recommend changing anything here.

Calendar
Stonehange currently provides a free obelisk in every city. These are responsible for our widespread cultural influence, and it should be borne in mind that Calendar would halt this effect. However, we would gain access to Karakorum's Bananas, plus Silk and Dyes once Arabia is subjugated.

Literature
The Great Library would be a phenomenal augmentation to our scientific efforts, if we were to build it.

Engineering
Should the Arabian war turn against us, Engineering would be a blessing. We could build Castles that would stand for a thousand years!

Metal Casting
Forges and Workshops would be handy for Beshbalik especially, and everywhere else to some extent. The Colossus would increase our gold output significantly.

Religious Technologies
Our best chance at a religion is probably Taoism through Philosophy (Meditation and either Code Of Laws or Drama) I recommend we trade for Meditation, and take the Code Of Laws route.

My gut feeling is that the war with Arabia will be over before we know it, so after Construction we should concentrate on Metal Casting, Calendar, Currency, Literature and Code of Laws. We can then set about getting our science rate back up to 100%, founding Taoism if we wish, and putting it about. Other priorities are Optics to allow us to explore the world and Feudalism for an improved military."

RELIGIOUS ADVISOR
"Hatshepsut is the founder member of Hinduism. Saladin, like us, is currently an Atheist. Hatshepsut has also founded Judaism and Confucianism, while Buddhism was discovered in a distant land some time ago. This means that if we want our own religion, we have to get Taoism, Islam or Christianity. Otherwise, we wait for Hinduism to spread to our lands and convert to it, thus improving relations with Hatshepsut."

DEMOGRAPHICS
"We are first-ranked in the world for crop yields, the size of our military, and life expectancy. A close second for Land Area, a distant second in GNP and population and far down the list in terms of manufacturing. The life expectancy of our citizens is a rather elderly 71 years!"

Attachments

• VistaPoints.JPG
    VistaPoints.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 266
I mentioned this before, but Construction.

While our military juggernaut rolls over the Arabs, we should go for Metal Casting (Forges), Compass, Machinery, Optics.

Ships are good. Trade, +1 navy move bonus. Improved science (more civs = faster sciences // better science trades)

Religion? When we have no religious techs at all? Hah.

I am for this war. Let's hope for lots of nice promotions and heroic epics!

To all: if your computer's clock is set correctly, then the time of play will be 24 hours after the timestamp of the post right before this one, just a day later.

For me that's 11:30 AM today, MST -- 1:30 PM EST, 10:30 PST.

Dear friends who are left in the tiny community of the Warmup Demogame,

It has been a honor and a pleasure to play the game with you. I'm now leaving the Demogame all together and wish you all the best for the game ahead of you! Even though I know I'm in position to say do, I'm still begging you, don't let the Warmup game die!

Good night, and good luck!

Hellooooo!

The latest turnset has been played! Enclosed is a Governors' report detailing the many events that have taken place in Mongolia during the reign of Khan Early Bird IX.

Turn-by-turn Report

Turn 0 - BC 240
Karakorum labour redistributed to slow growth. Scientist created.
Turfan labour redistributed to slow growth. Scientist created.
Construction in 5 turns…
Ning-Hsia labour redistributed to create more gold & hammers. Production changed to Barracks (5 turns).

Turn 1 - BC 200
Chariot moved to Vista #2.
Growth halted in Turfan & Karakorum.
Gold mine begun.

Turn 2 - BC 160
Archer completed in Karakorum. Garrison I; sent to Ning-Hsia. Sword begun.
Scout sent to Memphis.

Turn 3 - BC 120
Gold mine completed! Worker completed in Beshbalik. Work Boat begun.
Chariot arrives at Vista Point 2. Damascus and Baghdad scoped (VistaMap.jpg).
Growth restarted in Turfan and Karakorum.

Turn 4 - BC 80
Construction researched! Metal Casting (7) taken as next tech.

Turn 5 – BC 40

Turn 6 – 1 AD

Turn 7 – 40 AD
Saladin’s Warrior has disappeared from our south-east.

Turn 8 – 80 AD

Turn 9 – 120 AD
Gems hooked up.

Turn 10 – 160 AD.
Final turn. Khan Early Bird IX is crushed to death in a freak elephant incident and the office of DP is declared vacant...

Summary
Karakorum, Turfan and Beshbalik are now highly effective cities operating at full capacity. Old Sarai is on the way to becoming a healthy, wealthy settlement. Ning-Hsia, with bolstered defences, is now making a valuable contribution. A second iron mine was exploited, reducing the threat posed by a razing of Karakorum. Gems and gold were also exploited, and the luxuries they produced led directly to greater productivity in Karakorum, Turfan and Beshbalik.

Cashflow issues were resolved. It is regrettably not possible to move above a Science Rate of 50%, but the treasury is growing and it may soon be possible to move up to 60% for extended periods.

The Arabian border was scouted, and Saladin's defences catalogued. In those settlements we are able to see, only Archers and a single Warrior were spotted. This is excellent news; it means our forces will be able to crush three of Saladin's cities and move rapidly on to Mecca. As for Mecca itself, we know nothing. However, as every Arab seen thus far has been either a Warrior or an Archer, the War Department sees little cause for concern. We do not believe that Saladin has presently has access to horses, copper or iron. We know he has Elephants, but we also know that he has not yet researched Construction.

Metal Casting will be acquired in 2 turns. A Great Scientist is still available.

Mongolia is now ranked #1 or #2 in every category on the Demographics screen. We have the largest army, the greatest production of food and hammers, and the longest life expectancy.

Life Expectancy (Citizens): 68 years
Life Expectancy (Khans): 400 years, elephant incidents notwithstanding.

Attachments
The save!
Vista Map - Damascus' and Baghdad's defences in plain view.
Vista Medina - The naked city of Medina will surely not stand!

Attachments

• Vista Map.JPG
    Vista Map.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 219
  • Vista Medina.JPG
    Vista Medina.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 310
Sorry for this shameless bump, but if we're gonna follow the same order as last time, Piparoo needs to play his turn... Right?

Top Bottom